Saddleback Leather: Wallets

I too tried the medium, and then went with the large....much better. The medium is too fat even with an average amount of stuff in it. I was also worried about the bifold design. I have always been a trifold kinda guy, and really didnt like the design of the bifold. I had one years ago(another brand) , and i had lost some cards that fell out. With the large, they're not coming out.

Hey Nevada, I have tried both over the past year or so and have found that the large bifold folds thinner with the same stuff in it compared to the medium. It spreads the contents out within the wallet and the wallet itself fills much more area in the back pocket, but it definitely isn't like sitting on a brick like I thought it would be. Try both out and whatever one you don't like pass along to a friend. ( I ended up giving my father the medium bifold and he loves it-doesn't care that it was slightly used.) BTW, the larger one is easier to sit on and would probably be appreciated when sitting on those beams.

Matt

I finally got around to ordering my Large Bifold in Dark Coffee Brown. After a hellish work week I decided to treat myself.

I finally got around to ordering my Large Bifold in Dark Coffee Brown. After a hellish work week I decided to treat myself.

How about a pic of that when you get it? Also, something showing how well it fits in the back pocket of jeans would be cool. I'm contemplating getting one.

I have a medium bifold in Dark Coffee Brown that my wife bought for me in June. It is just starting to look a little worn in..... which translates to GREAT! I'll take some pictures but this wallet looks like it will last for quite a few years.

Well, lookin' over this thread last night, I decided to retire my BMF wallet & ordered a Medium bifold in coffee. Got Home from work & donated to the JDRF, & now I've got a SBL bracelet to match en route too. If they're as robust as they claim, I'll order a belt to match.

So, I've got a belt on the way now...:cool:
The wait begins.

Edit: After 3 weeks of carryin' the medium bifold, I realize it's just too thick with all I carry in it, so I'm gonna try the large. The medium is fine for cargo pocket carry, but can lead to some serious back pain in a jean's hip pocket.

Last edited:
got my wallet in the mail today. please excuse the poor picture quality these are so others can get a real life size comparison only.

Old/new
IMG_13301.jpg

IMG_13361.jpg

IMG_13311.jpg

IMG_13331.jpg

IMG_13321.jpg

Old wallet full
IMG_13341.jpg

New wallet full
IMG_13351.jpg

NevadaExplorer, thank you for those comparison pics. I was on the fence between large and medium. Do you feel a difference when you sit compared to your old smaller bifold?

What I have found with the large is it spreads out the cards and is thinner then a bi or tri fold wallet. Much easier to sit on then the others IMO.

What I have found with the large is it spreads out the cards and is thinner then a bi or tri fold wallet. Much easier to sit on then the others IMO.

I concur. I also feel that as the wallet conforms to my butt its going to hardly be noticeable. its already a huge improvement over my old wallet.

I concur. I also feel that as the wallet conforms to my butt its going to hardly be noticeable. its already a huge improvement over my old wallet.

Agree also...BUT, the large, depending on your back pocket, sometimes fits real tight, side to side. I've found myself doing yoga in my car trying to get it out while at an ATM or drive thru.

Mine is really thin compared to how my old wallet used to look(fat)..i love it

Here are some pics of my large coffee along with a David Mosier Spyro;) I started using this wallet the second week this past July.

DSC04508.jpg

DSC04507.jpg

Ok now I have a question. Cleaning out the bifold area and I see stamped in the leather "Made in Old Mexico". Where is Old Mexico? Either way this thing will outlast me and I am 54.

As luck had it, I owned a medium bi-fold made about an year and half ago, which ended up breaking my credit cards into two (typically along the magnetic strip). I was confused, because I haven't put on significant weight in the last 10 yrs. or so. So I wrote to SBL, and they said I received a "faulty" design, and the newer ones have it improved and won't break cards. They also sent me a new wallet for free, and asked to keep the old one (now *that* is the warranty and customer service). Anyways, here are some comparison photos of the older and the newer one. There are minor design differences as well:
* new wallet is thin
* new wallet has the pigskin lining in the folded area as well
* new wallet has slightly loose pockets, so pushing and taking out operations require less effort.

Here are the photos (sorry for the poor image quality - these are taken with an iPhone)

New wallet on top
wallet0.jpg

New on the left
wallet2.jpg

The pigskin lining now on the front fold as well
wallet1.jpg

I got my Large Bifold in Dark Coffee Brown. I had to keep feeling to make sure my wallet was still there. I like to way it fits in the back pocket.

Still getting used to the size of this thing. I came from using something the size of the credit card wallet to this behemoth.

2011-10-21201124.jpg

I've owned four Saddleback Wallets, here's some quick thoughts on them.

Simple
Best for the ultimate minimalist. Single slot can hold a few cards and some cash, depending on how much you stretch it out.

Small
My preferred wallet. Carries my id, RFID card, a few credit cards, subway pass, and a few bills without bulking anything up in an easy to access package.

Medium
The first wallet I got. Gets thicker faster then the Large, but the footprint is smaller sizewise when broken in. If you prefer front pocket carry this is the one I would go for.

Large
Largest of the bunch. Thinner then the Medium due to the card layout inside (four sleeves instead of stacked slots). Great for stashing receipts and misc paper items. I could carry a full stack of business cards, all my plastic, 10+ bills, receipts, and a door shim all without making it look too bulky.

I just received the large wallet from SBL. It is the best wallet I've ever owned! Bar none!!! For those of you that own one do you find yourself reaching in your back pocket frequently to make sure it's still there? That is my only concern that it will be easy for unwanted hands to grab because of its size.

Asking for the large chestnut for christmas. A liiiiiittle leery of the size, but it's such a nice wallet, I think I'll just buy it and then figure out what works in terms of carry. One other thing. I've been tempted by the passport wallet because the thought of putting my edc moleskin volant in the pocket. Any suggestions? Would that be worth it or should I just go with the large wallet?

Back