Sebenza Clone

Just noticed these knives that claim to be equivalent to Sebenzas. Premiumknives.com has many discounted quality knives and I have bought from them in the past with no problems. However these Alias l and Alias ll knives are making some strong claims and they appear to be of very high quality. Anybody bought one? Here's the link: http://www.premiumknives.com/newsletter/

Someone is ripping off Chris Reeve's design and using his reputation to further their financial gain? Sign me up for one of those! :rolleyes: :thumbdn:

DigDeep, I know you just wanted to know if they're good knives, but I think that issue is going to be ignored because of the disgust most of us feel :mad:

So don't get one ;) :D

I don't think they are copying the design... is mostly the quality/material concept. I think if CRK cannot satisfy all the market needs then these new knives should be very welcomed.

Capitalism. The basic concept of our economy. ;)

Doesnt look like a sebenza, except for the colored thumbstud and materials. Who knows, probably a nice knife- I'm not about to buy either that or a Sebenza. The really lame part is where they are marketing it as a sebenza clone. If it is a good knife, it should stand on its own merits. :rolleyes:

There was recent mention of Bradley Cutlery. I believe these are made by Benchmade which is why the clip and blade shape are basically identical to some of their knives.

I hadn't seen that article actually, thanks for the link! I know a few people who have them and like them very much. Most of them seem to think this is where the Sebenza "should" be priced. I don't know anything about that, but if it works, then it works. I haven't actually seen anything directly from Bradley, and have just seen people saying that the font on the blade and the pocket clip (as previously mentioned) all smack of being a Benchmade product. For me, I prefer the Classic Sebenza for blade shape, but the Bradley handle looks more comfortable to me. I still think you could just optimize a 635 by reprofiling the blade and save a bit even over the Bradley price.

Sincerely,
Anthony

Guess "clone" was too strong a word - they don't claim the knives are exactly identical, just that they are made with the same high quality standards.

By the way, they also sell the Chris Reeves Sebenza so I don't think there's an attempt at a direct rip-off.

Plumber576 said:
umm...aluminum handles?

where did you see that?

"6AL 4V Titanium Handle, blue anodized aluminum barrel spacers and thumb studs and removable stainless steel pocket carry clip."

To me that's a good looking knife for a reasonable price. Lot's of products have been brought to market because of the lack of availability of another product; there is nothing wrong with that. Comparing your product to one that is considered amongst the best is a very popular marketing ploy.

Thanks to the standard set by Chris Reeve Knives, there are plenty of very nice titanium handled framelocks on the market, many with the same S30V that Chris pioneered.

Competition is good for the industry. Cheap advertising ... is cheap advertising. I think they pushed a little too hard on how these knives are so much of a match for a Sebenza.

And what was that about 100% American made? As if the Sebenza isn't, and the CUDA Maxx, and the Skirmish?

Buy them if you like them at the price. They haven't really done anything unethical. I just think a knife like the RSK did a classier job of playing off their respect for the Sebenza. And knives like the Maxx and the Skirmish did a better job at establishing their own versions of the Ti framelock niche.

It's not a clone any more than any other Ti handled framelock is a Sebenza clone. The Sebenza is just the most obvious comparison.

Thumbstud placement. I think though they overstate the lack of availability of CRK products. And a lifetime warranty is only as good as long as the company is business. For my money, I've weighed a doubt against a certainty and I'll stay with CRK.

Tai Chi

It is obviously inspired by the Sebenza which the maker is pretty clear about. It also attempts to improve on the design in several respects, as the handle and blade geometry are significantly different.

-Cliff

The 'review' claims
there is also a 3-8 month waiting list to receive one (Sebenza)
which is pretty inaccurate- I found four in stock between 888 Knives and 1 Stop Knife Shop in about 5 minutes time.

Sure, if you want a custom order, there's a wait, but otherwise you could have a bunch of nice ones by next Friday. That's a tempting thought...

Rat Finkenstein said:
where did you see that?

"6AL 4V Titanium Handle, blue anodized aluminum barrel spacers and thumb studs and removable stainless steel pocket carry clip."

Whoops....read THAT wrong. Thanks for noticing.

Ryan8 said:
There was recent mention of Bradley Cutlery. I believe these are made by Benchmade which is why the clip and blade shape are basically identical to some of their knives.
Yep, You're right. Benchmade does make those for Bradley.

I really like the blade shape. As the article states, it looks alot like my Al Mar S2k's. If the handle had more of a swell/guard towards the front like the S2K, I'd be all over it...

Mark

They are nice knives and are typical Benchmade quality, Which is great but not CRK level. My big complaint with them is the thumbstud is slick and hard to use because of this. The same company intends to put out a smaller "Mnandi" type knife also.

Back