R.I.P my best buddy. :*(

Had to put my dog down today. He was my best friend and I'm totally at a loss of what to do now. I can't stop thinking about him. I can't sleep and he was tough right up til the end he wouldn't go to sleep it took 3 times the normal dose and he still wouldn't go..which made it even harder he kept trying to get up to be next to me. I feel so horrible and I don't know if it was the right thing to do. I'm sorry I know this isn't the right place for this but I just didn't know what else to do.

I'm so sorry to hear this brother. It makes me upset just reading the post. As time passes it will get easier but your pain will always be there. Just remember the good times you had with him and just keep in mind he's in a better place. God bless.

All I can do is offer my deepest condolences and say that I understand. I started this year with 6 dogs (3 Huskies, 2 Pit bulls and a Great Pyrenees) all of which were closer to me than most humans and I'm ending it with all of them passed. I don't mean to bring you down any deeper its just I do understand what your going through all too well.

Our 4 legged friends never stay around long enough. It's not an easy decision to make but the questioning will always be there. Even if you let him go full term you might have wondered if you should have relieved him of his suffering sooner. It's tough, hang in there bro.

For those of us who really love our little friends, losing them is one of the most painful things we'll ever go through. If your dog was suffering you did the right thing, don't ever doubt that. He may be gone physically but his spirit is alive in your heart. Remember the love you gave each other.

Animals become family. Putting a family member down is a hard thing to do. It takes time to get over. My condolences...

Sorry to hear that; been there and it's never an easy decision, but often necessary.

You are definitely posting in the right place. I had to do the same thing as you, and the people here are the most supportive people on the internet. Sorry for your loss, but rest assured that they will be waiting for you when you get there........

sorry for your loss. my uncle couldnt bring himself to do it to his 13yowhite shepherd although the dog was clearly suffering during the last months and couldnt even walk anymore - better do whats best for the animal

i also miss my 3year old male russian blue who vanished end of october

remember the good times you had!

I'm sorry for your loss, brother.
I was in the the same situation a few weeks ago after having to put down my dog of 8 years.
I couldn't sleep or eat for a few days either but it'll get better with time. Try not to "replay" the bad memories and cherish the beautiful ones.

Rest in peace to your dog and mine:*(

Last edited:
You should post some pictures of your friend. So, we can help you celebrate his life......

Yeah... must be some dust in the air here as my eye seems to be watering as well... :( I have been through this three times in my life and there was a gap of nearly 20years between the first and second time, the first took so much out of me I could not bring myself to have another dog, the last two were no easier however in all three cases I KNEW without a shadow of a doubt it was right to do it FOR them. Each and every time I look at and smile at my two pups now I feel a little dread :(

It hurts but you are saving them from or alleviating their pain, along with a good home and companionship this is one of the things we can give back to them, as much as it may hurt us.

Give it some time, that pain WILL subside and the laughs and smiles your pup gave you will come back to the forefront of your memory.

Andy

Sorry bout your mate. I shouldn't have read this thread cuz I'm tearing up remembering my best mates.
Yabba

For those of us who really love our little friends, losing them is one of the most painful things we'll ever go through. If your dog was suffering you did the right thing, don't ever doubt that. He may be gone physically but his spirit is alive in your heart. Remember the love you gave each other.

Caseguy is right; I went through the same thing last year when I had to have my 16 year old beagle buddy put down. Try to remember all the good times you had together.

SAY NOT IN GRIEF THAT HE IS NO MORE, BUT LIVE IN THANKFULNESS THAT HE WAS... Dogs are not designed to live forever and I am sorry for your loss, gotta be strong like your buddy

Can't replace 'em, but you can help another one out by giving it a home.
Hope you cheer up, bro. Hate that situation every time, but it never stops me from getting right back into it.

My condolences....I'm feeling you brother as I think about all the wonderful times I enjoyed with my own boys that are resting in a more
peaceful and pain free place. They never listened to a word I said but they were always there with unconditional love and never ending
loyalty. I'm getting a little misty here but I know you will find as time passes the memories of your buddy will always bring you happiness.

Back