Rat cutlery or Ontario?

Hi, I have taken notice and I am thinking of buying a rat-3 knife. I will be using the rat-3 for basic EDC work ie. cutting rope, boxes, maybe even defense and tactical situations and some light-medium wood cutting, stripping bark etc. Nothing too much like tough survival use. So with that being said would the rat-3 from rat cutlery or ontario/ 1095 or D2 be the better choice. Thanks

I can tell you from extensive direct experience with knives from both companies, that the ones you'll buy from RAT Cutlery are handmade and finished with excruciating attention to detail and quality control and a warranty and personal service from the owners/designers that is unmatched.

The Ontarios are not.

actually i do have a question regarding this

were old ontarios RATs actualy made by rat cutlery or did they just do the design?

I can tell you from extensive direct experience with knives from both companies, that the ones you'll buy from RAT Cutlery are handmade and finished with excruciating attention to detail and quality control and a warranty and personal service from the owners/designers that is unmatched.

The Ontarios are not.

rat, all the way. I've had both and there's no comparison.

Brett

actually i do have a question regarding this

were old ontarios RATs actualy made by rat cutlery or did they just do the design?

Rat doesn't MAKE knives. they design. rowan manufacturing are doing the new rat's.

Brett

so the old ontario RATs were also ontario made just as it is now?

so they are exactly the same?

The RAT team designed the knives and Ontario produced them, but RAT had no control over the production end. The RAT team did all the (fantastic) customer service, but they got too busy because of quality issues, so now they control both customer service AND production, and now they can produce knives at the level of quality they were not able to achieve working with Ontario. And they do it completely under their own name, but genreously, as is their character, give Rowen manufacturing their due credit.

Rowen is as fiercely dedicated to quality as the RAT team.

Hold 'em both in your own hands & compare for yourself. Why take our word for anything?

The RAT team did all the (fantastic) customer service, but they got too busy because of quality issues, so now they control both customer service AND production, and now they can produce knives at the level of quality they were not able to achieve working with Ontario.

So the RAT team got too issed off becaue of the number of complaint isues they had, when the ontario team was responsible for the production?

and now they have: no more, or less complaints because of the new production team

so who doe the marketing?

..it seems to me that they can not mess up their public image by saying anything bad about their new production team because they would be hurt, because that would mean ontario would outselll them their their 'basically' very own products.

anyway, what i mean to say is: this smells of politics:

corporate politics

screw it

my ontario rat doe fine, until proven otherwise

i do not intermingle

Many of the Ontario RATs were and are excellent. They either were great, or they had to be replaced. There was no in-between. If yours is one of the good ones, then it will serve you well, and you should stick with it.

But Ontario is no longer licensed to produce RAT cutlery designs. If they continue to do so, then they are just another company producing knock-offs and ripping off the people who own the designs.

Last edited:
huh!?

i'll read what i wrote, again, tomorrow

my inner darkness and such, might give me nightmares or something at this hour

The Rat Cutlery RC line is fantastic the Ontario line was hit and miss. The integrity behind the knives is also substantially better with the RC line. I refuse to own any Ontario products at this point but that's just me. I also try to avoid foreign made knives and Ontario produces quite a few of those. The RC 3 is definitely much improved over the Ontario line both the blades and the sheath systems.

Corporate dishonesty on the part of Ontario's senior management.
They blatantly tried to discredit RAT in order to steal their copyrights, trademarks, and patents. It was dirty pool all the way. The regular employees are great people. They are stuck having to answer to incompetent dirtbags in senior management and at the parent corporation.

And, I apologize, Nephil. I think I misinterpreted your post.

ok nvm

most importand to me is who has most contribution/influence on the actual results of production

the rest:

jut bickery over oney

ok nvm

most importand to me is who has most contribution/influence on the actual results of production

the rest:

jut bickery over oney

Actually it was a big corporation thinking they could intimidate the little guy. And they didn't care what kind of damage was done to the little guys in the process...

So, if control over production is what you care about, and/or getting the only authorized RAT designs, then your only logical next choice is RAT Cutlery. :)

yeah, but control over production is not production

I'd like to see more from or about Rowen production

you've just talked around them, i'm ure they are upto standard, but they actually still have no proof

xcept maybe a ower complaint rating from the company who processed the complaints, from the previus company who they have gotten into quite seriou argument with

Back