• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

POLL: SURVIVE! EDC-4 Preorder Promotion. Would you participate?

Would you participate in a EDC-4 Preorder promotion?

• No thanks, not for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I would buy one!

• Yes, I would buy two!

• Yes, I would buy three!

• I need Christmas gifts. Sign me up for four!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I already have one of the EDC-4 in Elmax and it is great knife. Would absolutely get another in Elmax.

Gen 2, we can only move forward right? Hope you get the same response as the GSO10.

That was my thought about the Gen-2. I'll get it buttoned up, so everyone can see it. If I get a response similar to what happened with the GSO-10, this EDC-4 promo will happen for sure.

Off topic, what is your standard blade finish? I'm gonna jump on a 5.1 and would like tumbled if it's available.

The standard blade finish is in fact a tumbled finished. ;) Just a great finish all around for a user knife.

As soon as this promo comes up im on it. So sad I didnt see these knives when they were for sale last time. I would also like to add this; Guy you are smashing the high end knife world into circles. I bet there are other knife makers out there asking themselves "How is he selling such high end products at these prices."

Really it comes down to getting a lot of people involved, to make this happen. Instead of paying some person in a suit for advertising, I'm choosing to directly give you guys below distributor pricing, to get the good word out for me. It's been my experience that happy customers are BY FAR the most effective advertising. And IMHO, it's the most honest advertising. People helping people.

I definitely would be if you did the run around Christmas... or offered pre-orders around Christmas.

What are the major difference of 3V vrs Elmax for bushcrafting use? I am guessing toughness vrs edge-retention

The real differences are going to be edge holding vs. toughness, yes. Although the Elmax does have some great toughness if you aren't trying to use like a prybar and it's edge holding is just WOW. That being said, I LOVE CPM-3V. Just love it. A CPM-3V knife gives me a feeling of confidence that is hard to explain, unless you too are holding a 3V knife.

I would like one in Elmax if shipping to Canada could be arranged.

Of course, no worries! When it comes time to check out, you will just select the International "flat rate" shipping option and type your address into the text field, as it would appear on a shipping label. Look, if your home country does not have an import restriction and we aren't currently at war with you, I want your business, so I make it as easy as possible for you to shop with me. And for my domestic customers, shipping is and always will be free.

I hate to be a hound but I'm definitely in, want a 5.1 elmax tooooooo definitely the elmax in the edc-4 can't wait for the gso-10 and now hopefully the 4 and 5. Can I put myself in a already ordered for any future products... you need to have a VIP club so we can preorder before you even design the next product, they are that good..... Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, Roland. I'll put some thought into a program. My focus will always be high quality, functional user tools so that could be a good idea. Sometimes I am looking to field a handful of something before a bigger release and I can think of no one better than VIP's, to test those designs out first. I promise to never lower the standard.

Also, just had to edit the post to add this. Here is a great user submission from Jeff Martin, of Martin Survival. That's his EDC-4 in Elmax, next to my OEM style sheath by Kiah. I LOVE user submitted photos.
jeffmartin edc4.jpg

Last edited:
i have to say, for the materials, design, and workmanship of these knives i cant believe how low you price them! thank you very much for doing things this way!

i have to say, for the materials, design, and workmanship of these knives i cant believe how low you price them! thank you very much for doing things this way!

The regular price for these will start at $155 in CPM-3V and $165 in Elmax, which I believe is still more than fair, considering the high quality. I'm really glad the interest is there for these crazy promotions I'm coming up with. It gets my name out there, puts high quality stuff in real people's hands at a great price and gives everyone a chance to try out my steel at a reduced price, before I "go loud" so to speak.

After this promotion, I'll have to get serious and focus on growth and expansion. But hell, it's almost Christmas and I want to share the spirit of giving with everyone. I'm super excited to make this happen.

Last edited:
Again Guy, you had me at "monster chopper." I'm definitely in for multiples of this, too!

Haha! Thanks man. Fair enough, it looks like I had better begin looking at steel availability. Keep voting though, please. It will help me with initial ballpark materials quantities.

I was one of the people who enquired, and I would definitely get one. At these prices, I would probably have to get two - one in each steel.

BTW, what it the weight of the EDC 4?

Guy, a question for you on the kydex sheaths. Are they made with some sort of spacer around the blade,
so the knife doesn't get scuffed? This is a GREAT promotion, and it's really a treat to be able to interact
with the designer/owner like this. I think you will get PLENTY of interest this way!

I was one of the people who enquired, and I would definitely get one. At these prices, I would probably have to get two - one in each steel.

BTW, what it the weight of the EDC 4?

Haha! I finally have a scale on order, so I'll be able to tell you very soon. Sorry about the delay in that but all the scales I've gotten so far have been wildly inaccurate. That's what I get for buying food scales I suppose.

Guy, a question for you on the kydex sheaths. Are they made with some sort of spacer around the blade,
so the knife doesn't get scuffed? This is a GREAT promotion, and it's really a treat to be able to interact
with the designer/owner like this. I think you will get PLENTY of interest this way!

The sheaths are made by Kiah. www.kiahdex.com He is a service provider here on bladeforums. His kydex quality is simply outstanding. There is good, positive retention, with no wiggle or slop but also no drag when unsheathing the knife. These are more of a user retention though and the kydex will polish the guard area of the handle a bit with use. You wouldn't notice, except that my handles are rough media blasted for improved grip. They will not scratch the blade unless you shove a dirty knife into the sheath. But that will happen with any kydex sheath, from any maker.

Have you considered going a point or two higher on the HRC scale for the Elmax? 59-60 is the sweet spot for 3V, but from my research Elmax can be pushed a little higher for even better edge retention and still have plenty of toughness, like 60-61 or 60-62? Either way I'm going to have to try one out, probably will go with Elmax since I don't have a fixed blade in it yet, and have a couple 3V already. Really like the design of all your knives too so far.

Have you considered going a point or two higher on the HRC scale for the Elmax? 59-60 is the sweet spot for 3V, but from my research Elmax can be pushed a little higher for even better edge retention and still have plenty of toughness, like 60-61 or 60-62? Either way I'm going to have to try one out, probably will go with Elmax since I don't have a fixed blade in it yet, and have a couple 3V already. Really like the design of all your knives too so far.

It crossed my mind initially too but after talking to Brad at Peter's heat treat and now seeing what he can do at 59-60Rc, I have no interest in running it any higher. The edge holding with his heat treat is simply outstanding at that hardness. I understand now that it is the quality of the heat treat protocols and not so much the rockwell number that dictates the performance. If you are picking one up, tell me what you think after using it awhile.

Thanks for the reply, it seems ZT runs their Elmax around this hardness as well and it seems to be working well for them, I'll have to see how it performs along side the ZT Elmax as well as a couple other fixed blades in that size range (A2, 52100, N690co, 10V, etc) looking forward to this one and your future designs.

Boy, ask and you shall receive. I think one in each steel would do me and my Dad. Thanks much for listening to the masses.

probably the way they cryo soak it adds to the quality of the heat treating too for the elmax.

I know some people were wondering how the EDC-4 does at carving. Here's a video from Jeff Martin, of Martin Survival. An added bonus, you learn how to make a simple dead fall trap.

[video=youtube_share;0u_7Gf6hME8]http://youtu.be/0u_7Gf6hME8[/video]

I would absolutely buy one in Elmax with a Kiahdex sheath, just let me know where to send the Paypal!

Well, now you are just showing off!

Just kidding. I can't wait to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back