REX 45 Burnt Orange Paramilitary 2 Sprint Run

Bento Box Shop is selling this for $299.95! (plus other fees are often inlcuded extra there, like shipping, tax etc.)

C81GPBORE2 Spyderco Plain Edge CPM-REX 45 Burnt Orange G-10 Paramilitary 2
(This new release is in stock & ready to ship!) $299.95

GP Knives has the Rex45 Para 3 in stock. I just paid $139 for one. I wanted to buy one from DLT Trading since I have a credit with them but since people are losing their minds over these... It’s not difficult to find one in stock without paying a flipper $50 or selling your soul to BB. :D

Upon study, I see that Spyderco has substantially improved the shape of the blade. The grind of this sprint run and the 52100 sprint is at different angle. Look at the picture above. If you look at the lettering, you see that all the older models (example on the left) has the grind at an angle to the letters, but the new ones have the grind parallel to the letters. I measured the blade thickness at the bottom of the Spydie hole, and the new grind is significantly thinner, AND, the blade is also slightly longer!!!! Fantastic improvements that we have been asking for for a long time! Thank you Spyderco!

CQI Continuous Quality Improvement at work.
Honestly, I don't see why you think Spyderco has "substantially" improved the blade shape. The only real difference I'm seeing is they went to the straight plunge grind vs. the angled plunge grind. They started using the straight plunge grind awhile ago. See the pic below. The DLC and Cruwear models are angled but the M390 and Rex 45 are straight. Personally, I don't see that as an improvement. I actually prefer the aesthetics of the older angled grind.

As far as the grind thickness goes, I just rechecked the spine thickness (above the hole and in front of the plunge grind) on all mine. The Rex appears to be about .138" where the others are about .140". A little less but not real significant IMO. Then I measured the thickness below the hole (just off the plunge grind) and I got .179"-.180" on all of them. As far as behind the edge thickness. I've recently changed how I measure BTE. I was previously using a micrometer and trying to measure as close to the shoulder as possible. I've now realized it's hard to get right on the shoulder consistently, even under magnification. I'm now using the very end of my dial calipers under magnification and I think I'm getting more accurate readings. I can see and feel that I'm right on the shoulder. On all 4 of my PM2's I'm now getting .019" BTE.

I know I posted the other day that the grind on the Rex was thinner but I think that was partly due to my inconsistent measuring and the fact that someone else posted that they thought theirs was ground thinner. I think I got excited by the idea of the Rex being ground thinner than others and let that sway me. It might be ground a little thinner but not as much as I originally thought.

As far as the blade on the Rex being slightly longer, I'm not seeing it. I took a metal ruler and measure all mine from the handle to the tip and they're all about 3 7/16". No real difference that I can see.

1q6Yl4Y.jpg

Sorry for the novel! Lol

I compared a PM2 S110v and about 8 other PM2s with a new PM2 Rex 45. The length of my particular Rex 45 was only a few thousandths longer than all of the others except for a new 52100 which was the same length, and had the same new grind. The blade thickness was noticeably thinner, right to the thickness right behind the cutting bevel. So, since I am only comparing about two new items and 8 older ones, and since precision measuring shows that all of them vary slightly, this is not enough data to come to any conclusions for the whole model.

The main reason that I called the attention of our community to the fact generally that the grind was different, and that for my specimens at least, the width had changed, was that it appears that there has been a conscious effort by Spyderco to update and improve. In addition, I hoped that others would make observations about their specimens to see what they may have noticed. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Those of us who have one know first hand how really wonderful these knives are. I hope that everyone who wants one is able to get one by purchase or trade. This is one sprint run that I spent much more time trying to get, and have been fairly lucky with, but there have been lots of limited runs that I wanted that I was never able to get one, before or after release. This time, i decided to work longer and harder.

So, if you were one of those, who got one or more PM2 in 204p, M390, Maxamet or a River's Edge Para3 would you like to swap straight across with me?

Last edited:
Back