Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Glad you are happy...i have a large micarta 31 with slight side/side play that crk will most likely warranty if you are interested.
Locks up to your perfection.

Side to side blade play would be a concern. That is unfortunate. Have you talked to CRK yet? They will get you taken care of fairly quick.

Ok
CRK related FB groups?! Really? Its gonna read like your responses...

Hi! I’m a CRK fanboi, CRK cant do anything wrong. If you find something wrong with their knives, please dont post about said issue, but contact CRK directly, so they can sweep it under the rug secretly and tell others its normal.

Lock play (up/down) with slight pressure is ridiculous, and shouldnt be tolerated. Don’t care what company is making the knife.

Lots of people complain about lockback up/down play, but the lock is solid. Bladeplay in my books is for 25 year old used knives. Not outta the box CRK’s.
Are you a member? Doesn't sound like you are because that is not exactly how the groups go. We have fairly informed discussions over there too and there is often valuable input from the makers. Any recommendation to contact CRK directly is simply to help get the issue resolved for the person quickly as posting to social media doesn't help the owner and doesn't help CRK to become aware of the problem.

It was merely a suggestion for the person above that was looking to purchase a 31 that and wanted more information. Not sure why you took such offense to it? Or to any of my comments actually. I guess we obviously have two different perspectives of the issue. I will refrain from adding to this further.

Ok

Are you a member? Doesn't sound like you are because that is not exactly how the groups go. We have fairly informed discussions over there too and there is often valuable input from the makers. Any recommendation to contact CRK directly is simply to help get the issue resolved for the person quickly as posting to social media doesn't help the owner and doesn't help CRK to become aware of the problem.

It was merely a suggestion for the person above that was looking to purchase a 31 that and wanted more information. Not sure why you took such offense to it? Or to any of my comments actually. I guess we obviously have two different perspectives of the issue. I will refrain from adding to this further.

No need to refrain! Its a discussion forum. All points are valid unless proved otherwise. :)

You are right...I thought your post was directed at me. :/

Our perspectives are different...from what I understand from your posts in a nutshell - “as long as the lock doesnt fail, then the very easy up/down play is ok”. My perspective...”solid lockup is a must, any easily manipulated up/down play is unacceptable.”

This about right? :D

Last edited:
So... no one wants to play devil's advocate for reply #666 on this thread?

I think the design of the 31 is fine and not inherently flawed. I think CRK has some QC issues with some batches, and some conversations with the warranty department and getting the problematic pieces on hand will resolve it and lead to more robust processes to prevent future issues and get the 31 up to 21 QC levels.

I think the design of the 31 is fine and not inherently flawed. I think CRK has some QC issues with some batches, and some conversations with the warranty department and getting the problematic pieces on hand will resolve it and lead to more robust processes to prevent future issues and get the 31 up to 21 QC levels.

No need to play devils’s advocate. Valid statement. Ive thought this all along...the design is fine, although some parts tolerances ARE flawed. :)

Although, if you want a devil’s advocate...it may just be a batch that is messed up. So you are telling me, with all the “hands on” at the CRK factory, plus the assemblers, no one caught the play on this batch? Then proceeded to send them out, and tell people the play was normal? ;)

H hoimin

That went right over my head. Lol. I just realized what you meant by post #666. Lol.
That was a good one. :)

View attachment 1335456

Okay you guys. I have put my money where my mouth is. I just ordered a 31 and should have it in hand early next week. I am NOT going to do a table test, and I will not whack the spine. However, I will check the tightness of the lock up by hand. Hopefully, I will be able to shed some light on what is going on. This endless discussion needs more real life experience and less speculation and opinion. If I am not happy with the knife, I will package it right back up for a speedy return and stick to my 21's.

Last edited:
View attachment 1335456

Okay you guys. I have put my money where my mouth is. I just ordered a 31 and should have it in hand early next week. I am NOT going to do a table test, and I will not whack the spine. However, I will check the tightness of the lock up by hand. Hopefully, I will be able to shed some light on what is going on. This endless discussion needs more real life experience and less speculation and opinion. If I am not happy with the knife, I will package it right back up for a speedy return and stick to my 21's.

Who is concerned and speculating in this thread that doesnt already own one?

Lock bar insert anybody?

I think it would work, and it would be super cool if they could put matching Damascus as the insert.

The lock movement is not a flaw. Their lock design means that it experiences more movement than other frame locks, in some cases substantially more so. CRK knows this, but does not consider it a defect as it's an accepted side effect of having the ceramic lock ball in the position that it's at. Whether one wants to consider it a poor design is an entirely different question.

If customers don't like a new feature, it is a flaw in their opinion and a poor design. When it comes to a design being better or worse, ultimately it's the customer that decides.

The Sebenza's lock bar interface was not flawed, it was a key reason why many bought the knife.

Update on my small 31. Vertical play actually seems worse with time. On closer inspection the lockbar does indeed move. However it actually seems to INCREASE lockup with the downward pressure.

I had an umnumzaan that did very sketchy things once. I wasn't the first owner and if I "soft-opened" it, it would close upon the slightest pressure to the blade. My 21's have been fine though, and my inkosi's have always been perfect.

Update on my small 31. Vertical play actually seems worse with time. On closer inspection the lockbar does indeed move. However it actually seems to INCREASE lockup with the downward pressure.
It would make sense that the middle of the lockbar would flex outward and drive the engagement ball inwards on the tang. I can imagine how that would be.

So I ponder these questions:

Is this whole aside the reason the lock bar is angled (not parallel to the centerline) on the umnumzaan and 25/Inkosi?

Is this issue the result of trying to implement the ball bearing lock with a thinner blade stock of the 31, compared to the Umnum and Inkosi?

I don’t know he answers, but I’m mulling it over in my mind.

Is this whole aside the reason the lock bar is angled (not parallel to the centerline) on the umnumzaan and 25/Inkosi?

Is this issue the result of trying to implement the ball bearing lock with a thinner blade stock of the 31, compared to the Umnum and Inkosi?

Yeah gets you thinking..

Think I mentioned this before in this now quite looooong thread, I don't have neither Inkosis or Umnums, but is it possible that they both have a stronger lockbar?

Making them flex a lot less?

:D I stated in an early post this exact question. I also believe the lockbar is too thin, and the blade thickness is too thin for the size of the ceramic ball they are using. :)

Back