SEARS KNIFE WORLD

Charlie thank you, I remember Codger quoting a few stories straight from either paper work or quotes with friends on their association with Mr A Baer, what an incredible life story that man has, I would dearly love to learn more.
Richard Langston used to be quite a source of knowledge about Albert Baer, and about his various companies, mostly Schrade!! Too bad he never wrote a book!! :rolleyes:

Oh yes- Charlie too true, I am sure that I will continue to strive to learn more - as I need to!

To have people like Codger and Richard Langston and their knowledge - Wow.

There must be others who experienced a closer relationship with the likes of Mr. Baer and associates, but at times I think people would see the amount of work involved that could possibly go to a small audience may have been a persuasion not to document and tell all? Who knows.

The way we live life these days is too fast and doesn’t allow one the luxury of time.

Lol. I always sit back when you show your complete collection - is it 53’s? And also your stockman, and as well what seems to be an endless stream of gorgeous Sheath Knives as well!
So so good to see- thank you Jeff.

Thanks, Duncan, it's the #53s with the muskrat clip main, the 5383XX Cubans. Fittingly, they have made 53 of them. I got the last two from Mike at Collectorknives, both were 1 of 2 made, to complete the collection. I've heard that the factory keeps one of every knife they make for their museum, so maybe mine is the only complete collection out there. It took me eleven years and one month to track them all down. Ten of the different handles were made in quantities of ten or less.

I would agree that you would then have THE most complete collection Jeff, so good to see- and what fantastic work in achieving that, I think only other Knife collectors who are very serious would know the endurance of the Hunt that you have been through to finally get those last two!

Things like this to me I find myself extremely lucky to view the collection and hard work that one has achieved - Thank you Jeff because it helps others get that shot of inspiration - it certainly does me! :) :thumbsup:

Our other friends have presented their Sears & Roebuck ACA's. previously in this thread. A.C.A is another Sears Brand name, Amazing Cutting Action. I am pretty the Blade was finished in a coarser Grit - then buffed which in turn gave a tough / Sharp edge to the customer slightly different to what they had before, now if I tripped up here- please come in boots 'n all and correct me, but I think that was pretty much it.

We saw the first peak of a ACA knife in 1972, Sears stated that the new ACA was " three times sharper than any other knife we sell", there's no doubt Sears Marketing machine was well oiled and never stopped. The Colouring to the Badges is described as Antiqued Brass.

4 inches closed, a plain, but still stylish Stockman.

6Nq4MG0.jpg

yh4qbIs.jpg

eQrm34U.jpg

IEzDBHu.jpg

Very nice, and brings back memories! My dad worked for Sears in the late 1970's-early 1980's and I took advantage of his employee discount and bought several scout-pattern knives in those days. Sadly, I don't have any of the knives I bought in those days. :(

What is the handle material of this Stockman?

Our other friends have presented their Sears & Roebuck ACA's. previously in this thread. A.C.A is another Sears Brand name, Amazing Cutting Action. I am pretty the Blade was finished in a coarser Grit - then buffed which in turn gave a tough / Sharp edge to the customer slightly different to what they had before, now if I tripped up here- please come in boots 'n all and correct me, but I think that was pretty much it.

We saw the first peak of a ACA knife in 1972, Sears stated that the new ACA was " three times sharper than any other knife we sell", there's no doubt Sears Marketing machine was well oiled and never stopped. The Colouring to the Badges is described as Antiqued Brass.

4 inches closed, a plain, but still stylish Stockman.

6Nq4MG0.jpg

yh4qbIs.jpg

eQrm34U.jpg

IEzDBHu.jpg

My grandfather gave me one of those in the mid 70s. I still have it.

Myron - Sears advertised it as “Unbreakable”.plastic type handle from memory - I will check on that description as I am down the road right now 😊👍

Edit: Correction, Sears description was 'Unbreakable Black Delrin" :) :thumbsup:

Lambertiana- Oh man.. What a treasure you have then 👍👍

Last edited:
While we are talking about Stockman's ( Jeff is sitting up now ), this used but still darned gorgeous Craftsman Sta Sharp holds it's head up when it comes to very nice Knives.
Most typical of the very early 40's Camillus Knives- to be honest not just for Sears- but Camillus were on the game then, but Sears we believe pushed for that little bit more, and we have seen slightly different bladed versions, or slightly higher "spec'd" Knives by Camillus for Sears.

I have said it before and don't mind repeating myself just how neat this Coloured Bone is- they got it right didn't they!- It wasn't just Camillus that had bone like this, as Mr Baer came into Ulster - so did Ulster provide Knives with this Bone, so I'm guessing he kept up a lot of good relationships or perhaps manufacturing techniques?

The Stockman 9508 came out before this Craftsman Etched version as a stand alone STA-SHARP by Camillus, and can be seen in the 1940's Catalog, for $0.95 cents.

More than a few times I have mentioned the new Craftsman Etch 1942 onwards as being THE Daddy, all - Schrade , Ulster and Camillus and others were sub-etched under the Craftsman lead Brand. So this guy here was post 1942, and this knife shown here shows you the consideration by Sears towards Ulster- because on the previous page of this Thread ( post 294 ) the Ulster version 9524 was basically this Knife but made by Ulster with the smallest of variations, and Ulsters version from then on dominated the catalogs and this 9508 didn't get much of a look in with the advertising Catalogs by Sears who then favoured the Ulsters.

The Ulster Chrome Vanadium 9524 was $0.03 cents more than this Camillus version. :eek:

lWuE4sZ.jpg

04GDJLu.jpg

qRE6pgY.jpg

ogNVcCd.jpg

My . . . oh my . . . oh my! I'll take a dozen of 'em!

Duncan, what a gorgeous stockman! I'm beyond "sitting up" - I'm standing up. The color of those covers makes the knife look ALIVE. Not to mention the jigging and the swedging and the worked spacer and . . . STAINLESS STEEL! That was early for stainless, I wonder what alloy and hardness you have there? GORGEOUS!

lol 😂
Yeah that Bone is something else isn’t it Jeff- if you look through this thread - MANY knives have this outstanding Bone.

You might remember that Camillus owned their early Brand of STAINLESS CUTLERY from the mid 20’s to 1940, and we talk of Camillus putting it out for Sears - there’s not a lot of mention just how good Stainless Cutlery Co’s Knives were - they were top notch!

I have a couple of them somewhere - from memory very nice ones as well !😊👍👍

Thank You,

I wasn't sure who made this. That is great to know.

I think I will make a nice new sheath for it and get it ready for the next generation. It did take a wonderful edge. Pop Pop's custom sheath will, of course, will remain with it.

Thanks Again,

Brough.

Hi there Folks, Hope you are all getting to finalizing things off at work for the year and ready for a nice Holiday break, I hope you all have a very happy and safe time with your loved ones.

I need to take a few photo's of latest arrivals, but I have had this one tucked away for a while, This three bladed Knife has gorgeous Jigged Bone, advertised as "Genuine Brown Bone Stag Handles" the Camillus built Stay Sharp was selling in Sears when Camillus was running strong within Sears, this Knife advertised in 1939 the 9529 was available for $0.95 cents - there was a stunning grouping of four Knives that included this Knife, and larger 3 and 4 Bladed Knives that you could take your pick and pay the same price, each Knife had the Sta Sharp etch, Cattle 4 Blade 9525, 4 Bladed Stock Knife 9509, 3 Bladed Stockman 9508 and this beauty, they all were the Highest quality packages that Camillus could produce at that time, gorgeous Jigged Bone Quality knives- take your pick - $0.95 cents each.

I love the Patina on the cap Bolsters and Shield, this wee Knife @ 3 & 1/8th Inches closed is imo a real beaut of a knife.

OrIkXDV.jpg

JWYUKZa.jpg

DRn8LLV.jpg

66NALDG.jpg

Back