Progress report on BF 2012 knife!

Actually, it is nice to see the pride that GEC is putting on this knife. I think all this subforum should be very proud as well, especially those who put more effort in this project.
As for future projects...you can wrestle for the 2014 knife. The 2013 GEC Congress Jack will be in production in a few months :rolleyes:

Fausto
:cool:

Ooh a full congress with all different blades for 2013 would be great!

There's one thing I'm pretty curious about, and I'd like you to share your thoughts here.
Now the pictures of the BF knife are out...does it look like you had imagined it, or is there any (subtle) difference from the way you had pictured it in your mind? not talking about being happy with it or not...just any difference.
Obviously, we all had our idea of how it would come out.
For example, for some reason it seems the 2012 BF knife looks a bit wider than I had imagined.
Just a silly topic while we wait for "real" pictures :)

Fausto

I haven't had the chance to thank all those that put their time and personal ideas and experiences in this knife. Thank you all!

The bone and jigging looks much better than I originally thought. The color with that jigging was much more appealing to me once I saw that bone and blade swedges, I had to place the order. Now when will they start shipping?

There's one thing I'm pretty curious about, and I'd like you to share your thoughts here.
Now the pictures of the BF knife are out...does it look like you had imagined it, or is there any (subtle) difference from the way you had pictured it in your mind? not talking about being happy with it or not...just any difference.
For example, for some reason it seems the 2012 BF knife looks a bit wider than I had imagined.

Fausto

It looks a little wider to me too, Fausto. It night be because one of the Wharcliffe Trappers we looked at during the planning stages was much slimmer at the pivot end.

Fausto

For me also the blades look wider and more robust than I thought they would. The knife we are getting is a vast improvement over the one I had imagined.

I do think they are kind of proud of this one. They have probably gotten a lot more hits on their web site since the pictures started.

I wonder if the design is owned by GEC now or the property of Blade Forums?

GEC. And thank goodness for that! Hopefully, they will one day render this in 440C. I will buy 3 and consider that I have found my vorpal blade.

Fausto

The bone color is certainly darker than I had imagined; also, I didn't expect the scale jigging to have such a "machined" look to it (expecting some "randomness" to the texture). I was pleasantly surprised how gorgeous the blades look, especially the draw swedge on the wharnie...very nice.

Does anyone know the actual length (as made) versus what was initially put in the design specs?

My personal opinion is that we will see another one of these knives made by GEC in the future.

I just ordered another one. I hope that we see one with only the Wharnie blade. A totally traditional take on the needs of the modern day. Nothing opens a plastic clam shell like a wharncliff blade.

Congress Jack. Definitely Congress Jack.... :D

For me also the blades look wider and more robust than I thought they would. The knife we are getting is a vast improvement over the one I had imagined.

I was thinking the same thing. The blades look much fuller than what I had envisioned. The bolster looks really good too.

2013 will be a whaler! go big or go home yes its time for me to start my incessant whaler talk, gently trying to convince (ie brainwash) everybody into thinking whaler:D
Whaler is exactly like a peanut only a lil bit bigger, just a smidge barely noticeable...
WHALER, WHALER, WHALER
regards
Gene
good vibes and imaginary beers for anybody on team whaler

but the official 2012 knife is looking fab, i will say as has been pointed out it seems to be more robust than i had imagined, not in a negative way though...
if only i were a trapper guy or a wharnie fan:)
Still get a kick outta seeing our work on GEC's website...
Gene

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got that impression when I first saw the pictures of the 2012 BF knife.
As for the bone color, I'm not sure: different pictures taken in different conditions can play tricks.
But, as for width and apparent sturdiness, that's definitely something that caught my eye.

Fausto

Fausto,

I'm impressed by everything about it. It turned out better than I expected. But yes, I pictured a different knife. I was expecting the jigging to be a lot more random.

Kevin

Back