Premature Esnarkulation 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
was at the hardly ware store, and noticed all the Fiskars axe products have gone Goth

some kind of super slick black coating on the metal

and the handles are textured such, that at first i thought they were carbon fiber! but it's just a really splendid checkering pattern in the otherwise very dense glass-fiber plastic.

wacky.

was SERIOUS tempted to buy one, then noticed the hatchet is $35

that was like $22 last year

they're also made in Finland now. again. not china. go figure.

Just ordered a Fiskars axe. Still had the orange handle section and it was only $23 I think. Maybe $28.

Just ordered a Fiskars axe. Still had the orange handle section and it was only $23 I think. Maybe $28.
I just picked up a second off the exchange as an "add-on" to a couple of Mora Companions...for 15 bucks, $40 for the whole deal. AND the gentleman sent me a well loved Mora classic as a bonus. I'm giving that as a Christmas present to a 10 year old friend of mine who's mother is (very proudly) Swedish. They're both gonna flip. Thank you BF and the wonderful people here. That member will certainly get my business again. Shame is, he had two of the Fiskars, I just didn't think I needed to own three of them.

Wally World has the new hatchets for $25; they also have a pretty good backstock of orange shafted ones in-store, which I think were made in Finland as well. Web shows the 24" orange one for under 40. Hope that's not deal spotting...I'll edit if it is.

Had a blast out in the woods, spent about 2 hours shootin the Bow and throwing the hawk, and did some clearing and chopping.

First the archery, At 20 yards 8 arrows per "round" of shooting all 8 were in the target but grouping could be better, missed the target twice out of 8 at 40 yards other 6 were all over the place, and only hit the target 3 times out of 8 at 60 yards. Need more practice at these distances for sure. still i love shooting this bow!! But it was pretty cold out there so then me and the wife threw the KDSH for a while and that was a blast, the thing flies wonderfully. And for throwing or breaking stuff apart its phenomenal, but chopping.... Well, ill get to that.

I brought the BK9, the RTAK2, and the hawk (KDSH). I left the chopweiler at home because it will have its turn next week taking down our XMAS tree.

When we found a place in the forest to "play" we needed to clear some brush for a clean line of site to where i was putting the archery target. The hawk obviously would not be ideal for this so the wife was throwing it as i did some clearing. Both the RTAK2 and the BK9 could handle the brush with no issues, but due to the size and weight of the RTAK2 it was more of a pain to use in this task and required more effort than needed for clearing light brush. The BK9 was the better knife for this, light and easy to swing thru brush and still strong enough to take down some of the bigger limbs in the way.

When it came time to do the chopping, The RTAK2 bested the swamp rat hawk and the bk9 in chopping. And i found the RTAK2 handle to be more comfortable in use than i though it would be. The BK9 did a very fine job itself but it could not hang with the RTAK2, the extra weight had it taking cleaner, and deeper bites. Now I have never been able to do as good with a hatchet or hawk as a big knife when it comes to chopping, but the KDSH came in last place chopping...... by a small margin, but still last place.

So to summarize, The BK9 made a better brush clearer and was easier to maneuver around, The RTAK2 made the better chopper, And the KDSH made the best toy to throw and break stumps apart with.

All of them are great, and have their strong points. All 3 of these have earned a forever home with me.

Anyone else ever notice the major gaping plot holes in Back to the Future II that render the whole movie pointless and impossible?

Anyone else ever notice the major gaping plot holes in Back to the Future II that render the whole movie pointless and impossible?
Like in the first one? That's the problem with any time travel movie. Besides, looking for continuity in a movie of that sort is what's pointless...I only saw the first and it was fun, but not so much that I felt compelled to see the other two. Buckaroo Bonzai, on the other hand, was genius. Didn't need a sequel.

Got the tree up and decorated, got the eave lights up on the house, garage, old work shop and equipment shed, the lights strung out on the east fence and along the driveway on the yuccas. Just have the deer herd and the manger scene to place and a dozen trees to wrap. Then I'm done. Unless my sisters, nieces and mother come up with something else to add. I put the nix last year on Noah's Ark and assorted animals. Since I have not made them yet (and no intention to either), they won't be put out this year, as well. I stopped the deer herd at 22 and thankfully, 7 of them are either partially or completely dead, I only have 15 to put out.

Painful game was painful.

Gave this three-pack a shot for $20. These are perfectly serviceable beaters with good ergos and lockup. Pivots are a bit tight, but that can be remedied.

It does seem odd that a story about about the birth of a child, born in the Levant, whose impoverished parents gave birth to in housing for animals and whose birth was attended by animals, a child who grew up to preach of peace and forgiveness, of love and spirituality, who lived simply in the service of humanity, should, in celebration of his birth, engender such a frenzy of consumption and extravagance. And conifers? The original christmas tree would have been a date palm. I'm not saying I don't participate, I'm just saying I try not to lose sight of the actual spirit of the season. It is interesting that Christmas is celebrated so widely, except for in the land of his birth. It's always made me wonder. Especially when I'm trying to get the damn string of bulbs to light up!

Painful game was painful.

Gave this three-pack a shot for $20. These are perfectly serviceable beaters with good ergos and lockup. Pivots are a bit tight, but that can be remedied.

Should have picked up a Fiskar's axe or two while you were there. That place has some mean deals on Kershaws every year around now. Last year the deal was an A/O Brawler, a nice tactical pen and the same led flashlight. Kept the pen and the light, gave the Brawler to a friend for his birthday. Good stuff.

How dare you...

This brings up a good topic. Movie Trilogies.
Top three for me:
1. Lord of the Rings
2. Back to the Future
3. Indiana Jones

Had a few spare color changing LED strips laying around, then decided what better place to put them then on the inside of my toolbox...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back