Production Emerson Knives Are Not Show Pieces

Secondly some places are more blade cultures so to speak. Guns are relatively commonplace, but the display of a blade sends a much more aggressive and intimidating message. Blades don't fire warning shots.

So true.

That last sentence is classic... You need to copyright it :thumbup:

Fred

I don't own any Emerson's yet. My reasons for that have a fair bit to do with some of the points brought up in this thread. I love experimenting with crazy steels, trying out different features and designers, and having knives that are made to extremely tight tolerances. So Emerson is a brand I just haven't gotten around to... yet.

For all of what I just said, there is definitely a part of me that appreciates what Emerson offers. A pure, straight up, heavy duty folding knife with tried and true materials and methods. Are there other companies that do that as well? Of course there are. There are also companies that do it with better fit and finish and newer materials. Some even do it cheaper. But Emerson has one of the best warranties in the business, a rugged reputation, good cutting performance, and a way of doing things that speaks to people. For many, that combined with tried and true materials and the original wave is something they're willing to pay for.

While I won't say Emerson knives are a bargain, you do get a very solid dependable knife from a likable American company. And honestly if I had to pick a knife to bring into a bad part of the world, or use to do some serious hard work, you can bet Emerson would be in the running. Now if you'll excuse me, I think a Commander may be in my future now...

I have followed this thread with interest and whereas I can understand the naysayers, I certainly don't agree with them as to the value and worth of an Emerson knife. This is why:

Design - You are getting custom designs for production prices. Emerson knives have simply the most comfortable handles of any knife that I own. The only ones that are comparable are the Buck 110 and the Military. No 'hot spots', less fatigue and a grip that doesn't slip when wet. Also, the handles are extremely strong.

Steel - I have a great variety of blade steels in my collection and many of the 'super steels' look great on paper, but not so great for practical field use. You can find harder steel than 154CM and you can find tougher steel than 154CM, but when you toss in the requirements of toughness, corrosion resistance, a fine edge and the ability to field sharpen without diamonds, 154CM comes to the fore. Emerson's heat treatment of their 154CM seems to drag every good property from the steel, for a blade designed for practical field use. It doesn't cost the most per sheet, but the value comes in the way it is treated by Emerson.

Fit & Finish - People seem fixated on the fit & finish on Emerson knives and my experience on every Emerson knife that I own has been a positive one. I defy anyone to be at issue with the blade grinds, which are the best that I have seen. I also have never heard a complaint about sharpness out of the box. Where the issue seems to come, is the fact that the G10 slabs stand slightly proud on every Emerson production knife. Now, I highlighted 'every' for a reason. It is a simple matter to CNC the G10 to match the liner specs. Look closely and you will see that the edge of the G10 slabs slope down towards the spine of the knife. Why? Leaving the edge slightly proud of the liners provides a better grip that resists side slippage. Such is not a lack of detail, but rather it is a design feature that works. Seriously, would a company that is capable of producing such superb blade finish, skimp on a handle detail just for the hell of it? I don't think so.

The Intangible - I have dealt with EKI on numerous occasions to order products. On each occasion I have been greeted by a pleasant response and rapid and detailed service. Plain and simple, EKI is a great company to deal with. I have never had to use their warranty service, but I have no doubt that it too would be a positive experience. Where Mr. Emerson is concerned, an up-front philosophy and a can-do attitude will work for me every time.

So, if in my case, Emerson has made a 'fanboy', then they deserve it. :)

Great post, Al.
Emerson, Reeve, Spyderco and Benchmade... these companies sell lots of knives for reasons Al mentioned.
rolf

I too appreciate what the companies mentioned are striving for. I own more EKI's than spydies, benchmades, kerhaws/ZT's, CRK's (OK, can't afford what I want in this case), and find the Emerson's appealing, even strangely so.

I would be surprised if anyone offered more than 5 bucks for mine... It's beat to hell and missing the wave, LOL

Thanks Rolf, thanks Kampfjaeger. :)

@ Ichop - I would love to hang a picture of your Emerson on my wall. ;)

Production Emerson Knives Are Not Show Pieces

I don't know about that, mine has a few stories to show:

I really need to get a Emerson so I can see what all the hoop la is about. Maybe a CQC 6 .........haahaaa I wish! If I could I would!

I have knives that range from inexpensive chinese models to custom blades, my primary production models are from Spyderco and Kershaw. In the last few months I picked up my first Emerson a CQC-7 with no wave. I then picked up a Mini Roadhouse from a forum member and that model got me hooked, I like the designs and the feel of the knives in hand. I have never felt that the knives are over priced, but to each his own. I have another one on the way that will have standoffs giving it a full flow through design and I am eagerly waiting for that package to show up. If you are curious I would recommend taking the plunge on one of the less expensive models and judge for yourself, if it does not meet your expectations you should have no problem selling it.

A showpiece this is not. SOCFK.
null_zpsc736a8c9.jpg

null_zps4ac4633e.jpg

I think utilized blades are beautiful in the same way beaten trucks and sportscars are.

the wave feature looks like it would be awkward when the knife is open (like putting your finger on the spine of the knife) w/e though,I don't have any Emersons yet but the Gentleman Jim knife looks cool.

the wave feature looks like it would be awkward when the knife is open (like putting your finger on the spine of the knife) w/e though,I don't have any Emersons yet but the Gentleman Jim knife looks cool.

I actually like the wave ramp on the top of the blade when open. It acts as a stop for your thumb and really makes the knife feel secure in your hand. And truthfully I very seldom, if ever, use the wave to deploy the blade. It's nice to know the feature is there though. Took me a couple tries to figure out how to pull the knife from my pocket and not wave it. YMMV.
:)

Joe

Back