• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Requesting Gareth Bull Shamwari Advice

Am I the only one who thinks the Shamwari looks strikingly similar to a Sebenza? I'm not talking Ferrari to Lamborghini, I mean there are certain aspects of the Shamwari that copy/paste and only add minimal personal twist to make it "his own". Look at the relief opposite the lockbar/lock face; identical, no? For the asinine amount of money the GB's demand and the saddening communication breakdown he displays, I'd rather buy from a company/family that respects the community and actually talks with the end user. Gareth's ego has got to be bigger than the wait list he's created. My $.02 is all...

**ETA this pic as reference....**
Screenshot-20190203-221525.png

Am I the only one who thinks the Shamwari looks strikingly similar to a Sebenza? I'm not talking Ferrari to Lamborghini, I mean there are certain aspects of the Shamwari that copy/paste and only add minimal personal twist to make it "his own". Look at the relief opposite the lockbar/lock face; identical, no? For the asinine amount of money the GB's demand and the saddening communication breakdown he displays, I'd rather buy from a company/family that respects the community and actually talks with the end user. Gareth's ego has got to be bigger than the wait list he's created. My $.02 is all...

They do indeed look similar, but they are also both extremely generic designs. That's not to say either is bad or good, they just don't have particularly strong or unique design language/style.

They do indeed look similar, but they are also both extremely generic designs. That's not to say either is bad or good, they just don't have particularly strong or unique design language/style.
I don't know if I can agree. The Sebenza 21 was the first to use the frame lock and set the standard for all to follow. One design is almost 30 years old while the other is a only a few years young.

The Shamwari is currently tops of my want list along w/BM anthem. If anyone is looking to part w/ one (sell or trade) please let me know.

was really hoping this wasnt the case. have wanted one for some time, but never manage to catch it in time (Ig drops, bladeforum sales etc)

The Sham makes me think of the bm bugout.

Not saying there isn’t similarities, but there seems to be quite a bit of parody among custom makers good & bad. In my observation, entirely unique blades are rare. Particular features that are popular w/ consumers are adopted en masse by suppliers/craftsmen (IE: steels, scale material, actions, locks...).

The Shamwaris front flipping action is the reason that it is top of my want list. The Sebenza on the other hand is not as appealing to me, personally. It has been around a long time = tons of them out there. CR blades have there own purchasing forum here. They are always available. Bull’s on the other hand, have a queue of purchasers lined up in minutes of listing. Unless you just happen to come upon the listing immediately after posted, odds against picking up one up second-hand here is slim.

Last edited:
Not saying there isn’t similarities, but there seems to be quite a bit of parody among custom makers good & bad. In my observation, entirely unique blades are rare. Particular features that are popular w/ consumers are adopted en masse by suppliers/craftsmen (IE: steels, scale material, actions, locks...).

The Shamwaris front flipping action is the reason that it is top of my want list. The Sebenza on the other hand is not as appealing to me, personally. It has been around a long time = tons of them out there. CR blades have there own purchasing forum here. They are always available. Bull’s on the other hand, have a queue of purchasers lined up in minutes of listing. Unless you just happen to come upon the listing immediately after posted, odds against picking up one up second-hand here is slim.
Try the original front flipper that garath copied his designs from.

Note this review is just one of the models and there are more on bearings and made of titanium etc. The N690 is custom heat treated so its better than mass production stuff but nothing as good as m390 which he offers these knives in too.

Trevor Burger customs.

Try the original front flipper that garath copied his designs from.

Note this review is just one of the models and there are more on bearings and made of titanium etc. The N690 is custom heat treated so its better than mass production stuff but nothing as good as m390 which he offers these knives in too.

Trevor Burger customs.

I recently acquired an EXK with a sheepsfoot stonewashed blade. It's as well built as my Shiros or CRK. Now I want an LEXK drop point.

I'm looking forward to WE Knives dropping a Shamwari variant soon. I still haven't confirmed its blade length though. Hoping for 85mm to 90mm.

I recently acquired an EXK with a sheepsfoot stonewashed blade. It's as well built as my Shiros or CRK. Now I want an LEXK drop point.

I'm looking forward to WE Knives dropping a Shamwari variant soon. I still haven't confirmed its blade length though. Hoping for 85mm to 90mm.
I believe those WE made Shamwaris are not under the WE brand, but made for Gareth and will be distributed by him. I’m guessing there’ll only be one batch made, if it follows the trend of OEM’s making knives for other makers/designers. So folks who want one will probably still have to keep their ear to the ground on Gareth’s instagram.

“Bob Loveless didn’t invent the drop point but he sure made it popular.” —- AG Russell

A lot of makers use it because it works well as a utility blade, depending on how much belly is put on it.

I believe those WE made Shamwaris are not under the WE brand, but made for Gareth and will be distributed by him. I’m guessing there’ll only be one batch made, if it follows the trend of OEM’s making knives for other makers/designers. So folks who want one will probably still have to keep their ear to the ground on Gareth’s instagram.

How many do you estimate in a batch?

Judging from the Massdrop Laconico Keen production run Bull could probably move 1000 pieces in a couple of days.

On Instagram Bull said they’ll be ready early April. Chinese New Year stops everything. It’s like August in Europe.

Last edited:
His IG/website drop fiasco today suggests he could have sold maybe 1500 in an hour if he had the IT side done right.

Yesterday was complete and utter bullshit. I had one I my cart and was never able to checkout. Meanwhile others got too. I decided to keep my money with in the USA and got on the valence knives nocturne preorder.

Back