1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

REX 45 Burnt Orange Paramilitary 2 Sprint Run

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by bin31z, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Chariotz4

Chariotz4 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Thanks to your heads I up, I think I may have gotten the last PM2! Both the Para 3 and PM2 are showing up as out of stock at KW now.

2. Raymond3

Raymond3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Bento Box Shop is selling this for $299.95! (plus other fees are often inlcuded extra there, like shipping, tax etc.)

[​IMG]
    C81GPBORE2 Spyderco Plain Edge CPM-REX 45 Burnt Orange G-10 Paramilitary 2
    (This new release is in stock & ready to ship!) $299.95

Arnikusz likes this.
  3. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish

Mar 22, 2018
    GP Knives has the Rex45 Para 3 in stock. I just paid $139 for one. I wanted to buy one from DLT Trading since I have a credit with them but since people are losing their minds over these... It’s not difficult to find one in stock without paying a flipper $50 or selling your soul to BB. :D

4. Raymond3

Jan 18, 2006
    That sure didn’t last long. These are going to be all gone soon.

5. Sharp Guy

Sharp Guy Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Honestly, I don't see why you think Spyderco has "substantially" improved the blade shape. The only real difference I'm seeing is they went to the straight plunge grind vs. the angled plunge grind. They started using the straight plunge grind awhile ago. See the pic below. The DLC and Cruwear models are angled but the M390 and Rex 45 are straight. Personally, I don't see that as an improvement. I actually prefer the aesthetics of the older angled grind.

As far as the grind thickness goes, I just rechecked the spine thickness (above the hole and in front of the plunge grind) on all mine. The Rex appears to be about .138" where the others are about .140". A little less but not real significant IMO. Then I measured the thickness below the hole (just off the plunge grind) and I got .179"-.180" on all of them. As far as behind the edge thickness. I've recently changed how I measure BTE. I was previously using a micrometer and trying to measure as close to the shoulder as possible. I've now realized it's hard to get right on the shoulder consistently, even under magnification. I'm now using the very end of my dial calipers under magnification and I think I'm getting more accurate readings. I can see and feel that I'm right on the shoulder. On all 4 of my PM2's I'm now getting .019" BTE.

I know I posted the other day that the grind on the Rex was thinner but I think that was partly due to my inconsistent measuring and the fact that someone else posted that they thought theirs was ground thinner. I think I got excited by the idea of the Rex being ground thinner than others and let that sway me. It might be ground a little thinner but not as much as I originally thought.

As far as the blade on the Rex being slightly longer, I'm not seeing it. I took a metal ruler and measure all mine from the handle to the tip and they're all about 3 7/16". No real difference that I can see.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the novel! Lol

Filoso, Murphjd25 and P2P like this.
  6. Raymond3

Jan 18, 2006
    I compared a PM2 S110v and about 8 other PM2s with a new PM2 Rex 45. The length of my particular Rex 45 was only a few thousandths longer than all of the others except for a new 52100 which was the same length, and had the same new grind. The blade thickness was noticeably thinner, right to the thickness right behind the cutting bevel. So, since I am only comparing about two new items and 8 older ones, and since precision measuring shows that all of them vary slightly, this is not enough data to come to any conclusions for the whole model.

The main reason that I called the attention of our community to the fact generally that the grind was different, and that for my specimens at least, the width had changed, was that it appears that there has been a conscious effort by Spyderco to update and improve. In addition, I hoped that others would make observations about their specimens to see what they may have noticed. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

7. Raymond3

Jan 18, 2006
    Para 3 in at Blade HQ

8. amateur blacksmith

amateur blacksmith

May 19, 2018
    Gone

9. Raymond3

Jan 18, 2006
    out at Blade HQ

10. BTSMITH

BTSMITH

Jun 7, 2009
    PM2 and Para 3 in at knives plus!!!

11. Alchemy1

Alchemy1 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Never even saw them.

12. cashville

cashville Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 12, 2017
    GPKnives
    PM2

13. BTSMITH

BTSMITH

Jun 7, 2009
    Yeah, I finally snagged a Para 3 and after I got confirmation it was already out!

My first Spyderco sprint!

14. Raymond3

Jan 18, 2006
    I've been on all morning refreshing, and still missed them.

15. Raymond3

Jan 18, 2006
    gone

DARN, been there twice this morning and still missed this one.

16. Alberta Hunter

Alberta Hunter

Apr 29, 2018
    Hopefully there are not too many flippers buying up as many as they can so they can sell for profit on the
    secondary market or attempt to flip for long-gone expensive Sprints like 204P etc. It will be nice if we can
    all get a shot at buying these since they are limited in numbers.

17. husq2100

husq2100

Mar 3, 2013
    I thought you already had a PM2 rex 45 for sale in the exchange???

18. 4thpoint

4thpoint

Sep 28, 2015
    And the PM3's:(

19. Raymond3

Jan 18, 2006
    Those of us who have one know first hand how really wonderful these knives are. I hope that everyone who wants one is able to get one by purchase or trade. This is one sprint run that I spent much more time trying to get, and have been fairly lucky with, but there have been lots of limited runs that I wanted that I was never able to get one, before or after release. This time, i decided to work longer and harder.

So, if you were one of those, who got one or more PM2 in 204p, M390, Maxamet or a River's Edge Para3 would you like to swap straight across with me?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  20. bladesrckool

bladesrckool

Jan 25, 2017
    PM2 in stock BladeHQ
    Edit: OOS

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018