Random Thought Thread

They measured my daughter's IQ at 117 which is pretty bright. She is in a nurturing home with two relatively progressive well-educated parents who work from home and are with her all the time. Her parents are moderate centrist with mom leaning left and dad leaning right. We spend lots of time with her we have a good solid relationship with her and always have. No amount of good parenting is going to prepare an unsupervised middle school aged child for today's social media. It's a bad idea. It is an enormous problem that is easily avoided. Just take away the phone.

They are gullible and will believe anything. And once a belief has a hold of you, it's difficult to shake it.
I agree with everything you said Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist with one exception: it’s not just kids. I have some wierd interest, but holes in human psyche and reason is one of the weirder ones. What you’re talking about is called the Illusory Truth Effect and adults are just as suceptible to it as kids. The effect is one of the big factors as to why you will meet clearly intelligent people believing dumb things. What you hear first and most frequently is the thing you are most likely to believe. There are a million factors, of course, but it is a very predictable one.

Last edited:
In terms that are more easily understood on this forum...(it also works in reverse.)

21855186.jpg

Didn't love their pick but yes, seems like an insurance policy against Aiyuk 🤷‍♂️

I'm neutral about the pick but personally I think the Niners need more/better help on the O-line and hope they pick some still available talent with their 2nd & 3rd round picks today.

Here's a link to an article by Matt Maiocco (a local sports reporter) about the Niners' draft needs:

And here's another local report who really hates the Pearsall pick:

Last edited:
And that sounds really good when you say it out loud

And I would subscribe to that

Except I have direct firsthand experience and visibility in this exact thing and I have found that what you're saying is actually not true. In an ideal world, maybe. But in reality, it just doesn't work out that way. It is magical thinking.

Hoping to prevent gullible children being exposed to misinformation from developing thinking errors by "instilling critical thinking in your children so they can differentiate real from fantasy" isn't going to work. Have you met children? Even the smart ones are really dumb. I would wager there has never been a child born in this world whose critical reasoning was strong enough to go up against unfiltered TikTok. Not gonna work. Not in the real world. Most adults can't even do that effectively.

Agreed. My wife and I aren't big on social media. We've already decided that our children don't need it and the problems it brings. We're also not allowing smartphones until an appropriate age and we plan to limit screen time in general.

There are several high level employees and former employees, including officers, of social media companies that don't allow their kids to use or have social media accounts. That says something that everyone should pay attention to, in my opinion.

My kids were not allowed to have a phone until they were in high school. With the contingency that they would have to play a sport every season. Being the main reason they would need a phone was to call for a ride home when they were done with practice. Otherwise, why would the need a phone?

The other rule was that phones needed to be charged in the living room at night. Phones were not allowed in the rooms at night.

Except I have direct firsthand experience and visibility in this exact thing and I have found that what you're saying is actually not true. In an ideal world, maybe. But in reality, it just doesn't work out that way. It is magical thinking.

Hoping to prevent gullible children being exposed to misinformation from developing thinking errors by "instilling critical thinking in your children so they can differentiate real from fantasy" isn't going to work. Have you met children? Even the smart ones are really dumb. I would wager there has never been a child born in this world whose critical reasoning was strong enough to go up against unfiltered TikTok. Not gonna work. Not in the real world. Most adults can't even do that effectively.
I would just say this ... I believe there was a time when kids/people in general were independant enough to sort out most of the B.S., but the bombardment of one-sided or completely false narratives being thrown at them today coupled by unfettered access to basically everything has definitely changed the vast majority of young people ... and even many older folks.

But it is Friday and the beer is on ice. As long as the storms don't get crazy, to quote ARS "I'm not gonna let it bother me tonight." 🍻

Of course children are dumb, that's why parents have to educate them. Gullible children grow into gullible adults because their parents don't teach them critical thinking. Is your child going to be any smarter because they didn't use TikTok? I doubt it. Before social media, it was TV. Before TV, it was comic books, etc.

We shot each other with BB guns before there was paintball. Layered up with hoodies and wore protective goggles. Only Red Ryders or one pump on the old Crossman style was allowed. Sure enough, one guy always pumped his rifle 2 or 3 times and a fist fight broke out. The good old days. We were young, dumb, and happy. But we settled our differences like young men, shook hands, and moved on.

Of course children are dumb, that's why parents have to educate them. Gullible children grow into gullible adults because their parents don't teach them critical thinking. Is your child going to be any smarter because they didn't use TikTok? I doubt it. Before social media, it was TV. Before TV, it was comic books, etc.
Granted, there have always been factors before social media, but there’s no question that social media has had a disproportionate impact on youth.

It’s negatively affecting their psyches, moods and emotions, attention spans, and yes, reasoning ability.

It used to be that aberrant thinking and behavior, tended to get weeded out simply because it was uncommon (of course, there were also plenty of folks who were initially castigated for thinking outside the box), but nowadays, with the ease of internet access, no matter how wild something is, you’ll be able to find groups of people who think/feel/believe it.

How is a young mind with little experience, supposed to weed out the chaff from the wheat, when they don’t know what either is?

It’s not just young minds either; it seems nowadays, reasoning is no longer in vogue. Most people simply go with what “feels right”, then choose to ignore anything contradictory, while accepting anything that confirms their bias/preconceived notions.

I remember a phrase I first encountered many years ago;
“You cannot reason a person out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into”.

I’ve since seen and experienced that firsthand, many, many times.

What you’re talking about is called the Illusory Truth Effect and adults are just as suceptible to it as kids. The effect is one of the big factors as to why you will meet clearly intelligent people believing dumb things. What you hear first and most frequently is the thing you are most likely to believe. There are a million factors, of course, but it is a very predictable one.

Like politicians that tell obvious lies again and again.

We shot each other with BB guns before there was paintball. Layered up with hoodies and wore protective goggles. Only Red Ryders or one pump on the old Crossman style was allowed. Sure enough, one guy always pumped his rifle 2 or 3 times and a fist fight broke out. The good old days. We were young, dumb, and happy. But we settled our differences like young men, shook hands, and moved on.
At age 12 we used to climb onto the roof of our school which was covered in a thick layer of pebbles, so we had slingshot fights up there. I fell off the roof when my friends mishandled our knotted rope. Landed flat on my back and crawled around unable to breathe.

At age 14, we would shoot each other in the back with a pistol pellet gun, wearing a thick leather jacket (in my parents' basement). It turned out that one guy had never shot a gun before and worried about hitting my head, he shot me in the ass. I grabbed the gun as he ran into my dad's office and locked the door. I carefully shot the side of his foot through a crack under the door. The sounds of the gun and his scream were simultaneous. That instantly made us even, so he came out and everything was fine.

Speaking of dumb kids: My wife works in behavioral health in an adjacent school district. One of the kids in her school found a random inhaler on the ground on his way to school today, brought it with him, hid it from staff and proceeded to share it with his classmates, each taking several hits from it. One of the knuckleheads took over 20 puffs from it and had to go the hospital.

Our future is secured, boys.

ubdlh9N.gif

Kids today need to trade in social media for nunchuks and firecrackers. They'd be a lot happier and well-rounded. Just saying. By the time I was 12, I was putting IEDs in my neighbor's flower pots. I learned a lot of practical knowledge from my tomfoolery.
By the time I was 12 I'd done enough to be threatened with military school, reform school and prison. LOL.
Sometimes you just get lucky and change paths. I had a teacher in 6th grade who I credit with helping me choose.

Back