Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by T.Knotts, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    In case there was any question as to how white trash I am, I drink blended whisky through a bendy straw.
    20200923_163348-01.jpeg

Wharn, mitch4ging and Rupestris like this.
  2. Dopic1

Dopic1 Irredeemable wood purveyor Platinum Member

Apr 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

mitch4ging and Rupestris like this.
  3. gunspease

gunspease Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2002
    AEA5EA31-54A3-4980-9A44-A9DA37A6A409.jpeg Dinner tonight

mitch4ging and Redmeadow Knives like this.
  4. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    I just got a box of wood back from K&G that I had stabilized and dyed. I'll rey to post some pictures as I get things cleaned up.

@SpyderPhreak had sent me a large block of Honduran Mahogany a while ago. Here are a couple of pieces, one dyed black and one dyed brown. These are at 60 grit with some water wiped on them, I think they'll finish out really well. Thanks again Jared!

20201015_183714-01.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Mack and jlauffer like this.
  5. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Here's some stabilized cherry (no dye)
    20201015_185635-01.jpeg

jlauffer and gunspease like this.
  6. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Wow, those turned out nice! :cool: That Cherry has some pretty unusual looking grain. ETA - quarter-sawn, perhaps?

7. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    They're not quarter sawn but they have a really nice effect in the grain. I don't know enough about wood grain to know what that's called. It looks like it will give a nice chatoyance.

8. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Chatoyance...had to look that one up:oops:

mitch4ging likes this.
  9. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    I did too not long ago, I guess you could say shimmery? That creepy shine some wood gets when ya turn it back and forth? Seems to me it had to do with sugar in the wood but I might have learned that in a dream:eek:

It's funny how there are words we use as knife nuts that really have no place in normal conversation. When was the last time you used Choil or Ricasso in a sentence not related to knives? Or remember when Tang had a couple of different meanings??

mitch4ging and jlauffer like this.
  10. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    I learned the word "chatoyance" years ago in reference to the wood on some gun stocks, specifically one really amazing piece of tiger-stripe quilted maple. :eek: :cool:

11. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    That's some of the nicest figured Cherry I've ever seen. It almost looks like quarter sawn Maple? Cherry doesn't look great quarter sawn, it's usually very plain. Cherry can have a lot of figure though when it's quilted. \/ \/
    [​IMG]
    I get a cubby when I hear that word. :D

12. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Damn that looks nice!:thumbsup:

13. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    Not mine but I made two end tables and a coffee table with figured Cherry similar to that. Cheesy cell phone pic.
    [​IMG]

mitch4ging and jlauffer like this.
  14. SpyderPhreak

Apr 13, 2004
    Yeah, agreed. I'd never guess that to be Cherry if I was trying to figure it out. Quite unusual.

15. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    @mitch4ging Dennis! Good to see you around my friend.

mitch4ging likes this.
  16. mitch4ging

mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    Hey, Scooter!!
    Hope I can get a response in, we're out camping, not great coverage. Am trying to get a photo to upload at Imgur, but happening!:mad:

How are you guys doing? Closer to retirement?

The weather is wonky here right now, cold and wet Sunday, ok Monday, Tuesday was perfect, nice night for a fire and adult beverages and whatnot, tonighr warm and muggy as hell. But still better than being in town!

Hey to everyone!:cool::thumbsup:

17. Dopic1

Apr 1, 2013
    Doing okay my friend, 129 days until retirement. Enjoy the camping trip.

greatscoot, Rupestris and jlauffer like this.
  18. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    I'm about 1200 days behind you Scott, can't wait.

Good to hear from you Dennis, have fun camping!

Dopic1 likes this.
  19. jmgruber

jmgruber Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 27, 2018
    I should not have calculated how many days I have until retirement :confused:
    Finish strong!

20. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    I started counting 11 years out:eek:

Dopic1 and jmgruber like this.