Sebenza 21 lube choice . . .

Lapedog (or anyone) rather than start another post could someone answer this. Ive tried searches for "hole in handle" but nothing specific comes up. On Sebenzas I see this hole in the handle. Almost looks like its there to push like a piece of paracord into the hole and the blade when you fold it would chop it off. But I doubt this is why its there since the clip also blocks one from pushing paracord totally through. Whats the hole for?

You talking about this hole on the front?
nP5Ahzn.jpg

It’s apparently for holding the scale in place during machining of the scale. It is apparently an artifact of their older manufacturing techniques which is why it isn't on the Inkosi. I believe Sebenza scales are still manufactured this way which is why it is still on Sebenza scales.

That is what I heard anyway.

Yes, thats the one. Thanks for that explanation. Makes sense. Was intriguing because the way the blade tip comes back into the handle and slices right over the hole like its there as a cutter of some sort.

** When you registered both you and I agreed to not use the service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend. In your future posts to others, please try and live up to the terms we both agreed too.
No need to reply. You have made my ignore list... buh bye**
So, a post that disagrees with your opinion is defamatory, offensive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like or likely to offend?

You need some thicker skin.

Or a different hobby.

Lots of people here have tried to offer you guidance and advice. I can see now it was a waste of time.

Have fun with your knives.

Lapedog, i found the nano oil for $14 a tube on alphaknife.com. like $8 shipping so I bot two and will give the other one to my son. decent savings over amazon. Nice write up on how amazing nano technology is: 50 million nano bearings per square millimeters! I think using a combo of finish line fluoro grease as a base to hold the nano molecules longer in place will help me through the break-in process. Im already seeing an improvement in the action with just the FL fluoro and FL dry bike lube combo.

Haven't looked at this thread since it was started because it seems to fit the same question that has been asked and answered countless times in the past.
These knives are not pre-broken in..When you buy a new one, all the parts are new- Maybe the washer has been lapped a bit to get some freedom of movement in the pivot.
Much like the engine in your car, the mating parts have to wear to each other to run smoother. Sure, some people wish that they would come out of the box broken in..eh.. It's primary purpose to me is to cut.
I enjoy the engineering and time put into them but don't necessarily spend time ogling over them or measuring the torque required to open or close..for that matter, I don't even look them over all that closely anymore.
Really don't even take them apart anymore unless there is something inherently needing service..Maybe 1x/year? Maybe..My users are very smooth..perhaps this is one of the reasons is that I am not monkeying with them and changing their original position from when assembled?

If you can take offense to some of the answers given here and elsewhere about modifying the knife from purists..realize this. The factory sees the end result of people playing with them; They see that the washers have been lapped/sanded or modified and in some cases, they also hear that these knives left the factory in this condition. Imagine that..they mess up their $300+ plus knife and want the factory to pay for their mistake. Another favorite is when someone mods their knife and sells it as LNIB or NIB and doesn't disclose their fiddling. The new owner either 1) takes to the internet to tell the denizens what a POS this brand is or 2) Sends it back to the factory to fix 3) get's a bad taste in their mouth about the brand and sells, never to revisit again because of some notion created by the original owner.
Luckily, some people in many places give good advice..They warn against some of these actions for YOUR sake and to some extent, the sake of the company. As with anything, you have to have some critical thinking skills..Taking the advice of someone on Youtube is OK..but don't automatically assume that being on Youtube makes anyone an expert on the subject matter they discuss..some are more credible than others but do realize that many get PAID for their reviews. Many do not even keep the things they review..some get crap sent to them for free and sell after the review. Believe there are a few here on BF that do just that..Can usually tell who they are in the exchanges.

Two things- Ignoring people is a good thing here..but ignoring people because their opinion doesn't align with yours? Weird concept, but often leads one to question why you would post if you already had the opinion you wanted. Just a thought.
Lastly, keep politics, religion and any other such topics to their respective forums..We all know which subforums they live in.

Not directed toward any one person. To this day I never had to out someone on ignore.

For most of us. Knives are a part of our life style. We know knives and our knives know us. That goes for all types of gear, tools, weaponry etc.

Some just like to collect and lubricate shiny objects that they know nothing about. Yet they think their opinion is fact.

Last edited:
Haven't looked at this thread since it was started because it seems to fit the same question that has been asked and answered countless times in the past.
These knives are not pre-broken in..When you buy a new one, all the parts are new- Maybe the washer has been lapped a bit to get some freedom of movement in the pivot.
Much like the engine in your car, the mating parts have to wear to each other to run smoother. Sure, some people wish that they would come out of the box broken in..eh.. It's primary purpose to me is to cut.
I enjoy the engineering and time put into them but don't necessarily spend time ogling over them or measuring the torque required to open or close..for that matter, I don't even look them over all that closely anymore.
Really don't even take them apart anymore unless there is something inherently needing service..Maybe 1x/year? Maybe..My users are very smooth..perhaps this is one of the reasons is that I am not monkeying with them and changing their original position from when assembled?

If you can take offense to some of the answers given here and elsewhere about modifying the knife from purists..realize this. The factory sees the end result of people playing with them; They see that the washers have been lapped/sanded or modified and in some cases, they also hear that these knives left the factory in this condition. Imagine that..they mess up their $300+ plus knife and want the factory to pay for their mistake. Another favorite is when someone mods their knife and sells it as LNIB or NIB and doesn't disclose their fiddling. The new owner either 1) takes to the internet to tell the denizens what a POS this brand is or 2) Sends it back to the factory to fix 3) get's a bad taste in their mouth about the brand and sells, never to revisit again because of some notion created by the original owner.
Luckily, some people in many places give good advice..They warn against some of these actions for YOUR sake and to some extent, the sake of the company. As with anything, you have to have some critical thinking skills..Taking the advice of someone on Youtube is OK..but don't automatically assume that being on Youtube makes anyone an expert on the subject matter they discuss..some are more credible than others but do realize that many get PAID for their reviews. Many do not even keep the things they review..some get crap sent to them for free and sell after the review. Believe there are a few here on BF that do just that..Can usually tell who they are in the exchanges.

Two things- Ignoring people is a good thing here..but ignoring people because their opinion doesn't align with yours? Weird concept, but often leads one to question why you would post if you already had the opinion you wanted. Just a thought.
Lastly, keep politics, religion and any other such topics to their respective forums..We all know which subforums they live in.
great response thanks for that lengthy post and explanation. many of us are new and are hungry to learn. Do you feel asking a question like “what lube do you use on your Sebenza” is that out of line? I just dont know why some feel the need (from other threads Ive posted) to talk down to me... or start with “Im really doing you a favor here, so dont take this wrong” or “You should leave this forum and sell your “CRK” its just not for you”. Some only drop in to attempt to start a pile on to get a thread closed. They go to my ignore with my auto response. otherwise what is ignore for? And they should put me on their ignore list, so they dont feel the need to drop into a thread or a comment I make in a thread. I am impressed though that you as a mod would take the time to give me that great reponse.
They don’t pay you enough

great response thanks for that lengthy post and explanation. many of us are new and are hungry to learn. Do you feel asking a question like “what lube do you use on your Sebenza” is that out of line? I just dont know why some feel the need (from other threads Ive posted) to talk down to me... or start with “Im really doing you a favor here, so dont take this wrong” or “You should leave this forum and sell your “CRK” its just not for you”. Some only drop in to attempt to start a pile on to get a thread closed. They go to my ignore with my auto response. otherwise what is ignore for? And they should put me on their ignore list, so they dont feel the need to drop into a thread or a comment I make in a thread. I am impressed though that you as a mod would take the time to give me that great reponse.
They don’t pay you enough

No,..Ask questions..that is how we learn. It's human nature to be inquisitive. I would not ask anyone to stop asking questions despite being a mod because others may learn from it.
As far as some of the other content of your post, only you can determine what informational value any post here has concerning your needs. The internet is a fantastic medium to learn from, but about anything we do in life, some of the best education we can get is through time and our own experiences. How is it generally phrased? "Your mileage may vary"?
Just some words of wisdom, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. That is not directed at any one person by the way. It's just a lesson that text is cold, hard and often unforgiving in the eyes of some readers because it leaves out inflection of voice, body language etc.

Mods aren't paid just in case anyone was wondering...Unless I missed some checks, in which I would like to lodge a complaint to the management! (kidding of course)

Last edited:
Lapedog, i found the nano oil for $14 a tube on alphaknife.com. like $8 shipping so I bot two and will give the other one to my son. decent savings over amazon. Nice write up on how amazing nano technology is: 50 million nano bearings per square millimeters! I think using a combo of finish line fluoro grease as a base to hold the nano molecules longer in place will help me through the break-in process. Im already seeing an improvement in the action with just the FL fluoro and FL dry bike lube combo.
Nano is snake oil. It's expensive mineral oil with added junk that's not even necessary in folders. Not worth going out of your way to get it.

thanks for your response. I think the Wright Bros heard the same comment before their first flight!
Be interesting in that I have two Sebenzas now and can compare various lubes. For the $14 I spent on a 8cc tube of nano oil a few drops goes a long way. i think I still have a 50 year old tin of 3 in one oil in my shop! Nano tech interests me. we have a huge complex of a nano tech facility a mile from my house thats associated with the University of NY. They are developing all sorts of new ways of the micro technology like drug delivery and other ground breaking ideas that (from google) deal with dimensions and tolerances of less than 100 nanometers, especially the manipulation of individual atoms and molecules. Maybe they can clone another Sebenza for me and save me $500?

Last edited:
thanks for your response. I think the Wright Bros heard the same comment before their first flight
be interesting in that I have two Sebenzas now and can compare various lubes. For the $14 I spent on a 8cc tube of nano oil a few drops goes a long way. i think I still have a 50 year old tin of 3 in one oil in my shop! Nano tech interests me. we have a huge complex of a nano tech facility a mile from my house thats associated with the University of NY. They are developing all sorts of new ways of the micro technology like drug delivery and other ground breaking ideas that (from google) deal with dimensions and tolerances of less than 100 nanometers, especially the manipulation of individual atoms and molecules. Maybe they can clone another Sebenza for me and save me $500?

Question everything. :)

I saw that "8 year old thread" and a few others. Figured I ask and see if any higher tech lubes have caught on over the years.

Not a big deal man.

I've tried everything . CRK says use a Teflon lube.

I use Rem oil Teflon with all knives and fire arms besides CRK. The only thing I have ever used in tandem with CRK grease is Rem-teflon. Results were average.

From experience I say use CRK lube and just be patient .

I saw that "8 year old thread" and a few others. Figured I'd ask and see if any higher tech lubes have caught on over the years.

I beg to differ, like I stated in my earlier post, it started in 09 and is still active. The last post was this year.
It's not an old thread, just a long one.

Is there actually a difference between Finish Line fluoro and CRK fluro... I seriously doubt that there is... As far as I know fluorinated grease is the same regardless of the name on the tube.

Last edited:
Is there actually a difference between Finish Line fluoro and CRK fluro... I seriously doubt that there is... As far as I know fluorinated grease is the same regardless of the name on the tube.
There is a difference. I have both. They are not the same recipe. Look up chrstolube. It's one of two formulations from them but it's a secret as to which one. And if you look at the list there are several formulations and they are each different.

Just out of curiosity, in my search for my 3rd CRK . . . in the some selling pic of the open boxes at times I see two white tubes included. They are also of a different shape each, so I didn't think it was two tubes of grease. What is in the 2nd tube?
Both my first two 21's came with one tube.
Thanks

Just out of curiosity, in my search for my 3rd CRK . . . in the some selling pic of the open boxes at times I see two white tubes included. They are also of a different shape each, so I didn't think it was two tubes of grease. What is in the 2nd tube?
Both my first two 21's came with one tube.
Thanks
If you're looking at a Zaan or Inkosi then the second tube is thread lock for the pivot.

Back