1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recurves; like them? hate them?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by danbot, Jul 9, 2019.

What is your opinion on recurved blades?

1. I love 'em!

31.7%
  2. I hate' em!

35.4%
  3. I don't really care.

32.9%
  1. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm not aware that being a recurve or not ever entered into my decision to buy a knife or not. On the other hand, I own "a few" knives, and this seems to be the only recurve that I have. So.....I dunno':)
    [​IMG]

lzeplin, Quiet and danbot like this.
  2. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I like them, and haven't ever had an issue with sharpening them. I think they're very useful for various tasks. I carried an Emerson Commander for awhile, and still carry a Custom Vindicator, both of which are recurve blades. Wicked sharp, and I've used them to cut food, paper, plenty of other materials. They're easy to maintain, and cut very well, what's not to like?

As for whoever it was that insinuated that recurves aren't useful, that's an opinion and definitely not a fact.

3. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I do not hate them - but I avoid them like :eek: a plague

danbot likes this.
  4. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Thread needs more pics;)

[​IMG]

5. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    That Lone Wolf is sweet!

WValtakis likes this.
  6. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Thanks, found that at a hole in the wall knife shop in Vegas at least 10 years ago...always wanted a Paul lock ;)

kniferbro likes this.
  7. theJman

theJman

Sep 2, 2015
    Personally I like a recurve. AAMOF, I like them so much I designed one and had it custom made. Sharpening hasn't been an issue but evenly (key word) stropping takes some practice. For the type of outdoor activities I do they work well.

danbot likes this.
  8. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    What type of outdoor activities??

9. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    Prefer not to have recurve for most things, but for slicing through meat, I love them.
    [​IMG]

danbot likes this.
  10. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    "dislike" would be more accurate for me.
    I've never found them more useful for any task, and depending on the design they can be a royal regal pain to sharpen on a bench stone.

danbot likes this.
  11. lzeplin

lzeplin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2012
    I love them!
    [​IMG]

DocJD and danbot like this.
  12. Hologram

Hologram Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I got a Kershaw Blur in 14C28N a while back and I liked it so much I got another in S30V. No problem sharpening on a Wicked Edge.

DocJD and danbot like this.
  13. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Ken onion REALLY loves recurves!

WValtakis and lzeplin like this.
  14. Kaibab270

Kaibab270 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2019
    My favorite folder is a recurveish blade but then again my lack of fine sharpening skills hates it. I like them but I much prefer a nice drop point or wharncliffe.

danbot likes this.
  15. Climb14er

Climb14er

Dec 16, 2003
    I've got an early production Benchmade 710 M2HS ... my favorite knife! The coated M2 blade is wicked sharp and very easy to sharpen on the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Never noticed any negatives with the recurve design. In fact, it's the last of all the Benchmades I still have and will never sell it as the 710 M2 is a true classic.

kniferbro and danbot like this.
  16. KAEDC

KAEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I love how they look, and for my needs I don't have any problems using them, but I don't really go seeking them out either.

danbot likes this.
  17. atdegs

atdegs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2019
    Not for me. Looks like a very evenly divided poll though.

danbot likes this.
  18. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Functionally I find them very nice but I avoid them like the plague as I don't want to attempt to sharpen them at this time.

danbot likes this.
  19. lzeplin

lzeplin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Benchmade 710 slight recurve but it's there.
    [​IMG]

danbot likes this.
  20. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm kind of surprised how evenly divided the poll is, having three options.