Recurves; like them? hate them?

What is your opinion on recurved blades?

• Total voters
I'm not aware that being a recurve or not ever entered into my decision to buy a knife or not. On the other hand, I own "a few" knives, and this seems to be the only recurve that I have. So.....I dunno':)
DSC_0003-X3.jpg

I like them, and haven't ever had an issue with sharpening them. I think they're very useful for various tasks. I carried an Emerson Commander for awhile, and still carry a Custom Vindicator, both of which are recurve blades. Wicked sharp, and I've used them to cut food, paper, plenty of other materials. They're easy to maintain, and cut very well, what's not to like?

As for whoever it was that insinuated that recurves aren't useful, that's an opinion and definitely not a fact.

Personally I like a recurve. AAMOF, I like them so much I designed one and had it custom made. Sharpening hasn't been an issue but evenly (key word) stropping takes some practice. For the type of outdoor activities I do they work well.

Personally I like a recurve. AAMOF, I like them so much I designed one and had it custom made. Sharpening hasn't been an issue but evenly (key word) stropping takes some practice. For the type of outdoor activities I do they work well.

What type of outdoor activities??

"dislike" would be more accurate for me.
I've never found them more useful for any task, and depending on the design they can be a royal regal pain to sharpen on a bench stone.

My favorite folder is a recurveish blade but then again my lack of fine sharpening skills hates it. I like them but I much prefer a nice drop point or wharncliffe.

I've got an early production Benchmade 710 M2HS ... my favorite knife! The coated M2 blade is wicked sharp and very easy to sharpen on the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Never noticed any negatives with the recurve design. In fact, it's the last of all the Benchmades I still have and will never sell it as the 710 M2 is a true classic.

I love how they look, and for my needs I don't have any problems using them, but I don't really go seeking them out either.

Functionally I find them very nice but I avoid them like the plague as I don't want to attempt to sharpen them at this time.

Back