REK Ember fixed blade discussion thread

Since these are sharpened at 15* do you guys sharpen them on the 15* side of the sharpmaker?
You can use either... The 15 dps setting will likely work for a while then you can switch to the 20 dps slots. Personally I do the 20 just because it's so fast haha

The 2.5 is now my most carried and often carried knife 😂🥰 I haven’t put it down since the day I got it in the mail.
SkuasVd.jpg

The 2.5 is now my most carried and often carried knife 😂🥰 I haven’t put it down since the day I got it in the mail.
SkuasVd.jpg

It’s a very very nice version of the 2.5. There is probably a decent amount of Ember envy here on the REK sub. 🤣😂

Josh nailed this one. Congrats Mr. M Murphjd25

starting a one off 3.5 that I'm gonna do an auction on soon... figured I'll post up some WIP shots here for everyone to follow along!

So I got some desert ironwood form Arizona Ironwood a while back and decided to use it for a bookmatched set of scales on this build.... I think some black and white liners will look nice with it! I used some Blade Pro epoxy between both liners and scales and let them set up overnight before drilling my holes.

i-XW4dcKR-X2.jpg
i-PH7396G-X2.jpg

Then I went ahead and prepped the blank flats (which is already heat treated and rough ground) by surface grinding and hand-rubbing up to 400 grit

i-KpdQjHC-X2.jpg

Before glue up I had to make sure to finish the blade/forward side of the scales because you can't finish this section after it's permanently attached!

i-jP3fZ64-X4.jpg

i-C9Tjddt-X2.jpg

starting a one off 3.5 that I'm gonna do an auction on soon... figured I'll post up some WIP shots here for everyone to follow along!

So I got some desert ironwood form Arizona Ironwood a while back and decided to use it for a bookmatched set of scales on this build.... I think some black and white liners will look nice with it! I used some Blade Pro epoxy between both liners and scales and let them set up overnight before drilling my holes.

i-XW4dcKR-X2.jpg
i-PH7396G-X2.jpg

Then I went ahead and prepped the blank flats (which is already heat treated and rough ground) by surface grinding and hand-rubbing up to 400 grit

i-KpdQjHC-X2.jpg

Before glue up I had to make sure to finish the blade/forward side of the scales because you can't finish this section after it's permanently attached!

i-jP3fZ64-X4.jpg

i-C9Tjddt-X2.jpg

That thing is going to be sweeeet! Excellent figure and contrast in that ironwood, I can wait to see the finished product!

Thanks guys!

Here you can see the forward chamfer roughed in

i-G2ZsvX2-X2.jpg

Then I went ahead and finished it up to 2k grit and buffed... I don't really like how the grain shows after buffing (it's almost like a 3d texture as some elements are raised out of the wood) but oh well, that's how desert ironwood is!

i-VBCctGm-X2.jpg

Next it's time to pay some attention to the grind... so I scribed all my lines (where the scales are, center lines, and grind height lines) then started w/ a 120 grit ceramic belt

i-VVK2fw8-X2.jpg

Love layout lines... you can see here in this shot the center line and also where I sharpied to make sure the grind terminated at the same point side to side. I also double check grind height as I go from side to side w/ a caliper

i-hfwPBTP-X2.jpg

Back