• Spring cleaning sale: I've reduced prices on the BladeForums.com Logo Tshirts and PVC patches to move these out of here! We're down to sizes Large & XL on the shirts, but have plenty of every colorway left on the patches. Get them before they are gone! https://www.bladeforums.com/help/bfcmerch/
  • The search engine is not working correctly. We are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. Thank you for your patience.
  • I've implemented new password tools to try and cut down on the number of people getting their profiles compromised by reusing the same passwords that they have used elsewhere. If you are using a password that has been exposed in a data breach and is listed on haveibeenpwned.com you will get a notification to change it the next time you log in. When you choose a new password it will show you the strength; you will need a "Medium" strength or higher password for here, 8 characters or more in length.

Thanks for your support!

PLEASE POST YOUR TRADITIONAL GERMAN FIXED BLADES & POCKET KNIVES,

ed_is_dead

Basic Member
Information from Carter's "German Knife and Sword Maker 1850 to 1945" indicates the Right-O" mark was registered in 1922. I have no idea on the 123. Richartz was one of the largest manufacturers in Solingen in the early 1920s. Perhaps H herder might have a Richartz catalogue?
Fantastic information Danno! At the very least we have an idea of date now! Weirdly I thought they had by that time moved to Sheffield so I wonder why were they tang stamping Germany...

ed_is_dead ed_is_dead I too admire your Richartz a finely turned out little knife, in contrast to most of the cheap English made Richards junk ;) It seems to have a stamped blade, a quality touch found on French & German knives, much less so or, it appears to have gone into abeyance, on English knives. Opens out straight and fine, no 'cant' on it.

Can't help you with the No.123 referencing, is it a pattern or a sequence- one, two, three?

Here's an amusing cutting from a 1925 Guardian article deploring language degradation and the common use of right-O! in everyday speech. This suggests it was a recent introduction and might have its origins in the recent Great War? Or a popular song? Who knows. But I suspect it's near extinct slang now in Britain.

It will be in my pocket tomorrow and I shall use "Right - O!" liberally in work:)
Thanks for the link, I do remember my parents and older folks using that expression.
As to the number 123 I might have an answer...
Fodderwing awesome example, the finest Richartz I've seen yet, seems to indicate pattern?

danno50

Gold Member
Fantastic information Danno! At the very least we have an idea of date now! Weirdly I thought they had by that time moved to Sheffield so I wonder why were they tang stamping Germany...
Richartz did not move to Sheffield. In the late 1920s, they sent one of the founder's sons, Stephan Richartz, to start a factory in England. They did this to expand the business. Stephan anglicized the name to Richards. Richartz continued to operate in Solingen. They are still operating in Solingen today (as of the printing of Carter's book), producing Swiss army style pocket knives bearing a simplified whale trademark, or the marks of the purchasers. Companies purchasing these knives (I assume for advertising purposes) include BMW, Bosch, Mercedes-Benz and many others.

Last edited:

ed_is_dead

Basic Member
Richartz did not move to Sheffield. In the late 1920s, they sent one of the founder's sons, Stephan Richartz, to start a factory in England. They did this to expand the business. Stephan anglicized the name to Richards. Richartz continued to operate in Solingen. They are still operating in Solingen today (as of the printing of Carter's book), producing Swiss army style pocket knives bearing a simplified whale trademark, or the marks of the purchasers. Companies purchasing these knives (I assume for advertising purposes) include BMW, Bosch, Mercedes-Benz and many others.
Ahhh I get ya. For some reason I had it in my head the whole company moved lock stock to Sheffield.
I will have a proper read on the company history tonight over a beer! Thanks Danno;)

danno50

Gold Member
I feel I owe apologies to Jack Black Jack Black and H herder as they are much more knowledgable on this subject. I had forgotten some of the great Richartz knives posted by Jack in a variety of threads and also the excellent article written by Jack and Herder on Richards/Richartz for the Jan 2019 issue of Knife Magazine.

wouter1967

Gold Member
My new to me unused Puma 666 Gelder made in 1975. It's got a nice beefy handle.

Vin-PUMA_666(4).jpg

Last edited:

ed_is_dead

Basic Member
Further to previous on Richartz I thought I'd place this oldie here.
It needed some work but I'm glad to say I've been using it the last wee while. They got the heat treat and temper right on this one, it's a great user and a nice n slicey;)

Attachments

• IMG_20220224_165442.jpg
    IMG_20220224_165442.jpg
    546.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220224_165411.jpg
    IMG_20220224_165411.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220224_165316.jpg
    IMG_20220224_165316.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 3

Campbellclanman

Platinum Member
Man I love that Stag Dan, that's extremely nice Quality Stag, that Knife has a LOT going on there- Sunken Joints, killer Stage- a compact Knife with 4 Blades yet from what I can see no Blade rub either- they sure knew how to make a knife didnt they!

That Huser is a beauty too- again - Sunken Joints, Real nice Bolster work with gorgeous Pearl! - Whew!