Prune Big, or Go Home!

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
No nonsense here - this New York knife is not for plums and roses (isn't that a rock Band??) !! It's for big stuff!

Or maybe it's for the big man who needs a Big Knife!:rolleyes:

PruneBig1_zps951c6dae.jpg

Anyhoo, the butt of this thing completely covers a Canadian Twoonie (the Canadian two dollar coin) at 1 1/8" at the narrowest!! That is thicker than almost all pocketknives widths!
Here it is next to an Ulster from the comparison pic.

PruneBig3_zpsb7950713.jpg

It looks ordinary by itself, but it is a hair over 5" long!

PruneBig2_zps215341b4.jpg

I*XL, Camillus, Ulster and NYK.

The NYK has undoubtedly seen more use than the other three in the pics, but has a lot of life and snap left!
There is enough Ebony (or Rosewood?) in the handles to supply a small run of Barlows!

PruneBig4_zps67e371c2.jpg

The tang stamp seems to be fairly early - anyone know about these??
PruneBig5_zpsb6f39f99.jpg

I am awestruck every time I look at this knife, let alone when I pick it up.
If you have a big Pruner, please post a picture, and tell us about it!!

A sling might help, Stephen. It definitely tries to pull your pants askew!
Glad you like it, Mark! It definitely fills the definition of a "Texas Pruner!!
:D

I like that Charlie. That butt is something else. Never thought I'd see a skull crusher pommel on a slipjoint. :D

How big is big? I have my eye in the Queen/Joe Pardue collaboration hawkbill. 4 1/8" closed with stag covers and a D2 blade. What's not to love? I don't garden though, so I wonder what I'd use it for?

Perhaps I should just get it, sometimes you want a knife just because.

- Christian

Mum: Well somebody's got to go out and prune the Sugar Cane and those Tasmanian eucalyptus hardwoods don't just fell themselves y'know.
The Crocodiles need their tails trimming as well and then there's the telegraph poles to clean up.
It's just work work work...
NOT ANY MORE!!
With the Walden Whale -the Perfect Piece for Proper Pruning.
Comes with one size fits all peg leg in case of accidental limb pruning.

"I love my new Walden Whale" Cpt. Ahab

Mum: Well somebody's got to go out and prune the Sugar Cane and those Tasmanian eucalyptus hardwoods don't just fell themselves y'know.
The Crocodiles need their tails trimming as well and then there's the telegraph poles to clean up.
It's just work work work...
NOT ANY MORE!!
With the Walden Whale -the Perfect Piece for Proper Pruning.
Comes with one size fits all peg leg in case of accidental limb pruning.

"I love my new Walden Whale" Cpt. Ahab

"Peg Leg" :D

Nice set of heavy duty knives Charlie, happen to have a pic with one of your barlows for size reference?

Hi Charlie
There is something about a pruner, a dedicated tool with an interesting profile, that NYK Co Is a beauty. Here are some pics of what Bernard called a California Grape vine pruner. I tried my hardest to buy it but the chap who has it thought it was a bowie by the same company :( The thing is HUGE. I really really wanted it. :eek:

Best regards

Robin

I can see why you wanted that beauty Robin. I have never seen a handle shaped like that before and the stag is awesome. And you're right....that knife is huge!

I can see why you wanted that beauty Robin. I have never seen a handle shaped like that before and the stag is awesome. And you're right....that knife is huge!

It IS a great pruner Mark, I still WANT IT :D Bernard said the butt plate was used as a stake hammer and was obviously used as such.

Best regards

Robin

I like this knife a lot. When I retired, I got a part time job with a supermarket in the produce area. Some of the uses I found for a "pruner" type blade is to dress the bottom of cabbages, cut the long bottoms off of ears of corn, opening boxes of bagged potatoes and apples. This size and shaped of the blade is really perfect, IMO.

That IS a beast! Great swedge, hammer butt cap, love everything about it.

Charlie, camp work day is coming up in a few weeks. I think I might know where that big ole pruner can be put to work!

Now THATS a Noif. :D Wow, thats amazing, and look at that stag. Nice piece my friend, I understand why you want it. Are there toothpick and tweezers in that monster?? Or are my old eyes seeing things.

Best regards

Robin

Back