Prune Big, or Go Home!

I missed you posting this one Augie my friend- Nice!!!, you are right not many, I think I remember our good Friend Dave @knowtracks putting up one a while ago?

I found this beauty that I also posted a few pics in another Thread, but this clearly belongs in here.

Abram Brooksbank, Integral Bolstered Thumping big Pruner, the Walk and Talk folks takes you by surprise - it's like new Marvelously heavily Stamped Blade as they did this very old Knife I like very much! I love the sharp top angle of the Rats Tailed Bolsters, the top platforms have when looking closely, a very nice sharp angle - and a very wide Rats Tail groove!

wL8o4Pk.jpg

nBp6u6b.jpg

3y0GK9m.jpg

ezSD2Lu.jpg

jjkeW6f.jpg

IdrUVM9.jpg

buac8fe.jpg

wQPd0Hs.jpg

6HvBTyU.jpg

That is a real beauty

@Blake the Blade
Nice old Pruner, Blake!!

So, I'm interested in opinions!! Is this a curved Ettrick? Is there such a thing?? Most think an Ettrick must be straight-edged!!
Maybe we can call this a long-handled Peach Pruner? Either way, it's a nice knife from Trevor Ablett, LittleMester, RIP!!:rolleyes:View attachment 1505406 View attachment 1505407 View attachment 1505408 View attachment 1505409

Charlie, with the Longer Handle and Curvature I would have called that an Ettrick - I do admit that I have many times- when finding Peach Pruners - thinking they are Ettrick's - so after me doing this I really got stuck into looking at the images of both, and amazingly it finally sunk in :confused: :confused::eek: :D
There are few " in-betweens" that have tripped me up - and Boy have you got one there! so getting back to your Question Sir, the Curve of the Blade at the end and semi Hawksbill tip bang that knife more solidly into the Peach Pruner family ( imo ).

This arrived a week or so ago and I'm certainly very pleased with it: 4"/ 10cm closed, Bog Oak scales and stainless bolster (they're usually brass but I asked for stainless) carbon blade. F&F very good indeed, must be very difficult for small makers to keep going during this Covid crap, credit to all of them.

TFUGLpO.jpg

@Blake the Blade
Nice old Pruner, Blake!!

So, I'm interested in opinions!! Is this a curved Ettrick? Is there such a thing?? Most think an Ettrick must be straight-edged!!
Maybe we can call this a long-handled Peach Pruner? Either way, it's a nice knife from Trevor Ablett, LittleMester, RIP!!:rolleyes:View attachment 1505406 View attachment 1505407 View attachment 1505408 View attachment 1505409

Knife patterns can be notorious bickering points ;) I'd say it's an Ettrick Pruner :D It qualifies as Ettrick due to the handle / blade ratio which calls for long handle short blade- Wharncliffe. Trevor Ablett bought in his blades so he may have got a batch of Peach Pruner blades and decided to house them in the Ettrick frame, and why not? Experimentation makes for innovation the bete-noir of fogeys :D

I think it works beautifully well and yes I'm totally biased as I'm lucky enough to own one , some good thick Sambar here :cool: shown with 'straight' Ettrick....but is it BIG? Big idea so that passes.

WVCfX6k.jpg

@Blake the Blade
Nice old Pruner, Blake!!

Peach Pruner Charlie :thumbsup:

I was talking to a young feller on my street today, who's a keen gardener, and I asked what type of knife he used in his garden. I was surprised when he said he didn't have a knife! :confused: I walked home, and found a nice Pruner, and went back down the road. He said thanks, but like I had just passed him the salt or something! o_O

I gave away an Ettrick today too. Got talking to another young gardener about budding and grafting knives. I showed him a few old ones, and there was an Ettrick in the same box, which he admired. I let him use it to graft some quince and pear trees, and let him keep it after :)

Augie- That's a gorgeous example- The Bone on that Knife is very nice! and with that nice full blade!

I agree with Charlie- You are a very generous guy Jack- well done, most of my gifting of knives have been extremely well received but I too have had a reception like that to! Nicely done Jack!

I do love hawkbills, and happily sailing through BF's threads came across this one. Here goes a USA Boker.

p19CPR.jpg
Looks hardly worn, and just nicely patina-ed!! Nice!!
What's the handle material??

Back