1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Have you ever had a ZT knife fail on you?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by 91bravo, Dec 8, 2018 at 6:06 PM.

1. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Simple poll....Yes or No

Kbrasmodeler and MolokaiRider like this.
  2. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    No, but to be honest I haven’t really tried that hard.

Durham68 likes this.
  3. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    No.

4. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    No x 6 samples.

Overall, I’ve had fewer issues with ZT than with Spyderco, Benchmade, or even CRK. (For clarity, none of the issues have been lock failures.)

5. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    Nope. I've only owned three, two got used hard and performed admirably, one got traded withoutuse becausethe ergos didn't work for me. One of those is in current service with a Navy Corpsman (ZT 0500) who beats knives like government mules and has held up totally fine.

I'm not a big fan of ZT or of framelocks, but if it was what I had to use I would do so without trepidation.

19-3ben likes this.
  6. Khanvoy44

Khanvoy44 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Noppers and I am not shy about about putting a blade to heavy use.

7. mpm0097

mpm0097

Oct 21, 2018
    Nope, but I don't normally put much force on the back of the blade. That being said, seeing them fail as easily as some videos show doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

8. DJC72

DJC72 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 1, 2014
    I’ve have owned eight Zt knives. Never had any safety concerns/issues. Now, QC is another story.

9. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    No turtle, no response. ;):D

I've never had one that would fail. I did have a 561 that had some up and down play, but the lock itself never failed. I was at least the second owner and it was pretty heavily customized by the previous, although I don't really think the changes affected the lock up.

I think my brother might have had one model where the lock would fail. I'll double check on that later. Even if i'm remembering correctly, that one instance did not dissuade him and ZT's make up one of, if not the most of anyone one brand of folders in his collection.

19-3ben likes this.
  10. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Not a single one of about 20.

11. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    You gotta clarify for me. Fail as in A. "Closed while using" or fail as in B. "Tried to purposely get it to fail/close by spine whacking" there seems to be a difference floating around.
    If:
    A. Nope
    B. I can get some of them to "fail/close" by spine whacking/tapping

12. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Failing under under normal operating conditions. Cutting, slicing, whittling, chopping etc. None of those whack spine whack tests.

13. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I won't rehash my non -statistical significance of a test. 5 of 8 were easily defeated. I do not think this is real world use worthy, but in pure non fanatical disclosure, they did slip their locks. I still use them. I'll still buy more of them.

I'll read the poll as "fail during use" not "fail during test". If that is the case my 350 has slipped lock during a bump when I was going to use it at my work bench and caught the tip on the edge of the counter as I brought it up. It didnt close on my fingers, and actually the spring tension popped it back to locked. However, that little wiggle I'll call a failure. It's happened just one time in several years of use. Back pressure on the blade of this knife will sometimes cause it slip if I use "wrong".

That said, I've had very few knives fail on me during use to where work was impacted. I think the last one I can remember was some 15 years ago when a Leatherman Juice over traveled on the back spring so that it opened up backwards about 10 degrees.

14. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    No.
    Under normal usage, none of the 5 that I use have ever been a problem. I have several more that haven’t been used and I’ve never had any issues with those either :D
    I wouldn’t mind doing a spine whack test on any of my knives if I used them that way. In the same sense, I’m not driving my truck into a tree to see if the airbags deploy. Just saying

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 7:39 PM
    Kbrasmodeler likes this.
  15. jmh33

jmh33

Mar 16, 2003
    Nope.. But then again I don't own any!!! :p
    John

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  16. 91bravo

Jun 29, 2008
    Yes, failing during normal operating conditions, normal cutting uses, etc. Thank you for sharing your personal experience with a ZT lock failure, which unlike others, who are just espousing what they see from someone else's experience. Like stated before, you have to experience the failure for yourself, in order to state something negative about it.

craytab likes this.
  17. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Yes but it's been a few years

-0200x2 failed under light chopping and hitting against my palm.

-0450 had bad lock slip.

The other 20 or so I handled were just fine

I've only been hurt by one failure. It was a buck .

18. presz

presz

Nov 12, 2005
    I've never had a problem with my 50+, but I don't pound on the back of my blade either......
    Most of the problems, I think come from oil on the locking surfaces. And people with an ax to grind. Any lock can be ruined and made to fail.

Huntnow likes this.
  19. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, anyone need anything Platinum Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Nope never :thumbsup:
    Do believe lock failures are vastly overstated
    YouTube(itas)

20. MeritedEdge

MeritedEdge

Jan 3, 2018
    No. I’ve never had an issue with one of my ZT knives.