Resinol 90C Stabilizing update

Hey Fitz,

I'm not here to sell my "wares" Fitz, as a matter of fact I loose money on this system. I was trying to help out others with a thread that has been here for years with no solution. If you don;t like what I've posted here then that is your problem.

What is uncalled for is some jerk who has nothing to do but wander around and complain and ask questions a moron could answer.

Let me see.....I'm going to hook my compressor up to this glass jar and see how much pressure it can take.

I'm not here to please you or anyone else so maybe you should take your comments somewhere else.

--Jarrett

I find your claims humorous, to say the least. You post links to purchase and prices, and yet claim you are not selling. Rather contradictory, I would say.

We'll let the Management decide, and if they find your actions acceptable, then I'll say no more.

Ironwood knives,

If you can not post with respect in here, I do not think this is the place for you.

Please stop and think. I do not see other makers treating others the way your are doing.

Laugh.....I'd like you to tell me where I claim "I'm not selling", I've never claimed that ever Fitz. It seems you are another person who has nothing better to do than sit at your computer and comment on other peoples work....as I recall that was exactly what your first response to my original post was also right? Didn't you also say it might "explode!"?

Listen, I am a doer, not a talker. I don't need to setup committee to certify a glass jar and how much pressure it can take to solve a basic problem, and I saw where there was a need, indeed I was asked for more information by you and others which I was kind enough to take time out of my day to post here for you and the others who have been emailing me and who have posted here looking for help and answers. So I saw a need and I filled it. And what do I get from you? "I'm gonna go tell the government and the forum police on you because you are mean and yeah I asked for more information but you put a link to how to buy it here! How dare you!"

What I said was "I am loosing money" as I am selling it at cost and not charging for my effort or work and instead of a "thank you for answering my questions and for helping out with a simple solution", you can't wait to jump up and run to complain when I get irritated from some guy who sounded like a jerk to me.

I believe I have treated everyone fairly and gone out of my way to try to make the information as formative and as instructional as possible and indeed another member posted in this very thread that this was the best information he had ever read on the subject. I then get some guy who apparently can't figure out how much is too much pressure for a glass jar (a guy you claim is an expert at this and has been doing it for years...then why is he here reading this thread, and asking me, a novice questions, if he is such an expert?) and all he has to contribute to the whole 2 years worth of threads here is "be very careful what you do" after basically insulting me out of the side of his mouth, and I'm not supposed to get pissed?!? Give me a break man, I am a human and have feelings like the next guy and I can and do, get ticked off just like the next guy would have in my shoes, with his semi-derogatory comments.

I truly do not care about the links, I will edit the all out as a matter of fact right now. IF I had wanted to "Sell my Wares" and that was the only reason I posted then I sure would not have looked for a even cheaper solution than my original one and I would have posted it in the "for sale" forum. That was not my intention at all, my original intention was just to inform and hopefully help people that both Resinol and a simple inexpensive solution for impregnating wood with it was being made available to whomever was interested. If I've helped one person even, by enabling them to cheaply and effectively stabilize their own wood, then I've accomplished what I had set out to do.

--Jarrett

I find your claims humorous, to say the least. You post links to purchase and prices, and yet claim you are not selling. Rather contradictory, I would say.

We'll let the Management decide, and if they find your actions acceptable, then I'll say no more.

Last edited:
There you go Fitz,

I've edited out all references to selling the system or where to buy it. Let me know if I missed any but I think I only left in the documentation links and links to my blog which has a lot of helpful info.

--Jarrett

Last edited:
What?!?

Please be specific as if you happen to read through the whole thread I have been nothing BUT ACCOMIDATING and resent you stating otherwise.

--Jarrett

Ironwood knives,

If you can not post with respect in here, I do not think this is the place for you.

Please stop and think. I do not see other makers treating others the way your are doing.

I have tried to be more than friendly in my responses to a LOT of requests being made of me and my time.....

Ironwood knives,

Your attitude sticks out like a sore thumb around here.

That is a fact.

I have tried to be more than friendly in my responses to a LOT of requests being made of me and my time.....

Noble or not in Your motives is up to You Jarrett. Your actions to others in this forum is up to me.

That was very immature and uncalled for to start calling folks an asshole. Paid member or not, another outburst at another member like that.....
You can just leave.

.... It seems you are another person who has nothing better to do than sit at your computer and comment on other peoples work....as I recall that was exactly what your first response to my original post was also right? Didn't you also say it might "explode!"?....

Yes, I said that. I have 30+ years expertise at the lab bench to back up my concerns, which are entirely valid. I was polite in asking whether you knew the vacuum flask's pressure tolerances. My subsequent post about shielding was to warn people of potential safety hazards. I am unapologetic about being concerned for those less informed on the issue. It is one of the purposes of a public forum.

As for "having nothing better to do than sit at my computer," you are correct about today. I will disregard the implied insult, as I would not expect you to be aware of my health issues. Tomorrow may be different; I would enjoy a day in the shop. They are increasingly rare.

Last edited:
I heard I can get free money in this thread so I wanted to stop by and place my name on the free money list. Mike, can you let me know when my cash will be available, you know I'm bad about keeping up with these threads.

No more insults period...people cant we all be civil, we share a common interest. the love of pointy things. Mr. Ironwood one more insult and your banned. Everyone take a deep breath, I mean really are we talking about national security here? Port security? Iran getting Nukes? Thats worth getting riled about ....Respect is the key word here gentlebeings..Im asking nice..

Yes, I said that. I have 30+ years expertise at the lab bench to back up my concerns, which are entirely valid. I was polite in asking whether you knew the vacuum flask's pressure tolerances. My subsequent post about shielding was to warn people of potential safety hazards. I am unapologetic about being concerned for those less informed on the issue. It is one of the purposes of a public forum.

As for "having nothing better to do than sit at my computer," you are correct about today. I will disregard the implied insult, as I would not expect you to be aware of my health issues. Tomorrow may be different; I would enjoy a day in the shop. They are increasingly rare.

WELL FITZO , IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR MEDS, THEn PACK UP THE PILLS AND RELAX IN MY SHOP ON THE PADDED CHAIR OR DAVENPORT WHILE TENDING THE COFFEE POT AND THROWING A PIECE OF WOOD IN THE BURNER.
And i'll pick your brain while your watching me .
vern,<Grin>

WELL FITZO , IF YOU NEED SOMEONE TO MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR MEDS, THEn PACK UP THE PILLS AND RELAX IN MY SHOP ON THE PADDED CHAIR OR DAVENPORT WHILE TENDING THE COFFEE POT AND THROWING A PIECE OF WOOD IN THE BURNER.
And i'll pick your brain while your watching me .
vern,<Grin>

Thanks for the invite, Vern! I don't leave the house very often anymore, though, and that's mostly to see doctors. If I get out, though, I'll keep Ottumwa on the list of places to visit! I like that area; got a Harley shirt somewhere around here that I picked up in your town.

I'm no chemist and have been doing home stabilizing for about 8-10 years with fair results. This thread and the comments herein are far and away the best I have ever read for anything concerning knifemakers.
Ken.

As one who has just started setting up a wood stabilising contraption I fully agree with you, I sure hope this thread gets back on track soon .
Richard

If you need help with making your own Dry Vacuum/Pressure Impregnation System feel free to read the Instruction and Troubleshooting manual I put together for our Customers at Ironwood Knives.

Last edited:
Ironwood Knives is Proud to Announce (After a Year of Research & Development) its Brand New, Patent Pending, System for stabilizing Wood. The Ironwood Knives "Dry Vacuum/Pressure - Wood Stabilization & Impregnation System"

Some key points about the system are:

• No moving parts (other than valves) so there is nothing to break or have to replace
  • Over 1 year in Research & Development was given to the system to ensure we met all the initial requirements and to make sure we were able to keep the cost affordable to the small business owner
  • No mechanical, electric pump to go bad on you or to have to mess with or worry about
  • Will reach 29.7" Vacuum and uses your Air compressor (which you must have) to achieve vacuum and pressure both
  • Utilizes the best known system for impregnation in the world which, is called "DVP" and stands for "Dry Vacuum/Pressure" and was developed by Henkel for impregnating and sealing Steel Parts.
  • Fully portable
  • Can handle up to 4 different colored dyes with just the flip of a valve and more can be added by ordering additional accessories which are available
  • You can Stabilize large quantities of wood within minutes and a typical full batch can be stabilized in less than 30 minutes, including the heat cure time
  • The chamber holds 5 Gallons of stabilizer and wood
  • It is a completely closed and automated system, all you need to do is turn a few valves
  • Best of all, it is less than $1000, far less and is faster, easier, and has a larger chamber than you could get spending $10,000 on a commercial industrial vacuum chamber system that was never made for Wood Stabilization, our system was strictly designed just for that purpose only

The System Includes the Following:

• 5 Gallon Pressure Chamber with combination 30"Vacuum/150psi Gauge
  • Venturi Style Vacuum Pump capable of pulling 29.7" Vacuum (utilizes your air compressor, must generate minimum of 4.0 CFM @ 60PSI) **No moving parts to break or wear out
  • All Hoses, Valves & Adapters which make the system almost 100% Automated
  • Can handle up to 4 different colored dyes at the same time, to change colors, all it takes, is the turn of a valve
  • Includes moisture filter, regulator and pressure flow gauge between compressor and system to keep water out, monitor the air flow and adds extra control to the system
  • Completely Assembled, attach the connectors to your compressor and the hoses to your Stabilizer and your ready to begin. It takes 5 minutes to connect everything and get up and running
  • Complete Instructions and Troubleshooting guide as well as email and phone support

Comparable professional vacuum chamber systems with a cubic foot equal to our system, with electric motorized pump which can fail, would cost in the range of between $4,000 and $12,000.00 and we have customers using Resinol 90C with brand name commercial vacuum chambers that cost that much and more who have gone ahead and purchased our system for additional capacity at a fraction of the cost. We therefore took it upon ourselves to put together the first small system which is perfect for knife makers who wish to occasionally stabilize their handle material themselves using the same techniques and product the professional stabilization service companies use but at a fraction of the cost. Most commercial service companies charge between $8.50 - $15 per pound plus shipping costs and they make you sign a waiver in case they ruin your wood for you as there is no way they could afford to be liable for all the wood they handle. So sometimes you may get a decent batch and sometimes it may be ruined, it is a crap-shoot or Russian roulette. Having one of our systems not only is it not a crap shoot, there is no packaging, shipping, or waiting and worrying if it will be something you can use or not when it is returned to you. You have full control over quality and the return on investment or ROI is pretty amazing.

The Ironwood Knives Large DVP System *Patent Pending* utilizes your existing air compressor (You must have an Air Compressor for this system to work properly that can run at 4.0 CFM @ 60 PSI) to pull the 29.7"Hg vacuum and then add up to 80psi of pressure to the large chamber to ultimately produce the same if not better professional grade stabilized wood you will pay WSSI and others at $12 - 18$ lb , plush shipping both ways.

You can find out more at our blog which has documentation and a lot more information on this subject as well as others http://www.ironwoodknives.com/blogger.html

**OUR SYSTEMS REQUIRE A STABILIZATION PRODUCT (Such as Resinol 90C) IN ORDER TO WORK** Please Inquire for information on how to obtain Henkel Resinol Products (which, we highly recommend and is the ONLY product tested and proven to work in our systems) and we will be glad to assist you in obtaining it. You may contact us at sales@ironwoodknives.com

Last edited:
i have heard that resinol is made of diffrent petrolium distilate and is hard to keep vac pressure on it because it fumes it puts pressure on the vessel and cancels out the vacume

#1 welder - Your information is not accurate. I no longer use Resinol 90 but it is not a petroleum distilate and a vacumn has no effect on it's stability.

Back