Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

Here's one that snuck in. It's not labeled as a Reserve, but obviously is. I wish they would use wood. This pattern screams for some nice wood grain. I would even be OK with the brown burlap micarta or canvas micarta they have recently used. I'm kind of tired of the cheap looking "denim" micarta. 🤷‍♂️

ROUGH RYDER DENIM MICARTA LOCKSTOCK​

rr012_web1.jpg

That, unlike some of the others, is a great looking knife - a Gunstock without making it weird.

The Denim Micarta Lockstock arrived today. No complaints at all about this one. It's solidly built with great attention to detail. Perfect design. This is one of the best Reserves so far.

My RRR012 got here today, and I am impressed. Everything is clean and crisp. Nice half stop. RRR will keep getting my money, as it looks like they have a few more interesting designs on the way as well.

TO0t9c1.jpg

Vp0ltnZ.jpg

vV6SsWJ.jpg
Looks like a good quality knife.

I've been seeing half stops on lock back knives a lot lately but it seems like a new trend to me. Not something that I'm used to as I own and have owned many lock back knives and none of them ever had a half stop. What's your opinion on the half stop? Does it feel odd on a lock back? Serious question as I've never owned one and would like your feedback if you don't mind.

I've been seeing half stops on lock back knives a lot lately but it seems like a new trend to me. Not something that I'm used to as I own and have owned many lock back knives and none of them ever had a half stop. What's your opinion on the half stop? Does it feel odd on a lock back? Serious question as I've never owned one and would like your feedback if you don't mind.
It was a surprise to see it there, but I have found it kind of handy. Closing a lockback one-handed usually means I push the lock in and press the blade against my leg or body to push it back in the handle. Feeling it snap into the half stop position lets be bring the knife back up, and then close it one-handed with the knife more in sight. Hope that makes sense.

It feels kind of weird. Usually with a slip joint, there is a strong pull leading into and out of the half stop, but here it kind of clicks in looser. It doesn't feel as definite as a regular half stop. First time, I wasn't expecting it, and I almost cut myself. I'll have to get used to it. I'm not sure it's entirely necessary, but it's a feature I guess. I probably don't care one way or the other.

Even the weird Reserves are interesting and unique. I like the experimentation. This one really works well.

It was a surprise to see it there, but I have found it kind of handy. Closing a lockback one-handed usually means I push the lock in and press the blade against my leg or body to push it back in the handle. Feeling it snap into the half stop position lets be bring the knife back up, and then close it one-handed with the knife more in sight. Hope that makes sense.

It feels kind of weird. Usually with a slip joint, there is a strong pull leading into and out of the half stop, but here it kind of clicks in looser. It doesn't feel as definite as a regular half stop. First time, I wasn't expecting it, and I almost cut myself. I'll have to get used to it. I'm not sure it's entirely necessary, but it's a feature I guess. I probably don't care one way or the other.

Even the weird Reserves are interesting and unique. I like the experimentation. This one really works well.
Thanks for the feedback guys.:thumbsup:

I just got a Gerber US1 which is a lockback with a half stop. The first lockback I have with a half stop. Its a fairly weak half stop so its easy to blow through it when opening. Just barely noticeable. I find it awkward when closing. It kind of hangs up and interrupts a smooth closure. Not a big deal, but I rather not have a it on a lockback.

Last edited:
Clasp knife looks good. 👍

I'll take a hard pass on the Hippo toe.
I don't care much for pocket cleavers.
I'm sorry, but they seem rather impractical to me. You'll whack your knuckles if you try to use it like a cleaver, and the blade is a wee bit on the small side for cleaving a hank of meat or decapitating a fish (except maybe a Sardine, Anchovy, minnow, or a small/medium aquarium fish) in one hit.
Plus it only has the one blade.

I would really like to see a RRR of similar size to an Opinel 8 with a primary spear point blade and a second pen knife.

Also, same size, with a bottle opener and corkscrew. That 3 part Lionsteel is the right idea but about two cm too short and the blade is not much good for spreading peanut butter.

I just got both of these in. I like both of them. The great big swashbuckler blade on the clasper is a hell of a lot of fun. And the cleaver on the hippo toe is more usable than a standard sunfish blade. You can put the heel of your hand across the knife back and blade and securely chop through tough stuff like nuts in a shell. Both of these are VERY study knives that would stand up to some hard use. They aren't every day pocket knives. They're special purpose.

That brass elephant is nice, but the cute slogan on the blade turns me off. I'm not going to slice my steak or sandwich with something that says that on it.

I gotta say, the Hippo Toe is a really well made knife. It opens/closes smoothly and there is nothing really funky about it. Also, it is slightly thinner than the GEC Toenail Clipper.

NONZDxI.jpg
Well, I’ll be danged.

Thanks for that pic!

My Hippo Toe arrived today and I have to say that I'm impressed. The walk and talk are really dialed in nicely. It's an absolute pleasure to open and close. Reminds me of the walk and talk on my Lion Steel Bolus Otnat which I have always considered to be superb.

There's a striker pin to prevent blade rap which explains why the kick doesn't sit lower than the sharpened edge. The striker pin nestles into that little cut out that also serves as a sharpening choil and it keeps the blade from bouncing into the back spring when letting it snap closed under its own force. Very nice.
IMG_6315.JPGIMG_6316.JPGIMG_6317.JPG

There won't be any exposed tip nonsense going on here. Not for a very long time.
IMG_6318.JPG

I picked up a RRR012 as well and I have to say, I think it is probably my favorite of the Reserves so far - well balanced and clean design. It is very well done.

I received my RRR Clasper and it has a small chip of steel out of the spine and tool marks on the Micarta. Also, it came wrapped in a dirty cleaning cloth (not the first time!). I called SMKW customer service and was told that they will issue a refund if I mail it back to them on my dime. I will be reimbursed for shipping if they judge it to be defective. If they decide it to be a cosmetic issue (which it is), I am stuck with the shipping costs. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with their new return policies.

Back