Rough Ryder Reserve: New Premium Rough Ryder Line

John, that’s too bad. Mine was at first as well but after a good flush with CLP it is nice and snappy opening and closing.
Don’t give up hope, my friend, I’ve had miracles happen with flushed and exercised joints.
With a ton of flushing and fidgeting, it has become tolerable. So, I'm happy again. :)
I also admit that I'm pickier than most people about the action of the blades... I like a really good 'snap'.

I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed with the new RRR Barlow.
It's a solid pocket knife, with good F&F, and a very good blade steel.
Yes, I wish the shield wasn't there, and that they'd left out the lanyard hole, and I wish the 'snap' was stronger... but it's still a good knife.

I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed with the new RRR Barlow.
It's a solid pocket knife, with good F&F, and a very good blade steel.
Yes, I wish the shield wasn't there, and that they'd left out the lanyard hole, and I wish the 'snap' was stronger... but it's still a good knife.
and you didn't have to scramble to get it! That's a bargain.

I do not have that many knives in D2 steel but I do have some older Queen Cutlery ones in that steel.

So, I have noticed that the RRR I have tends to darken, develop black surface spots significantly more easier than the Queen.
I do cut lemons, onions and so on with both but I also wash the blades very soon after use, for both. Despite D2 not being "properly" stainless the Queen D2 has to be left with something very acidic for a long time before any discoloration occurs. The RRR can darken just by looking at a lemon :) .

The Queen blade is more polished, so this may be a factor too, as well as the different D2 (I assume) manufacturer.

This does not affect the actual function of the RRR and I am not talking about any serious pitting .

It sure took considerable effort to put this patina on mine, which is consistent with how D2 acts in my experience.

RHPmMKSh.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a true D2 steel.
But I will say that mine was super sharp out of the box... I wish my GEC knives came that sharp.

I'm not sure what the specs are for what RRR might consider "D2", but even for domestic stuff the variability of chromium in "D2" is pretty significant, so I wouldn't be surprised if some tarnished faster than others.

Sorry, slight off topic, but I can't find the RR and related thread. :confused:

Has anyone tried the RR black micarta Cattleman? Even in the online mountain picks it looks like the nail nick for the main blade is buried behind the pen blade. Had the "buried nail nick" problem with several RRs. I like the looks, size, etc. of the knife but am tired of stuffing wads of paper under the kick to be able to access a blade. (Not worth the hassle to return items).
Thanks.

Sorry, slight off topic, but I can't find the RR and related thread. :confused:

Thanks, no not yet. Just added the bead. Once track season is over and school is out things will hopefully slow down around here and then I’m going to start tinkering with it.

Queen D2 was heat treated by Peters, well known for quality work. Queen D2 was pretty hard, many manufacturers, such as Ontario, keep it softer.

Has anyone had hands on the new RRR016 yet, the small Copperhead? It looks very promising and a good edc sized pocket knife.

Has anyone had hands on the new RRR016 yet, the small Copperhead? It looks very promising and a good edc sized pocket knife.
I'd love to read how it is once it arrives.

It looks like a great, strong little knife but I don't see how it is a Copperhead, at least compared to Case's.

Please tell us how it is! 😃

Back