Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

Are your scales buffed or unbuffed?

I agree a little more traction would be better.

I get mine with unbuffed scales and it helps.

I'm excited to see what v2.0 brings, but in no means in a rush for it having the current FK.

Such a great time to be a knife enthusiast.

They are buffed. I'm not sure I'd want unbuffed on this one. For me this knife is not something I will be able to carry on a day to day basis.. so guts, oil and dirt are pretty much garunteed when I do use it. I like the idea of the handle material being more sealed and easily cleaned.

I have a Lionsteel M5 tucked next to my drivers seat, (because.. you never know) so when I opened the box on this FK, that was the first comparison I made. The deeper milling on the M5 handle felt more grippy, so that was the basis of my observation.

The knives are similar in size, but the balance is a little different. Also, the FK is more comfortable in multiple grip positions. I have not had an opportunity to really put either knife through any sort of work, so I can't comment on anything other than how each knife feels in hand.

And, yes.. I also feel fortunate to be involved in this knife renaissance we are experiencing. Technology in both material manufacturing and communications has allowed some extremely rapid growth and maturation.

Mike,

Many designers, manufacturers, makers and enthusiasts would put forward the theroy that with regards to the ultimate level of grip that a knife handle provides, the majority of the grip is generated by it's shape, not texture.

Thus a poorly formed handle, for your hand shape and strength will lead to over gripping thus fatigue. And if it incorporates an aggressive texture to offset the poor shape, said texture will also create hotspots and damage your skin.

So, for my preference the heavier the knife, and the higher the intended amount of force I expect to apply in it's use, the material requires a higher level of grip.

For me, my grip, use, comfort level, intended contact with fluids etc buffed and thus better sealed materials are preferred on smaller knives while larger knives require more texture.

The line for me is around the LC. I've used both buffed and unbuffed micarta on the LC and found that unbuffed does have some great uses, like wet. But also find that a knife being swung that hard should also perhaps be used best with a rested grip and a dry hand.

Think of an axe handle. I'd swing that axe with more force than a LC, and I have a well worn BLO coated handle, no texture at all. Alllll shape.

Hence why I prefer an axe for safety when doing axe work.

YMMV.

Mike,

Many designers, manufacturers, makers and enthusiasts would put forward the theroy that with regards to the ultimate level of grip that a knife handle provides, the majority of the grip is generated by it's shape, not texture.

Thus a poorly formed handle, for your hand shape and strength will lead to over gripping thus fatigue. And if it incorporates an aggressive texture to offset the poor shape, said texture will also create hotspots and damage your skin.

So, for my preference the heavier the knife, and the higher the intended amount of force I expect to apply in it's use, the material requires a higher level of grip.

For me, my grip, use, comfort level, intended contact with fluids etc buffed and thus better sealed materials are preferred on smaller knives while larger knives require more texture.

The line for me is around the LC. I've used both buffed and unbuffed micarta on the LC and found that unbuffed does have some great uses, like wet. But also find that a knife being swung that hard should also perhaps be used best with a rested grip and a dry hand.

Think of an axe handle. I'd swing that axe with more force than a LC, and I have a well worn BLO coated handle, no texture at all. Alllll shape.

Hence why I prefer an axe for safety when doing axe work.

YMMV.

Man.. there are a lot of aspects to hit on in the shape/texture/balance discussion. I appreciate your thoughts on it, and I want to make sure my response reflects the consideration I'm giving it. I had a giant post typed, but I wasn't satisfied with my level of explanation. I'm going to revisit this when I've had an opportunity to organize myself. This is a bit of a black hole for me..

Also, quick aside.. we are on page 91. 91 Alpha.. hooah.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try to tackle this one piece at a time. The way I see it, there are 4 aspects to generally consider for handle design: size/shape, materials, weight/balance, tactility.

First: Size/shape - the axe handle. A good point to start,.as many axes have handles shaped for swinging. Your anchor hand usually moves down to the swell as a backstop. This ensures maximum leverage of the axe and creates massive power. In this sense, your hands must slide to transition from control to maximum leverage and chopping force. Tactility during those operations isn't needed..its all about filling the hand at the backstop, and allowimg transitional power to generate from the base of the swing

My next comparison will begin to transition from the axe power/handles, to knife balace and weight

Man.. there are a lot of aspects to hit on in the shape/texture/balance discussion. I appreciate your thoughts on it, and I want to make sure my response reflects the consideration I'm giving it. I had a giant post typed, but I wasn't satisfied with my level of explanation. I'm going to revisit this when I've had an opportunity to organize myself. This is a bit of a black hole for me..

Also, quick aside.. we are on page 91. 91 Alpha.. hooah.

/salute.

Should we both bring of the long winded type move this to a different thread? Lol

Now that's just mean.

It's down right nasty...

autocollant_psychotique_souriant-r208db80a3fe7465c9b74b7d18644799d_v9waf_8byvr_152.jpg

Back