Quintessential GEC?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by nickvnlr, Dec 30, 2020.

1. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Quintessential GEC? The Esteemed 73!
    [​IMG]
    sparerow

2. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    15 Boys Knife or a 73 Trapper.

3. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I'm hearing DrEvil laughter...reaching that crescendo of mirth then fading down to an embarrassed chuckling.:D

4. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    #23 as well
    Plus the #43....same shape different sizes.
    For me they seem the most traditional go anywhere do anything blades with the astounding array of togs just andding to the functional art of GEC.
    cheers hyn.

Misplaced Hillbilly and Camillus like this.
  5. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    The barlows with the TC stamp... what a brilliant idea. Tom had his adventures. We wouldn't be able to enjoy the peaks near as much without the valleys. Happy new year

meako, Airborne 1, Cutfinger and 3 others like this.
  6. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    The people have spoken!
    I am just going to supply some pictures.

My first GEC - #73
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My oldest GEC - #15
    [​IMG]

I am, however, going to second @Misplaced Hillbilly on #71, as I believe it is the one that is most spread among the people and is often the one that they're not afraid to use. In many cases it is the gateway drug and it would be shame not to own one.
    [​IMG]

7. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Very true Jeff :cool: But they could certainly do another 73 full run, been a while since it was seen.

8. Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Of course, quintessential can mean a lot of things ;)

I certainly don't disagree that the 73 and 15 are core patterns and the latter has produced a lot of variants and very satisfyingly so. These could be looked on as 'iconic' but that's a rather debased word like 'legend' :rolleyes:

Quintessential GEC for me means doing differently, the revival of long vanished patterns which prior to the GEC version were really difficult to find. For instance the 92 Eureka Jack and the Farmer's Jack (one of the excellent 38 types) The Eureka appeared in very sleek unadorned Tidioute form, all steel, wraparound spring - nice detail- and the beautiful Galvanic SFO with Gimp shield which I don't have, few do ;) This quality of reviving lost or obscure patterns set GEC apart and is thus quintessential to me, it's a quality that has been diluted over the years-but that could change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  9. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    White Owl

10. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I'm not really a GEC fan in the sense of owning lots of them, but I certainly enjoy admiring most of the GECs I see others posting. So just based on my "second-hand knowledge", I'd nominate the #35 Churchill (nice ebony or stag).
    But some of the models suggested by others here are certainly not far behind (#15, #73, #71, #38 Grinling).

- GT

Camillus, solphilos, mcc850 and 2 others like this.
  11. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    Because I'm a relative newcomer to the world of knife collecting my opinion is probably going to differ from others as to what defines
    "Quintessential GEC". IMG_1267.JPG

TexasTomcat, Don W, Travman and 14 others like this.
  12. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    Gotta be the single blade 15, preferably clip for me. The model in that configuration dominates my collection. That or single blade clip 48 or 77.

13. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2014
    To me its the 57, 74, 15
    There are still 15's on the dealers shelves for under a c-note!

14. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    When I looked up the definition of “quintessential”, it is something that is typical or a pure example. I pondered on this and I think you could reasonably argue it applies to GECs as a whole. What other factory production cutlery company has and still makes such a wide variety of traditional folders? Therefore I humbly submit the #89. The split back springs are a thing of beauty. :)
    6032D413-B4B8-4366-9CA6-0DD637F413C8.jpeg

Nature Boy, Don W, pmek5 and 10 others like this.
  15. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Another vote for the 15.

1BB74F1A-A3F0-42A7-A4C6-86EEB6859185.jpeg

Don W, pmek5, sunknife and 3 others like this.
  16. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Between the 15 and the 73 is the 77.
    I've sold off most of my 15s, the two that I've kept have some sentimental value. I much prefer my 77 over a 15...but, admittedly, I like the size of the 73. Since nobody else (that I've noticed) has had the good sense to do so, I'll also add the 92 to the discussion (Talon for me, please)

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  17. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Well, its true that the 15 is a bit small, but its just so recognisable as a GEC pattern.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    JohnDF and Will Power like this.
  18. Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I wouldn't say it's small really, it's certainly versatile, and it IS recognisable because of this and being a revival of the Boy's Knife:cool: Now its cousin the 14, THAT'S small, too much so ;)

Cutfinger, Camillus and btb01 like this.
  19. Groundhogsniper

Groundhogsniper

Jan 15, 2017
    What handle material is that on the bottom knife? Smooth ivory bone? Very nice whatever it is!

20. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    I had that exact thought about the 92. Probably because my ebony Talon (well, all of my Talons) is my favorite GEC, but it's also a representation of the obscure, "lost" patterns that they've brought back into popularity.

[​IMG]

But, my vote for the "quintessential" GEC goes to the 15.

[​IMG]

I can understand arguments for 23 or 73 or another of the larger ones, but I don't own one, so I don't have an opinion on them.

KnifeandEasy, Don W, pmek5 and 6 others like this.