S!K 4.7 Sample Blade Reviews

Here's the 4.7 against the RMD:

P1050087.JPG

...and now more excited to get my 4.7.

Thanks, Choral, looking forward to your comparison.

Man no kidding there. Really looking forward to these!

Chiral, if you get a chance could you snap a pic of the RMD and 4.7 with the handles themselves aligned please. Thanks man, they made a good choice getting one of those in your hands for review :thumbup:

Chiral, if you get a chance could you snap a pic of the RMD and 4.7 with the handles themselves aligned please. Thanks man, they made a good choice getting one of those in your hands for review :thumbup:

Like this?

P1050085.JPG

P1050086.JPG

P1050090.JPG

P1050091.JPG

For anyone with a Tops BOB

P1050082.JPG

P1050081.JPG

P1050083.JPG

P1050072.JPG

P1050075.JPG

P1050074.JPG

P1050076.JPG

Here against the BK-16 (fast becoming my favorite budget-blade this size)

P1050113.JPG

P1050114.JPG

P1050112.JPG

P1050109.JPG

SK-4.7 Balance:

P1050088.JPG

I find the difference in bevel widths among those knives pretty striking. The 4.7 is ground thinner than I expected.

Are there any more reviews coming in on the steel itself - how it performs, holds an edge, ease of sharpening, etc? I am really curious what others have found when using the mystery steel.

Very nice reviews!!

Last edited:
Junkyard's review is awesome :thumbup:

I'll comment over there later tonight when I have more time.

I'll be working on getting my review up tonight, bunch of video to edit... Here are some after-pics:

P1050143.JPG

P1050144.JPG

P1050145.JPG

P1050147.JPG

P1050148.JPG

P1050142.JPG

Yep, that blade's been beat. Looking forward to the review (and throwing video :D)

Popping in again. I've been slammed with my professional work of late, but I did manage to quick-edit a couple of vids with the SK-4.7 mystery steel. I'll get a write-up with lots of photos together eventually. The two videos are embedded below, but be warned that they are LONG with LOTS of "fast-forward" action to include as much as I could.

The first video includes shaving, cardboard, wood, and sheet-metal.
The second video includes sharpening at the start and throwing at the end, but it mostly features three other knives - a BK16, an RMD, and a Hog Muk. Hopefully the video will help elucidate how the SK-4.7 beats both of the first two. The SK-4.7 seems to be built of stronger steel than the BK-16 (better maintains edge-integrity against folding/rolling) and is a MUCH more efficient cutter than the RMD due to the superior geometry and smoother coating. I'd put the S!K steel on a level with SR101 if not above it (hard to really compare without matching geometry and edge-refinement), definitely above 1095CV, but not quite up to the level of INFI.

My apologies for the chaotic nature of the vids, as well as the length. Also, it was one of the first nice days here, so all the bikers were out on the highway that runs nearby.

Feel free to comment, and I'll try to get up a full thread like Junkyard's when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Popping in again. I've been slammed with my professional work of late, but I did manage to quick-edit a couple of vids with the SK-4.7 mystery steel. I'll get a write-up with lots of photos together eventually. The two videos are embedded below, but be warned that they are LONG with LOTS of "fast-forward" action to include as much as I could.

The first video includes shaving, cardboard, wood, and sheet-metal.
The second video includes sharpening at the start and throwing at the end, but it mostly features three other knives - a BK16, an RMD, and a Hog Muk. Hopefully the video will help elucidate how the SK-4.7 beats both of the first two. The SK-4.7 seems to be built of stronger steel than the BK-16 (better maintains edge-integrity against folding/rolling) and is a MUCH more efficient cutter than the RMD due to the superior geometry and smoother coating. I'd put the S!K steel on a level with SR101 if not above it (hard to really compare without matching geometry and edge-refinement), definitely above 1095CV, but not quite up to the level of INFI.

My apologies for the chaotic nature of the vids, as well as the length. Also, it was one of the first nice days here, so all the bikers were out on the highway that runs nearby.

Feel free to comment, and I'll try to get up a full thread like Junkyard's when I get a chance.

Many thumbs up! I knew you were going to cut through metal but it still makes me cringe. Pretty pleased with how that coating has been holding up for you! A big thank you for all your time and effort on this!

Back