REX 45 Burnt Orange Paramilitary 2 Sprint Run

Can someone who has both rex45 and M4 paras give some comparative impressions. The performance between these 2 steels should be very similar, not sure why rex 45s are flying out so fast, the scale color is very cool, is that the main reason?

BBB posted a comparison thread on the Spyderco forum but it’s down right now. If I remember I’ll post a link once it’s back up.

IMG_3164.jpg

Just got the first Para3 order. The edge on these is amazing. This blade has not been touched up, and still has the factory oil on it, yet, it splits this very fine, and dried hair easily. This one is going to be my keeper.

Can someone who has both rex45 and M4 paras give some comparative impressions. The performance between these 2 steels should be very similar, not sure why rex 45s are flying out so fast, the scale color is very cool, is that the main reason?

It's a new steel in production knives. That's one big reason.

I obviously can't speak of long term use when it comes to REX-45, but I can say it sharpens up quicker than M4. Same type of "grippy" edge. (AKA screaming sharp!)

I know what time a certain retailer posts new Spyderco Knives and deliberately didn’t look this afternoon. While I do collect Para 3’s, I don’t as much as Paramilitary 2’s if that makes any sense. I already have the Rex45 PM2 so there’s that, too. Not buying this Para 3 also allowed me to justify buying an F/1.2 35mm lens today. :D

People are buying the Rex45 PM2 and Para 3’s for $200 on Facebook and not batting an eye. It’s sort of depressing but flippers exist because some people have more $$$ than sense, I guess. I could be wrong, but the Rex45 sprints we’ve seen so far are just the initial shipments? Like, I’m fairly certain that every retailer will have stacks of these things by the end of the month but people are grabbing these up like Spyderco only made 25 of them or something.

I do plan on snagging a Para 3 in Rex45 but I’m guessing it’ll be a few weeks until they’re reliably in stock.

Being a Sprint only 1200 piece runs usually so not going to be stacks and preorders need to be filled . But they seems to be coming out in spurts in PM2 and Para 3 models and selling out in minutes so don't procrastinate if your thinking about purchasing one .

Being a Sprint only 1200 piece runs usually so not going to be stacks and preorders need to be filled . But they seems to be coming out in spurts in PM2 and Para 3 models and selling out in minutes so don't procrastinate if your thinking about purchasing one .
Definitely good advice! When a sprint run is hot you're better off buying as soon as you find one is stock. Waiting will likely lead to disappointment if it's something you really want. You might get lucky but I certainly wouldn't bank on that!

Yeah, looks like some people are buying multiples and reselling, fine by me, explains some of the shortages. I was just curious how different from M4 version it is, seems like it should be pretty similar in performance.

UDvuCuU.jpg

Color Comparison with the CS exclusive.

Upon study, I see that Spyderco has substantially improved the shape of the blade. The grind of this sprint run and the 52100 sprint is at different angle. Look at the picture above. If you look at the lettering, you see that all the older models (example on the left) has the grind at an angle to the letters, but the new ones have the grind parallel to the letters. I measured the blade thickness at the bottom of the Spydie hole, and the new grind is significantly thinner, AND, the blade is also slightly longer!!!! Fantastic improvements that we have been asking for for a long time! Thank you Spyderco!

CQI Continuous Quality Improvement at work.

Is the 1200 number reliable for sprint runs, especially popular ones? Could Spyderco make more? I know sprint exclusives for a particular seller may be so limited, but I didn’t think that the numbers produced for every seller could be so limited. I knew I wasn’t gonna score a pm2 anyway so I didn’t even try, gonna see what happens when the Millie comes out, if I haven’t missed that one too.
One factor making this knife pretty unique was the hardness achieved, and on a steel less likely to come out with issues(like maxamet).

Yonose: What is the hardness level actually achieved. I know what RC the factory says is possible, but not what it was actually issued with. Could you post the link?

Yonose: What is the hardness level actually achieved. I know what RC the factory says is possible, but not what it was actually issued with. Could you post the link?

I couldn’t find any discussion by anyone at Spyderco saying what hardness they achieved, as far back as I looked. I really hope someone remembers if there was a definitive answer to this question, or if it was just speculation on the part of us fans. So far all I found was a member of the Spyderco forum stating that Sal said the average hardness of the rex45 knives was 66.5. That was on page 8 of the rex45 thread.

Last edited:
66.5 RC would be really fantastic. My best Hitachi HAP 40 kitchen knives are at 65 RC. No wonder this sprint may turn out to be one of the very best performers ever!

Re: CPM REX 45 | Edge Performance
Postby Deadboxhero » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:24 am

A note on the hardness,
@frankie_blades on Instagram who does amazing custom work on Spydercos did a hardness test with his Ames portable Rockwell tester and got 64 HRC he didn't do mutiple tests to average but he did calibrate his tester with the testing block before testing. For comparison he got 61.5 HRC on Spydercos M4.

I'd be curious to see averaging with more tests on the blade but he has given us an excellent data point.

Check out his custom work on Instagram, very cool. The copperwash delicas look rad

https://i.imgur.com/Wo6MVLJ.png

https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/vi...49&p=1254558&hilit=portable+hardness#p1254558

Back