Recommendation? Pocket slip, or let it scuff?

I really have no rhyme or reason to my slip or pocket practices. I use a slip for my beer scout, but mostly just because i got in the habit. For most of my other knives i just pocket them. But some of the more unusual ones get the slip treatment.

Like others said, I use mine only when I need to keep my knife upright (in main pocket). If such pocket as coin pocket of jeans is free, I put it there without pouch. I might also use pouch if for any reason I need to put my knife to same pocket with things like cell phone. I like scratches on my knife but not on my cell screen. :)

I never liked the idea of a pocket slip but once I started using one i haven't looked back yet . It keeps my knife right where I want it upright and out of the way and doesn't take up as much room as you think.

The Peanut goes in my little watch pocket. The Barlow or Stockman goes in my RFP solo. Keys hang on a belt clip on left hip. Change and misc odds n ends go in LFP. Wallet LRP. Right rear pocket is usually empty. Minor scuffs happen from lint and fine abrasives over time, but I don't fret over that stuff. It's a tool. I take good care of it and have a great appreciation for it, but I'm not obsessive.

My knives go into my watch pocket unless I'm carrying my sebenza or that pair of jeans has a shallow watch pocket. Then I'll throw it right alongside my phone so it stays upright. All my knives are users so the only time I use a slip is if I'm wearing shorts. I use a CK slip because it's slim and will stop the knife from laying horizontally or banging against my phone.

I either put them straight in my pocket, sometimes alone, sometimes wih keys or other things; or I use these little pouches I made myself that don't take up any extra space. My pockets are too shallow as is.

Here's my set up. A front pocket wallet and a slip pouch right next to it. Carrying the knife in the pouch, in that strange configuration, keeps the knife upright in my pocket and grips it enough to keep it from sliding out into the unknown. The knife is easily accessible also. This arrangement comfortably fits every pair of pants I own, and keeps my wallet safer then it would be in my back pocket.
IyHR3bP.jpg

4iqv0DV.jpg

Pocket slip for sure.

My main use is to keep things out of the blade well and joint. Usually my knives are in my pocket, or backpack, or desk drawer... after a while they end up collecting lint in the well that works it's way to the joint. I also find I don't have to worry about damaging furniture when I lay the knife on a dresser or other nicely finished surfaces.

Wow Gary. You must really like that Lloyd shadow. You carry it so much somebody might think you've become a one knife man.

:thumbsup:

Wow Gary. You must really like that Lloyd shadow. You carry it so much somebody might think you've become a one knife man.

:thumbsup:
Well just look at the thing. It would be hard to convince myself to put something else in my pocket too.

I have a few knives I carry in a pocket slip if I'm wearing jeans; mainly because I want to keep them looking new for as long as possible.

But, the vast majority of my knives I carry I don't protect although they might be in a pocket by themselves. My front pockets are always full, but my LRP is usually designated for the knife of the day.

In the summer because I'm usually in shorts, I only carry one smaller knife and never in a slip because it adds bulk.

I think once you get around 200 knives, you pretty much stop worrying.

This is a great thread. A subject I am very interested in. Writing this, I threw a new Fremont Jack in my pocket.

I'm really, really, really trying to not be neurotic about my pocket knives. Usually, when I collect, I start to obsess over the objects. Lately, there seems to be several threads and this very subject matter being presented.

I'm bad about my possessions possessing me, but this year, that ends. I'm enjoying what I have, using what I have, and being happy to do as such.

I'd say I'm doing what most of the guys out here are doing. I do use KSF's sheath often, but only to keep my phone safe or the knife situated.

Honestly, this has taken some time. I had to practice with a knife. For me, I went to my summer home, could only bring a knife, and something magical happened. I used it for everything, and in the end, like others' stated - it became my knife. Immediately, when I came home, I switched my 'whatever' knife with another GEC. Used it - just about - up, before I put it away.

Today, I prefer plain old pocket carry, but that doesn't mean I won't use a sheath. I feel the same way others have stated, up to this post.

Lately I favor a slip or pouch to keep lint and other grit out of the joints.

I now clean my pockets for lint. Not sure if it's a plus having lint free pockets for pocket knives or another sign of knife neuroticism.

That's good to know. Now I know I'm not the only one. A lint roller works wonders on a pocket turned inside out.

Can't go wrong with a Main Street pocket slip. Slides in and out of your pocket with ease and holds on to your knife with retention just squeeze the sides and your knife falls right out . You can throw it in a pocket with keys , loose change , cell phone or anything and don't have to worry . Made of real nice leather too.

Last edited:
For me it depends on the knife and/or it's cover material. If the knife is rare or special for some reason it gets a pocket slip. It the cover material is something less durable like ivory or pearl then it also goes into a slip. All others get tossed into a pocket and gather all manner of marks:)

I like my knives to take on a patina so no pocket slip for me just loose in the pocket.
But I don't carry anything but the knife. Keys,change and other stuff go in another pocket.

Rfp gets my non traditional oho knife and my bullnose. Lfp gets my trayvax wallet and my #14 lick creek red bone spear pen, and iwb kydex sheath for my fixed carry just above right hip pocket. Keys hang on a carribiner into rh hip pocket.

Back