Post up your Snake Pics!

bernbog.jpg

Here is the last bog I found last year. They are threatened here and I'm waiting to hear back if I can get on the sub-permitee list to help out with the project. There is a bog 7 minutes away from my house but I want to make sure I don't tick off the game warden since the whole bog is protected. It is a FANTASTIC little micro-habitat.

Aren't they either threatened or endangered throughout their range? They are critically endangered here. We actually had one of the heads of the heritage program leading the survey when we got them last year.

threatened everywhere. Something like 80% of the population disappeared over the last 30 years.

They found 60 in one spot on the last bog turtle trip around this area, but I wasn't on it.

60! That's awesome!!! we averaged about 20/day when we were catching them at a bog that borders a cattle farm in June of '09. But that was between a dozen people or more. I've been to other bog turtle sites and was lucky to find 3 or 4 with a long day's search.

Those are little Pygmy Rattlesnakes. They are actually full grown at that size. There is even one locality that's all red.

joe, awesome pics! now i've got a serious hankering for snakes again. perfect timing as there's a reptile show this saturday in pennsylvania. time to hike the delaware water gap and stop in at the show :D

Stepped on this little dude today. It didn't hurt him. First snake I've seen up close this year. If it's the last, that's fine, too:thumbup:
dscn0275b.jpg

Back