1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Pure Aesthetics!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by black mamba, Jul 12, 2018.

1. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Based entirely on visual appeal, whether for color, jigging, character, proportion, whatever, and having nothing at all to do with usefulness or cutting ability, please post pictures of your three most beautiful knives. And if you can, please tell us why it is so appealing.

My number one always has been and always will be this red stag Northfield #72 Mini-Hunter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The color, character and texture of the stag covers is matched by the perfect proportions of the long pull, cut-swedged clip blade. And for the final topping, the triple threaded bolster sets everything off to a T. The very first time I saw this knife I was smitten by the beauty of the pattern, and the red stag is the ultimate of the pattern in my eyes.

Number two for me is this S&M File & Wire Daddy Barlow. I like "bling" on a knife, and this one has it in spades: from the beautifully deep-jigged wormgroove bone to the stamped and Washington bolsters and the etched blades, there is so much of interest here. The wonderfully pointy big spear blade is just spectacular!
    [​IMG]

For number three I chose this Tree Brand Classic Stockman from the mid 1970s. Even without fancy bolsters, this is still a busy knife with its double shields. The bone color and jigging is hands down the BEST I've ever seen, and the reverse frost etch and trapezoidal long pull balance the beauty of the bone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Come on now, jump right in with both pictures and commentary. Old, new, foreign or domestics, let's see those "wow" knives!

2. mrknife

mrknife

May 9, 2010
    Im quite fond of the 15 pattern and usually it is the clip point that i love most. However, in terms of aesthetics, the clip blade does affect the lines of the knife once closed in hand, or pocket. Luckily, this years run was 15 both spears and clips! :D:D:D First to arrive was one of these, joined by that barlow later on from @LastRodeo.

[​IMG]

The spear in its factory configuration does protrude a little bit more than Id like so i had modified mine by dropping the kick a smidge. It falls a little deeper into the blade well and gives a smoother look.

[​IMG]

This was an obsession this morning as I am home, sick and was going over my 15s in the user box after noticing a difference in the belly of a modified 15 compared to the new. Not sure if the run on the micartas has a slightly more pronounced belly compared to the older ones due to a redesigned blade.

But back to the spears,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here the new Ancient joins the bunch. The lines are smooth! the previous generation although also has nice aesthetics, is a different blade shape.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    [​IMG]
    This is one of the grails for me. It did not turn to be as good as I thought, but the color, texture of the handle and the overall design appeal to me.

BearBug, VashHash, rockman0 and 21 others like this.
  4. singin50

singin50 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Great idea, Jeff! You're right, something about those File&Wire knives!:cool::cool:
    I have three that really do it for me.
    First up is this 2013 Saw Cut Soup Bone TC Barlow.
    It has these valleys that just get me on all gears! Also that wicked Spey blade just disappears in the frame.
    [​IMG]
    Second is this Northwoods Forest Jack that Barry hooked me up with a few years ago. Again, I like how the Spear blade looks and how it hides
    inside the frame, and of course the Stag and snap are incredible!
    [​IMG]imagehost
    Third is this brand new Maher&Grosh Yankee Whittler in pick bone. Just some of GECs finest work ever!
    You wanna talk about a little machine that cuts? Well this one's it!
    Nice hefty feel and great action but really sharp from the factory too.
    [​IMG]

5. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Perry, even the smooth parts on your soup bone have character, gorgeous knife!

6. singin50

Jan 31, 2012
    Thank ya Jeff! I guess it's quite a rare and unique piece of TC history.

BearBug and neal70 like this.
  7. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    This is going to take a while. Best photo? Best looking knife? To be continued.....

Wurrwulf and neal70 like this.
  8. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Alan, I think that Amherst Crown Jack you just picked up has to be a contender.

neal70 likes this.
  9. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    You know most of the time I just read and post pictures with very little comment. Why? Someone once said - “It’s better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” And offering my opinion on most subjects in this forum feels to me like giving a speech on floods with Noah sitting in the crowd.

However. Aesthetics. Pure aesthetics. No technical reviews, functionality testing, historical importance, steel sniffing, edge retention…

Just the WOW factor! I may actually be qualified to post here! Cause I know what I like!

Jeff the jigging on that Boker is incredible. What a masterpiece!

Perry the soupbone, well it’s pure character in texture. Some day maybe….. And the Forest Jack Stag! Nothin but canyon land…

The joy these bring me in sheer unadulterated pleasure never abates. I love the ruggedness of this stag. Wolstenholm fullsizeoutput_504.jpeg Fell in love with this old case on sight. SOUPBONE...
    DSC_0344.JPG I will end it there. As for many of you, this is gonna be next to impossible to decide. Good Luck!!!:D:D:D

BearBug, dave308ek, rockman0 and 21 others like this.
  10. singin50

Jan 31, 2012
    :cool::cool::cool::cool:Yep, no doubt about it, Dwight! Both of yours speak to a lot of history and great craftsmanship!

BearBug and Fodderwing like this.
  11. black mamba

Oct 21, 2009
    Great post Dwight, the stag on your Wolstenholm is AWESOME. You just don't see them like that any longer.

BearBug and Fodderwing like this.
  12. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    I just went back and reread your OP and since it's a beauty contest that Amherst just might make the cut. Working through some photos now.

Wurrwulf and Fodderwing like this.
  13. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I could never narrow it down to even 50, much less 2 or 3. I am liking this tomahawk from Mainline Forge this afternoon. tommy1.jpg

14. singin50

Jan 31, 2012
    Dang, that is beauty, tongueriver!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Love the handle, is that a type of maple? They did a great job on machining that tomahawk head too! I'd be awfully proud to own that!

15. joeradza

Feb 6, 2014
    OK Jeff here goes. Since I was never the best at obeying rules here are four. Of course as always these are subject to change.
    First up is a GEC that I feel is their best looking and all around best knife and they made it for us. The 2014 BladeForums knife.
    Next up is my first John Lloyd custom. He calls it his 'Jess Horn' and it's probably my favorite.
    I recently picked this up. It's an Amherst Cutlery Crown Jack. It's just plain pretty.
    And the one that breaks the rules is a stainless stag Bowie by Puma.
    If you noticed a stag trend, well that's no surprise.
    IMG_4435.JPG IMG_3509.JPG IMG_3926.JPG IMG_2317.JPG
    I had a request to add the clamshell teardtop.
    IMG_4111-01~3.jpeg

16. singin50

Jan 31, 2012
    Ok, I’m in love with that stag Amherst too!!!!:cool::cool::cool: My goodness!

17. Chief

Chief Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000 Platinum Member

Nov 15, 1998
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I'm impressed that you could present a layout that fast Alan. You could just throw a dart and choose the one it landed on until your arm got tired. However I do believe the Amherst would reign supreme if one MUST be chosen!---
    Well this is just gonna be the thread of all threads for hyperbole!!! While commenting on yours John drops the MOTHER LODE!!!!!!

WHAT A TREAT WE ARE IN FOR!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Chief and joeradza like this.
  19. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Great thread idea,Jeff !

The sabre grind... its not the best for slicing cheese ;)

But the worn bone and caramel color, the blade grind, the wrap around springs, the curves of this Remington pleases my intellects eye. The sharp knife of the intellect and it's exclusiveness...ah boundaries are going to make this easy :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

One

20. The Fort

The Fort Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Jeff, picking three favorites, based on aesthetics only, is a pretty tall order. I feel that I’m going to look back at this, at some point, and wonder what I was thinking. Okay, here we go! I can’t even conceive doing this without some Case, red bone. First up is my 6392. EF322158-CEC6-4AF8-9453-C28AD04804B6.jpeg 5828BC06-1C17-40E4-815B-DECAA099DCA7.jpeg Next, I have to present another Case, with a little influence from Mr. Bose. B4872DA0-2FDA-41A4-9D60-BADEB5B313D1.jpeg And finally, based again on color and jigging, is my Bulldog Prototype Stockman. 30FF4492-2C40-4452-8BF0-3DEE61AB6C5D.jpeg Lance