1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Recurves; like them? hate them?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by danbot, Jul 9, 2019.

1. I love 'em!

31.9%
  2. I hate' em!

35.0%
  3. I don't really care.

33.1%
  1. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    I like the look of a recurve, but I hate to sharpen them.
    They definitely have their uses though.

Twindog and danbot like this.
  2. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Why not?

3. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    I don't mind a recurve.

Sharpmaker whips one into shape real quick like.

Quiet, sliceofaloha, AntDog and 2 others like this.
  4. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    I really like the recurve on the benchmade 710, aesthetically pleasing and easy to sharpen. It helps when the recurve has a good sharpening choil, a recurve and no sharpening choil is a bad combination.

I had a zt 0200 and that recurve was very useful at grabbing material but it presented more of a challenge in sharpening.

AntDog and danbot like this.
  5. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    I generally like them, though I've more recently found ways to get a similar affect of gathering material with a straight edge making them easy to sharpen and have that single "serration" for loose material. Angling the entire blade instead of having the single swoop on the recurve.

I still like a nice bolo shape for chopping, however. For really small blades, like EDC sized, I won't own a recurve. I would say 4" blade min for a recurve as I still need some flat area to work with on the blade and too much under that and it might as well just be a combo edge, which I don't like either.

I sharpen with rounded diamond rods/sticks so recurves are easy to manage.

danbot likes this.
  6. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious?

Dec 25, 2012
    Coffee mugs handle recurves just fine as well.

DocJD likes this.
  7. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Not a big fan in general but I do have a few

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    The coffee mug rules. Don't forget the newspaper to strop afterward.

AntDog likes this.
  9. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious?

Dec 25, 2012
    I may be coffee mugs for life. I've gone six months or more now using all mugs all the time. I've been stropping on amazon boxes, but I'll have to try finish polishing on newspapers too for the fun of it.

DocJD and CanadaKnifeGuy like this.
  10. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kershaw blur in g10 and no recurve, now your king of the hill!!

11. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I’m neutral-leaning-towards-negative on the blade shape. I have no practical issues with them, but rarely do I see a recurve that is aesthetically pleasing to me.

I’ve used a few - Rajah, Spartan, Blur, 0350 - but... none of them really worked for me. That may have been the fault of the handles, though, come to think of it. 3/4 of the knives I just listed have odd handles, and two of them are assisted. Hmm.

Put me down as “not enough data”.

danbot likes this.
  12. Twindog

Twindog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 6, 2004
    They can look gorgeous or hideous.

They are not harder to sharpen, but they take longer to sharpen because they need a more narrow stone.

I seldom buy a recurve.

cbrstar and danbot like this.
  13. HCrum87hc

HCrum87hc Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I like the looks of them, but I'm not a big fan using, and definitely not sharpening them.

danbot likes this.
  14. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I voted I don't really care. I like how they cut and look, but they are more difficult to sharpen by hand (which I do). It isn't a deal breaker for me.

I generally prefer a drop or spear point, wharncliffe, or sheepfoot.

danbot likes this.
  15. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    When they are done tastefully like my little ZT. I think they are awesome

danbot likes this.
  16. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I prefer no recurve but whether I mind them or not depends on the individual knife. Some recurves I find easy enough to sharpen and some I find a major pain in the rear.

danbot likes this.
  17. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Don't mind them for bigger knives. I like Khukris and recurves on fighters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  18. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    In my opinion a recurved edge is something you find on an old knife that's been poorly and overly sharpened, I don't get it as a design feature.
    Maybe I'm missing something but they're not for me.

danbot and eveled like this.
  19. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Everyone that doesn't understand what use a recurve is, doesn't understand what use a hawkbill design is either.

Khanvoy44 and Bigfattyt like this.
  20. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    That’s completely false. A hawk bill or hook knife is a useful work knife shape. Or for horticulture. It does not have that recurved section in front of the Ricasso. A hook knife is different than a recurve blade.

One is useful the other is not.