• Spring cleaning sale: I've reduced prices on the BladeForums.com Logo Tshirts and PVC patches to move these out of here! We're down to sizes Large & XL on the shirts, but have plenty of every colorway left on the patches. Get them before they are gone! https://www.bladeforums.com/help/bfcmerch/
  • The search engine is not working correctly. We are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. Thank you for your patience.
  • I've implemented new password tools to try and cut down on the number of people getting their profiles compromised by reusing the same passwords that they have used elsewhere. If you are using a password that has been exposed in a data breach and is listed on haveibeenpwned.com you will get a notification to change it the next time you log in. When you choose a new password it will show you the strength; you will need a "Medium" strength or higher password for here, 8 characters or more in length.

Thanks for your support!

PLEASE POST YOUR TRADITIONAL GERMAN FIXED BLADES & POCKET KNIVES,

Will Power

Gold Member
Looks like it must be a B :D although the B on the Sabin looks different...on the other hand, my eyesight is not a lot of cop....๐Ÿ˜•

Useful link, thanks for posting it and I think it has a connexion with content here.

Jack Black

Gold Member
Great to see your Bontgen & Sabin Ed, I also have one, though the condition is not as good as yours. I don't think it was ever called a Butterfly Knife :D I'm out at the moment, but will post some pics :thumbsup:

Jack Black

Gold Member
Here's that Bontgen & Sabin knife. Pics are from quite a few years ago, as I don't carry this one. Sorry the quality isn't better. :thumbsup:

32mFtWk.jpg

pkYvXO2.jpg

rnuUwAg.jpg

HQiKBun.jpg

SVyx0MM.jpg

cGMdTAK.jpg

I'll also throw in a Bontgen & Sabin Fruit Knife :)

YdSG9vK.jpg

Gonzalo, that's a Maker I haven't seen much of before :thumbsup:
Hi Duncan. I don't have much info about this maker either, other than scattered references about its appearance some time during the XIXth century, the manufacturing of straight razors, and their having produced, like so many other cutlers, German military daggers during WW2. Not much, but it's all I have.

Campbellclanman

Platinum Member
Interesting, Love talking about Knives, Jack- If not Butterfly Knife the more known traditional term is Balisong.
Interesting that both you lads have the same Knife! at a guess there wouldn't be too many of these around? :thumbsup: ๐Ÿค”

Jack Black

Gold Member
Interesting, Love talking about Knives, Jack- If not Butterfly Knife the more known traditional term is Balisong.
Interesting that both you lads have the same Knife! at a guess there wouldn't be too many of these around? :thumbsup: ๐Ÿค”
I don't think it's a Balisong either Duncan. Perhaps I'm wrong about the term Butterfly Knife, but I"ve always associated that purely with Filipino knives. There's some interesting discussion at that link, but no definitive answer I don't think. I might have to get my history books out! :D Ed's is the only other I've seen mate ๐Ÿ‘

I had some small folding scissors, with other tools in the hollow handles (like a Leatherman), one pair with MOP covers, the other in tortoiseshell. They folded in the same way. I sent them to waynorth waynorth for Ken Erickson, (who was collecting scissors), many years ago, and don't think I have a pic unfortunately, but I do recollect seeing a photo of similar scissors in one of my books. I'll try and dig it out ๐Ÿ‘

Last edited:

Campbellclanman

Platinum Member
Hey Jack!!
Wow- that is interesting ๐Ÿง ๐Ÿค” - and yeah would love to see those scissors - some of them are real neat! ๐Ÿ‘

ed_is_dead

Basic Member
Looks like it must be a B :D although the B on the Sabin looks different...on the other hand, my eyesight is not a lot of cop....๐Ÿ˜•

Useful link, thanks for posting it and I think it has a connexion with content here.
Right you are Will, the B does look different! Might just be the way it was struck or wear from the pivot? Off topic but I see from this post you are from Finland! I have a couple glorious Puukot (Google tells me that is the plural noun?) from your homeland. Great knives.
Great to see your Bontgen & Sabin Ed, I also have one, though the condition is not as good as yours. I don't think it was ever called a Butterfly Knife :D I'm out at the moment, but will post some pics :thumbsup:
Jack, I'm making an assumption here but yours looks older than mine? Yours has an older looking serif font and mine has no markings on the reverse of the tang. What say you?
Also, my silly ocd wouldn't allow me tolerate the similar wear mine had to yours. Here it is as found marked up ready for the file...

Here's that Bontgen & Sabin knife. Pics are from quite a few years ago, as I don't carry this one. Sorry the quality isn't better. :thumbsup:

32mFtWk.jpg

pkYvXO2.jpg

rnuUwAg.jpg

HQiKBun.jpg

SVyx0MM.jpg

cGMdTAK.jpg

I'll also throw in a Bontgen & Sabin Fruit Knife :)

YdSG9vK.jpg
Like yourself I won't be carrying this too much. Despite the fact its obviously a "gentleman's knife" rather than a quickly deployed weapon I'm sure the fuzz would take a dim view. Shame as I really like it, and its demonically sharp:)
Dig the fruit knife!
As an aside what's your thoughts on the use of English on German knives? Obviously they were for export but somehow I think I'd prefer one in German for the home market, would seem more genuine to me??
There's a few kicking about online but little for sale. I kinda chanced upon it as the guy who had it was apprehensive about advertising it due to rules n regs.

Best post some Germanic sharp stuff and stop waffling:)

Tinchy little whittler with lovely grinds on that main. The tortoise shell was nibbled by something bug like in the past but I do like it. This thread inspired me to carry it to work today, where it was used to open the strapping on boxes of A4, cut open my chibatta and file a rough nail lol.

OK, one last bit of waffle....
Your average period Solingen steel vs the average period Sheffield steel. Which is "better" and why?

Last edited:
Another of the long line of German "Bowies". This one by EDACO, a German firm that started in 1919. I got it from a guy who bought it from an old lady whose husband had fought in WW2 and brought the knife back to the USA. The sheath is in very poor shape.

2tn3ve.jpg

0ubTY5.jpg
TXnwJ5.jpg

Tredwards

Gold Member
Right you are Will, the B does look different! Might just be the way it was struck or wear from the pivot? Off topic but I see from this post you are from Finland! I have a couple glorious Puukot (Google tells me that is the plural noun?) from your homeland. Great knives.

Jack, I'm making an assumption here but yours looks older than mine? Yours has an older looking serif font and mine has no markings on the reverse of the tang. What say you?
Also, my silly ocd wouldn't allow me tolerate the similar wear mine had to yours. Here it is as found marked up ready for the file...

Like yourself I won't be carrying this too much. Despite the fact its obviously a "gentleman's knife" rather than a quickly deployed weapon I'm sure the fuzz would take a dim view. Shame as I really like it, and its demonically sharp:)
Dig the fruit knife!
As an aside what's your thoughts on the use of English on German knives? Obviously they were for export but somehow I think I'd prefer one in German for the home market, would seem more genuine to me??

There's a few kicking about online but little for sale. I kinda chanced upon it as the guy who had it was apprehensive about advertising it due to rules n regs.

Best post some Germanic sharp stuff and stop waffling:)

Tinchy little whittler with lovely grinds on that main. The tortoise shell was nibbled by something bug like in the past but I do like it. This thread inspired me to carry it to work today, where it was used to open the strapping on boxes of A4, cut open my chibatta and file a rough nail lol.

OK, one last bit of waffle....
Your average period Solingen steel vs the average period Sheffield steel. Which is "better" and why?
very nice looking knife. looks like a fantastic size.

cbach8tw

Gold Member
Another of the long line of German "Bowies". This one by EDACO, a German firm that started in 1919. I got it from a guy who bought it from an old lady whose husband had fought in WW2 and brought the knife back to the USA. The sheath is in very poor shape.

2tn3ve.jpg

0ubTY5.jpg
TXnwJ5.jpg

I have a similar knife made by Toro in Solingen, many firms made the same models after the war and imported to the states. Mine is weird in that it has the word for Germany in Spanish, Alemania on the other side, so I wonder if it was made for the Spanish market by a German firm, and just made โ€œToroโ€ on the knife to indicate distribution to Spain or other Spanish speaking countries.