S!K 4.7 Sample Blade Reviews

Ellie did you guys send one to nutnfancy ?
He makes some good reviews of gear and knives

No. We are still dealing with the consequences of his GSO-5.1 review years ago. We don't have the capability to handle that sort of publicity right now. These 4.7s are more just a fun way to bring up the new steel that we are super excited about. We like working with Black Scout Survival because over the years Guy has known Jack, he has become a good friend who he respects. There are a few other well known reviewers who will be getting a Pre-Production Sample based on their previous GSO reviews, but nothing quite that large in scope.

I absolutely agree. I know when the time comes I'll be anxious as all get out for my 2.7 and 10, but the 4.7 (and after seeing those comparison pics, the 4.1) could quite possibly THE knife for me. The anticipation is at an all time high and tomorrow it will be just a little bit higher :)

Be careful what you wish for, my friend! There may very well come a day when you'll be sick of seeing my overly documented 4.7 :D

Silver, we are thinking alike my friend. I've been using my 4.1 in M390 and I posted in the other thread about this new 4.7 coming out.

The 4.1 is just a tad too small and the 5 and 5.1 are too thick and large for my constant tasks in the field and around camp.

I'm thinking that the 4.7 will be THE knife for me as well. Sadly I didn't order one back in the day so I'll pay the premium on the secondary market when they start to show up.

Looking forward to the reveal on the steel too. I'm kind of a steel snob in that area. I like tried and true super steels or excellent carbons like the ESEE line, and I always lean to stainless since we have 80% humidity here year round.

Lots to think about.

Oh man! He labeled the vid "GSO 4.7"???

Come on, Jack, you're better than that!

I've been waiting for his review, I love his channel. He had a lot of good feedback and meaningful compliments. Way to go, Guy, on another great design and product!

Oh man! He labeled the vid "GSO 4.7"???

Come on, Jack, you're better than that!

I've been waiting for his review, I love his channel. He had a lot of good feedback and meaningful compliments. Way to go, Guy, on another great design and product!

That may have been Guy's fault. We are still figuring out the best way to list these since they finished up right before a transition period. We already have an abundance of those handles for them so we still need to sell them the same way as the SKs have been sold in the past. But with this new plan for the SK Series they won't really fit over there either. So they may end up in the GSO section, even though the new SK series won't be available for at least a few months.

That may have been Guy's fault. We are still figuring out the best way to list these since they finished up right before a transition period. We already have an abundance of those handles for them so we still need to sell them the same way as the SKs have been sold in the past. But with this new plan for the SK Series they won't really fit over there either. So they may end up in the GSO section, even though the new SK series won't be available for at least a few months.

Hey sis, feel free to tell me to quit being so nosey, but can you say what changes you have in mind with the SK Series? That post is news to me!

What consequences came from Nutnfancy? Just too much exposure too soon?

Silver, we are thinking alike my friend. I've been using my 4.1 in M390 and I posted in the other thread about this new 4.7 coming out.

The 4.1 is just a tad too small and the 5 and 5.1 are too thick and large for my constant tasks in the field and around camp.

I'm thinking that the 4.7 will be THE knife for me as well. Sadly I didn't order one back in the day so I'll pay the premium on the secondary market when they start to show up.

Looking forward to the reveal on the steel too. I'm kind of a steel snob in that area. I like tried and true super steels or excellent carbons like the ESEE line, and I always lean to stainless since we have 80% humidity here year round.

Lots to think about.

Great minds, my friend, great minds :D

There's definitely no shortage of things to look forward to these days.

Last edited:
Hey sis, feel free to tell me to quit being so nosey, but can you say what changes you have in mind with the SK Series? That post is news to me!

What consequences came from Nutnfancy? Just too much exposure too soon?

We will have more information on the new and improved SK Series as it gets closer to being a reality. I can say, some people are really going to like it. Here, I fixed the product page: http://surviveknives.com/gso-4-7-secret-steel/

I will update the link to the actual steel after we've had the big review so don't save it to your favorites just yet. Or at least be prepared to update.

His GSO-5.1 video was definitely too much exposure at a time when we were already behind on the demand/supply graph. He had just happened to see it on a visit to BladeHQ so we weren't really prepared for what followed.

We will have more information on the new and improved SK Series as it gets closer to being a reality. I can say, some people are really going to like it. Here, I fixed the product page: http://surviveknives.com/gso-4-7-secret-steel/

I will update the link to the actual steel after we've had the big review so don't save it to your favorites just yet. Or at least be prepared to update.

His GSO-5.1 video was definitely too much exposure at a time when we were already behind on the demand/supply graph. He had just happened to see it on a visit to BladeHQ so we weren't really prepared for what followed.

Thanks! Sounds like some exciting developments coming up!

A hint!!! definitely not 1095 or O1 or A2, and that makes me doubt even 52100....

Also, still working with mine, but have a shaving video to upload ;) This knife is a LOT easier to shave with vs the 5.1 :D

Awesome little review, TR :thumbup:

Not some of the common high carbon steels. But still 1% carbon correct? How easy is it to sharpen verses say, 01 and 3v? Do you know the Rockwell?

Last edited:
I wonder if the preproduction 4.7 will have the new heat treat with the mystery steel?

I'm still thinking Rex M2 or CPM-M4. The M2 is 1% carbon while the M4 is at 1.40.

Dream come true if it's M4.

I'd love it in M4 myself, but from tidbits I've heard M4 is a nightmare on belts and in my mind that wouldn't lower the cost vs. 3v.

I have a knife by Phil Wilson in M4 and he even commented in an email on its difficulty to grind. That alone makes me think what I've heard may be true. :)

Well, here's my line-up in testing so far:

P1050066.JPG

Featuring: CPM-3V, SR101, 1095, 12C27, 420HC, MYS!KTERY, S7, 1095CV, INFI, UHB-20C(?)

We know that the MYS!KTERY isn't stainless, but the LMFII and Strongarm are similar designs to the 4.7. LOTS more to come.

Back