Ranking of Steels in Categories based on Edge Retention cutting 5/8" rope

Well my 810 has been reassembled. I didn't want to ask them to break it down again. The guy that has helped me all along said that they could test it, but they (Benchmade) have already gone waaay out of their way to help me. It would just feel like taking advantage of their kindness at this point! :)

What would be the optimum hardness for M390? 62 or 63?

Thanks for all the awesome information. I can't believe how much info is in this thread.

Craig
Ankerson, I would really like to hear your thoughts on how hard M390 can go without abusing the knife (I take care of my blades). I sharpened my new 581 Barrage tonight on my WEPS and was amazed at how it took a slight reprofile and edge. Immediately disassembled it and will be sending it off for heat treatment. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on optimal hardness for this alloy. 62? 63?

I will be asking for before RHC as well as after.

Thanks,

Craig

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
Gold Member
Ankerson, I would really like to hear your thoughts on how hard M390 can go without abusing the knife (I take care of my blades). I sharpened my new 581 Barrage tonight on my WEPS and was amazed at how it took a slight reprofile and edge. Immediately disassembled it and will be sending it off for heat treatment. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on optimal hardness for this alloy. 62? 63?

I will be asking for before RHC as well as after.

Thanks,

Craig

I tested M390 at 62 RC on 2 different Customs, 1 was .010" behind the edge and the other was .005" behind the edge and didn't have any issues with either.

I think 62 is a good balance.

So I got my BM 581 Barrage M390 blade back from Paul Bos Heat Treating. Just thought I'd mention that it tested 59.8 average before the heat treat and he got it to 60.8 average (60.5 to 61.2) after heat treating. BM lists this blade at 60-62. They did a triple temper on the blade.

I will note that we discussed going higher but it was explained to me that the hardness will go up slightly but loose stainless properties.

The laser etching from BM is barely visible. I left the thumb stud in the blade. I'm anxious to use this blade now.

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
Gold Member
So I got my BM 581 Barrage M390 blade back from Paul Bos Heat Treating. Just thought I'd mention that it tested 59.8 average before the heat treat and he got it to 60.8 average (60.5 to 61.2) after heat treating. BM lists this blade at 60-62. They did a triple temper on the blade.

I will note that we discussed going higher but it was explained to me that the hardness will go up slightly but loose stainless properties.

The laser etching from BM is barely visible. I left the thumb stud in the blade. I'm anxious to use this blade now.

That should work great, my CF Military in M390 is at 61. :thumbup:

That should work great, my CF Military in M390 is at 61. :thumbup:
Thank-you Sir!

I have really appreciated this thread and all the work you have done. I routinely look at your list of blade steels and have learned a ton from this thread.

Craig

So Custom knives are non-competitors, due to the optimal HT and geometry? I'd like to see a comparison of something like s90v in a Phil Wilson and a Mule or Military, just to see the difference.

Any plans for M2, A2, O1 or 52100? All of those are (or were) pretty common, if you think the comparison is worthwile. Or what about some carbon steels like 1095 or 1084 at different hardnesses?

Ankerson

Knife and Computer Geek
Gold Member
So Custom knives are non-competitors, due to the optimal HT and geometry? I'd like to see a comparison of something like s90v in a Phil Wilson and a Mule or Military, just to see the difference.

Any plans for M2, A2, O1 or 52100? All of those are (or were) pretty common, if you think the comparison is worthwile. Or what about some carbon steels like 1095 or 1084 at different hardnesses?

That comparison is coming sooner than you think... ;)

Just watch the forums.....

Aye aye, I'll keep an eye out for just such a thing!

Keep up the good work by the way, your tests are easily the most comprehensive and fair while being imminently accessible and useful for all levels of enthusiast!

Ankerson,If I was in the USA more I would send you some blades to test, but I'm mostly in Canada unless on vacation or picking up parcels. The shipping costs might be an issue. Keep up the great work, I'm tuned in!

Just made my first purchase since my m390 gunhammer at 62 . I bought a s110v 0560. Do you think it will hold an edge longer then my gunhammer ?

Just made my first purchase since my m390 gunhammer at 62 . I bought a s110v 0560. Do you think it will hold an edge longer then my gunhammer ?

What's the thickness behind the edge on each? Wonder what the RC actually is on the GH, not saying its not 62, but that's pretty high for a production blade. I have no idea what ZT ran the 0560 at, but if its 61 or above my money would be on the S110V.

I have a K390 from OTK at 64RC and its a beast and have on order from OTK a blade in S110V at 63 RC... Needless to say I can't wait and David is a pleasure to work with, top notch guy to say the least.

I would like to hear Mr. Ankerson's thoughts as well, however:)

What's the thickness behind the edge on each? Wonder what the RC actually is on the GH, not saying its not 62, but that's pretty high for a production blade. I have no idea what ZT ran the 0560 at, but if its 61 or above my money would be on the S110V.

I have a K390 from OTK at 64RC and its a beast and have on order from OTK a blade in S110V at 63 RC... Needless to say I can't wait and David is a pleasure to work with, top notch guy to say the least.

I would like to hear Mr. Ankerson's thoughts as well, however:)

I too have a custom from David in S110V on order. Stand up guy.

I read at one place the the 0560 in S110V was ran at 62RC. If that is the case I am pretty sure based off vanadium content that it would trump M390.

I too have a custom from David in S110V on order. Stand up guy.

I read at one place the the 0560 in S110V was ran at 62RC. If that is the case I am pretty sure based off vanadium content that it would trump M390.

Wow that would be impressive and well worth the price. ZT has really stepped up to run it that hard even for a limited production knife! Thanks for that info... now I need to find one for sale:)

Wow that would be impressive and well worth the price. ZT has really stepped up to run it that hard even for a limited production knife! Thanks for that info... now I need to find one for sale:)

You bet. It would probably be best to confirm that info directly with Kershaw. That RC hardness came from a retailer, so there is the possibility of misinformation.

You bet. It would probably be best to confirm that info directly with Kershaw. That RC hardness came from a retailer, so there is the possibility of misinformation.

I am happy to say I'll be able to cut with one very soon! Just picked one up on the exchange. I tried to get one forever on every website I could think of, definitely didn't think I'd find one on the exchange for nearly the same price and didn't even have to wait the forever long wait.

Now when David get mine done I'll have to really put them through the paces! Should be fun but the thickness behind the edge of David's should be much thinner (.010) than the ZT