Rare !!!Plumb axe help dating and other information

Thank you Agent_H. Lots of goodies and info to scrutinize in there. Mentions in a 1922 ad that the 'take up' wedge was patented Aug 15 1922 and prominent mention of these wedges in ads disappears outright between May of 1943, which does feature them and April of 1944 which doesn't. Also the Plumb 'mahoganized' (that's what they call it) wood colour and black head finish had come into use already in 1919.

I have that article on DVD (and I mentioned it earlier in this thread) from The Chronicle (The Chronicle of The Early American Industries Association, Vol. 37, No. 4, December 1984, pages 70-71, "Yerkes & Plumb" by Dan Comerford) about the history of Plumb, as told (or written) to the author by Fayette R. Plumb II (the grandson of the original F.R. Plumb).

Here's what FRPII said about Permabond:

"1954 -- Plumb Permabond appears as black material in Leader Tools -- marketed until 1955 -- L81 only."

"1955 -- Permabond in all tools of top grade. Fiberglass handle F55 and F55R appear -- solid fiberglass handle."

Some other dates from his timeline that might help with figuring out when a Plumb tool was made:

"1910-1911 -- Plant built in St. Louis, Mo., to manufacture axes."

"1920 -- Plumb changes to trademark colors of black head & red handle"

"1940 -- All tools stamped Genuine Plumb"

"1942 -- 'Victory' finish introduced & for duration of WWII"

"1960 -- St. Louis plant is closed and sold. All manufacturing shifted to Philadelphia."
[YesteryearsTools shows some of the labels associated with the St. Louis plant.]

Mr. Plumb also disclosed that Plumb made the following brands, among others:
Blue Grass
O-V-B (Our Very Best)
Diamond Edge

This is really cool, Thank you Steve Tall!

Thank you Agent_H. Lots of goodies and info to scrutinize in there. Mentions in a 1922 ad that the 'take up' wedge was patented Aug 15 1922 and prominent mention of these wedges in ads disappears outright between May of 1943, which does feature them and April of 1944 which doesn't. Also the Plumb 'mahoganized' (that's what they call it) wood colour and black head finish had come into use already in 1919.

Thanks 300six. It’s not pretty like the work provided by “Steve Tall Productions”

Thanks 300six. It’s not pretty like the work provided by “Steve Tall Productions”

What I have also learned from catalogue illustrations in this thread is that the head pictured below is not a Plumb 'CEDAR' pattern, such as we have been referring to these, but rather a 'NATIONAL'. Although this particular Plumb 3 1/2 lb has no 'take up' wedge nor Permabond the previously guesstimated age (between 1945 and 1955) obviously doesn't hold water anymore.

July%202015%20035%20Medium_zpsjxnd9fva.jpg

July%202015%20036%20Medium_zpssleeo18q.jpg
[/URL]

What I have also learned from catalogue illustrations in this thread is that the head pictured below is not a Plumb 'CEDAR' pattern, such as we have been referring to these, but rather a 'NATIONAL'. Although this particular Plumb 3 1/2 lb has no 'take up' wedge nor Permabond the previously guesstimated age (between 1945 and 1955) obviously doesn't hold water anymore...

The Plumb National axes weren't introduced until 1948 (copyright date, and ads found), so that narrows it down a little.

Catalog of Copyright Entries: Third series - Page 153
https://books.google.com/books?id=yk8hAQAAIAAJ
1948 - ‎Read
Here's the new Plumb National axe. (Axes) Folder. © 10Sep48; KK26883.

Hardware Age - Volume 162, Issues 8-9 - Page 23
https://books.google.com/books?id=y5ETAQAAMAAJ
1948 - ‎Snippet view
"HERE'S THE NEW PLUMB AXE Choppers in all sections of the country were consulted in designing the PLUMB National Axe. Plumb took their preferences and combined them with modern science to produce a practical axe design that ...

New York Forester - Volumes 6-10
https://books.google.com/books?id=qgNOAAAAYAAJ
1949 - ‎Snippet view
...the Plum National axe, a recently-developed pattern that can be safely used for driving wedges as well as for chopping...

That's the same copyright listing that I just posted from 1948 (note the copyright date © 10Sep48). The book listed as 1947 must contain more than one year.

I saw that it was the same photo in reference, just saw the 1947 and thought it placed it there abouts.

Kind of wonder when they stopped making them in that pattern.

They make for nice looking axes.

I was trolling through the Boy’s Life archives and happened on to a “Super Scout Axe” reference/picture that sure looks like it has the beveled poll of the National pattern. This was in 1971.

"Plumb Ad." Boy's Life Mar. 1971: 12. Print. Plumb Ad, Super Scout Axe, Permabond

Little Closer look

I believe Plumb put that same head on the National, Super Scout and other brands.

Excellent thread guys.

I'm thinking that they are both the National pattern, but in different weights (along with the "Pack Axe"). The three of them resemble National pattern more than they do the Cedar pattern.

From a BSA ad:
Pack Axe, 1-1/4# head, 13-1/2" handle
Super Scout axe, 1-3/4 lb. head, 24" handle
Explorer axe, 2-1/4# lb. head, 26-1/2" handle

I was trolling through the Boy’s Life archives and happened on to a “Super Scout Axe” reference/picture that sure looks like it has the beveled poll of the National pattern. This was in 1971.

"Plumb Ad." Boy's Life Mar. 1971: 12. Print. Plumb Ad, Super Scout Axe, Permabond

1971.Boys.Life.Super.scout.jpg

OEM Haft on the 'National' photos featured earlier does not have a clipped foot. Nor Permabond!

July%202015%20033%20Medium_zpstyhche5w.jpg

Alocksly has previously posted some photos from his copy of Official Scout Blades by Ed Holbrook. The different axes are pictured, along with approximate years they were used by the Scouts. There's even an official Girl Scout hatchet, with a green head and GSA emblem.

My book says Plumb. Both mine look like yours, though one was rehung and held to the grinder by the previous owner.

The reason I posted an unclipped fawn's foot picture of an OEM handle on a National is because the 1971 Plumb ad only shows clipped foot handles. Handles from ads in the 20s and 30s are quite a bit more distinctive (much like the ones that COTS currently creates) than post WWII. Etc Etc. Could well be that handle profiles on 'unmolested' Plumbs are a way they can be age dated more reliably than wedge types or lack thereof.

Some more data, to add to the mix. A price sheet for Plumb axes, dated 1964. "Permabond Assembly" is listed for Jet Wing, Dreadnaught, and National brands.

The Plumb All American axes have no mention of Permabond. (They are available in Dayton, Jersey, Kentucky, Michigan, Swamping, and Western patterns, at $48/dozen, in contrast with the $60 and up cost listed for Jet Wing and Dreadnaught).

PlumbAxes1964.jpg

Thanks for the information!!!

Unfortunately you have nothing definitive to work with but it's neither very old (pre 44 with 'take up' wedge) nor very new (post 81) IMO. That there is no Permabond means it's a utility model (or made between 44 and 56) and not high end. Knob end (instead of fawns foot) handles (seems to me) were fashionable in the 50s. I think it's fairly safe to guesstimate mid 50s for this +/- and not be challenged. The head is nicely sculpted and finished and it was carefully hung. Craftsmanship definitely began to decline starting in the 1960s.
Hang it on the wall as a keepsake and keep your eye open for another one that you can actually use without depreciating the value.

Back