Please explain what is and isn't "trolling"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a few members don't like my "style", that is fine - for them. The members don't get to choose who is or isn't contributing, which is wonderful. You don't get a vote, I don't get a vote, marcinek doesn't get a vote. As it should be.

Precisely. The members don't...the mods do. And when they feel someone is not contributing, they hand out infractions.

I like to have conversations about knives and knifemaking and regularly contribute accurate information and enjoyable discussion topics in general, blade-making and outdoor forums. If that isn't "love" of a discussion forum, I don't know what is.

If a few members don't like my "style", that is fine - for them. The members don't get to choose who is or isn't contributing, which is wonderful. You don't get a vote, I don't get a vote, marcinek doesn't get a vote. As it should be.

You do know your post history is searchable right? You mostly post in General where you argue over anything. Next you post mostly in W&C which is where you argue without the no arguing rules. Next you have shop talk. After that it is right here where you post threads after you get a little slap on the knuckles or you decided to take up a crusade. How you could possibly think comparing a video about a dumb girlfriend to those who you are "discussing" patents with is not trolling, I just don't understand.

You do know your post history is searchable right? You mostly post in General where you argue over anything. Next you post mostly in W&C which is where you argue without the no arguing rules. Next you have shop talk. After that it is right here where you post threads after you get a little slap on the knuckles or you decided to take up a crusade. How you could possibly think comparing a video about a dumb girlfriend to those who you are "discussing" patents with is not trolling, I just don't understand.

It isn't a crusade - I'm certainly not the one trying to get anyone banned. I'm trying to understand what the mods believe the rules are as they apply to me and others. I've struggled with understanding that since I first came to you and Marcinek's attention and you started following me around. So I'm asking for clarification. I can take the theories offered by Philll, Mturbo and others, I can take your theories, or I can ignore both and ask the source.

It isn't a crusade - I'm certainly not the one trying to get anyone banned. I'm trying to understand what the mods believe the rules are as they apply to me and others. I've struggled with understanding that since I first came to you and Marcinek's attention and you started following me around. So I'm asking for clarification. I can take the theories offered by Philll, Mturbo and others, I can take your theories, or I can ignore both and ask the source.

Okay then. Good luck.

What is trolling? This is trolling. With some passive-aggressive mod sass as garnish.

Unfortunately this is old news. Marcinek always seems to get a pass to antagonize as he pleases. You're not the first person to bring this up so don't expect anything to be done about it. Just ignore him.

It wasn't trolling it was contributing to the conversation. Something you are most definitely NOT doing...

It wasn't trolling it was contributing to the conversation. Something you are most definitely NOT doing...

I added as much as you did, nothing. What the blithering crap do you think you contributed to the conversation with that post? Funny that you ducked the accusation of mod sass. Obviously you have an issue with how the moderation staff treats a certain member, and you're passively-aggressively calling them out on that. Otherwise, why mention it, or even make that post in the first place?

And yes, I'm aware of the irony of me calling you out as a troll, without a dog in the original fight, only to accuse another member of trolling, so don't bother bringing that up. Because you have no dog in this fight here either, but are only here to troll and call out a specific member and bash the moderation staff for not agreeing with you.

Maybe RX needs this explained to him in a way that maybe he will understand. So let's have a little story time.

Two kids go to Florida for spring break. One of them posts all these stupid selfies of himself partying his brains out and doing other amazingly stupid things all over F*book, Twatter and Instacrab in all his glorious stupidity.

The other guy parties just as hard but manages not to post his sh*t all over the place.
Flash forward a few months after graduation. Both apply for a job and when the prospective employer do an online search.... guess what shows up and guess again at who gets the job.

Now idiot number one gets all hot and bothered and starts throwing around accusations of favoritism. Why does this only happen to me?

So RX it boils down to this...Stop being a whiny, trolling bitch.

Last edited:
If could take a stab at answering the OP here, it would be this;

There are some people creating a bunch of work for the mods- by mods, I would be talking about the Supers..They may be getting tired of the work and may be issuing infractions because of that fact.

This is just a guess.

Maybe RX needs this explained to him in a way that maybe he will understand. So let's have a little story time.

Two kids go to Florida for spring break. One of them posts all these stupid selfies of himself partying his brains out and doing other amazingly stupid things all over F*book, Twatter and Instacrab in all his glorious stupidity.

The other guy parties just as hard but manages not to post his sh*t all over the place.
Flash forward a few months after graduation. Both apply for a job and when the prospective employer do an online search.... guess what shows up and guess again at who gets the job.

Now idiot number one gets all hot and bothered and starts throwing around accusations of favoritism. Why does this only happen to me?

So RX it boils down to this...Stop being a whiny, trolling bitch. :jerkit:

I post things that are unpopular with some people - like saying that a certain metal has a certain physical quality. This pisses them off so much that they vehemently argue with me. I argue back, which you would think would be okay, but it just pisses those people off more, so they make it personal. Seeing that trolling like that is okay with the mods, I treat those people with the same lack of respect that they do me.

Your post just makes it clear that what I am doing is wrong because I am:
a) Acting just as poorly as the other people.
b) Posting unpopular points of view.

Thank you for the personal insults.

If could take a stab at answering the OP here, it would be this;

There are some people creating a bunch of work for the mods- by mods, I would be talking about the Supers..They may be getting tired of the work and may be issuing infractions because of that fact.

This is just a guess.

I think you're probably right.

I also think it got to this point because the Supers allowed their own displeasure to be acted out through forum members, like marcinek, who are not moderators, creating an atmosphere that many people have noted as being combative and insulting. And that was going on before I came to anyone's attention. I am just the newest and most obnoxious target of this kind of behavior.

Since I'm aware of several specific instances where no infractions or warnings occurred after posts were reported, and other members have repeatedly indicated that marcinek appears to have no limits on what he can do, it does not appear that he gets infractions for similar posts.

The problem is that this isn't a "best behavior" type forum - the mods purposely let the forum be "lively", as they have said. Despite intelligence and education, I struggle to see the line, so I'm asking. Again.

Unfortunately, every other request for clarification from moderators doesn't provide information, but rhetorical answers like "you just don't get it, do you?" Well, I don't get it. Either the golden rule applies, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, and we ALL have to expect a certain amount of snark, I'd like to also be able to participate in the forum in that way.

I honestly cannot see what I did wrong most recently, in light of what is ignored. I'm not the only one flummoxed by this.

A lot of posts get reported where no warnings or infractions occur. Some days it's like a bunch of elementary school kids just seeing if they can get the teacher to yell at someone. I don't know what specific posts you're referring to (and I'm not inquiring), but the idea that marcinek is favored by the mod staff is silly IMO/E. I'm not trying to push your buttons, just trying to point out the reality. I don't have any feelings toward you and don't even like Marci.

I post things that are unpopular with some people - like saying that a certain metal has a certain physical quality. This pisses them off so much that they vehemently argue with me. I argue back, which you would think would be okay, but it just pisses those people off more, so they make it personal. Seeing that trolling like that is okay with the mods, I treat those people with the same lack of respect that they do me.

Your post just makes it clear that what I am doing is wrong because I am:
a) Acting just as poorly as the other people.
b) Posting unpopular points of view.

Thank you for the personal insults.

Technical details are not unpopular, but sharing them like they are the end-all in any debate is what causes rebuttals. Your inability to consider any other opinion as anything but irrelevant is what causes so much backlash, mainly because opinions are what drive this forum. If it wasn't for opinions it'd just be one big knifemakers' subforum talking about metal qualities and ingredients. It takes personal opinions to drive a discussion and you ignore everything that's not your opinion.

Since you'll just find a way to discount my opinion as irrelevant because it's just an opinion, you'll only prove the point I'm trying to make. It's getting predictable, and while at first it was only annoying it's getting boring now.

If it isn't then I'm a super model. We're all aware this thread is in Tech support, right?

He is certainly aware now.

@ everyone

This isn't W&C. You don't get sling insults without consequence. Mind your manners or piss off.

Is this the place to complain if one gets an infraction?
I'm just sincerely curious. There doesn't seem to be much arbitration on the matter. You post your reply and if the thread mod doesn't like it you get a nice congenial pm from administration and whatever points your post "earned". There isn't any court of appeals that I'm aware of.
I do earnestly believe though that posting countless threads in various subforums about said infractions does NOT make them any better.
I got involved in a discussion with a member who posted racist slurs against Spanish descended peoples. I asked him what it was like to have gerbils in his colon.
Bamm.
I got 5 points for "Insulting a member" in Gennie Dee .
Thus is NOT Whine and Cheese"
I was instructed. There was no discussion. My feelings, my Spanish descended wife, my Spanish family, no matter. Whoopee hoo. Tuff biscuits greykilt.
Lesson?
Fair is defined by the one holding the button. Me verses Mod. I lost. I lost before I even began. It's not one on one.
So,
You deal with it or you go away. I decided to stay.

Last edited:
More insults....that's fine. We really can't run out of yellow/red cards to hand out.

We all pretty well know what is and isn't trolling. The problem becomes the practical application.

What I do is type up a full response to a post and then hit preview. Then I read my post and sometimes I just hit the back button and back myself all the way out of a thread without leaving any reply at all.

Even when I really wanted to say something or score some points. I just say no. Once you've done it a couple times it gets real easy to do.

When I'm doing that I can relax because I know I'm not trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back