Attention Select Your Favorite Brown Tone for Sawcut Bone!!

Brown Tone Options - (alphabetical)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
MINI - BREAKING NEWS!!!! :D
We should see some pics on the GEC site in the next couple of days. I heard they are processing blades, and making bone for handles!!

Bone…. Wait… bone?… BONE?!?!?!? Must be a typo. These knives are hemlock green. I know its hard to call tree bark wood, but it surely is a far cry from bone. Even if it were to be petrified, though remember folks, this is standard hemlock green tree bark covers. Beauty is in the imperfections.

Could you imagine if someone handed you a knife with tree bark covers “oh… uh.. yeah, thats nice… can you take it back now?”

Really making me look forward to my hip replacements - yes that is plural. Both will have to be done eventually.
waynorth waynorth glad to hear you are heading in the right direction. Everyone I have talked to who had it done said they are mad they didn't do it sooner, quality of life so much better. Thanks for the update.

Really making me look forward to my hip replacements - yes that is plural. Both will have to be done eventually.
waynorth waynorth glad to hear you are heading in the right direction. Everyone I have talked to who had it done said they are mad they didn't do it sooner, quality of life so much better. Thanks for the update.

That's intense. I sure hope they are going to stagger them over enough time for you to recover from one before you get the next done.

Could you imagine if someone handed you a knife with tree bark covers “oh… uh.. yeah, thats nice… can you take it back now?”
I dunno… those Scandinavians do some great work with stacked birch bark… stack some birch bark in resin and I’d bet you’d get some really cool covers.

… actually… Charlie… can we have another poll? 🤔 😂

That's intense. I sure hope they are going to stagger them over enough time for you to recover from one before you get the next done.
I have had them both scoped, 6 years apart, to clean up and push the replacements down the road. The damage was mirrored to each side; a spur, a tear and resurfacing the entire femoral head. Still hanging in there, but I don't give them much slack either, farm work and hunting.

When I had mine done one of my colleagues had both of hers replaced at the same time. She was up and walking the same day, albeit slowly and she recovered nicely. IMHO if you need both replaced you might as well get them both done at the same time. If your doctor recommends it. The level of pain post replacement is nothing compared to having searing pain every time you put any weight on your leg.

I dunno… those Scandinavians do some great work with stacked birch bark… stack some birch bark in resin and I’d bet you’d get some really cool covers.

… actually… Charlie… can we have another poll? 🤔 😂

I know this is a bit tongue-in-cheek but if one stacks birch bark in resin (which would likely be necessary for a pocket knife), it removes the great appeal of birch bark as a handle material. I've never felt a handle material more pleasant and tactile than stacked birch bark. If done proper, no glue is used in the process - the natural oils in the bark keep everything sealed and in place. It's a wonderfully natural handle material.

jLWsEQF.jpg

I know this is a bit tongue-in-cheek but if one stacks birch bark in resin (which would likely be necessary for a pocket knife), it removes the great appeal of birch bark as a handle material. I've never felt a handle material more pleasant and tactile than stacked birch bark. If done proper, no glue is used in the process - the natural oils in the bark keep everything sealed and in place. It's a wonderfully natural handle material.

jLWsEQF.jpg
Wow, that's beautiful! That's the first I've seen stacked birch bark used on a fixed blade...Thanks for contributing to my knife education today!

Pàdruig Pàdruig Dylan- who made that puuko/sloyd/general-Scandinavian-style knife? I've often desired an overly fancy knife for my wood working.

EDIT: also, I agree there's something great in the tactile nature of the stacked birch bark, but one cannot deny that even birch bark stacked in resin would have a very appealing aesthetic.

Absolutely, bedroom furniture is heavy and cumbersome and no fun on steps. I told my friends a few years back that I was done moving them. Everyone is old enough to afford movers.
My next "move" will be burning my house to the ground, buying a new tent, and living in the woods.
Never again will I squeeze myself around a stairway landing, arm pinned against the wall performing clumsy, slow-motion sofa acrobatics.

Wow, that's beautiful! That's the first I've seen stacked birch bark used on a fixed blade...Thanks for contributing to my knife education today!

If you ever get the opportunity to handle/own one, I'd fully recommend it. It's similar to stacked leather, but better in some cases - retains its grippiness even when wet.

Pàdruig Pàdruig Dylan- who made that puuko/sloyd/general-Scandinavian-style knife? I've often desired an overly fancy knife for my wood working.

EDIT: also, I agree there's something great in the tactile nature of the stacked birch bark, but one cannot deny that even birch bark stacked in resin would have a very appealing aesthetic.

The maker of this one is Todor Hristov - a BF maker here. I have a couple of his knives and they are both excellent - I hope to get more in the future.

jLWsEQF.jpg
It seems like it would be too flimsy or fragile? Almost like cork in a way. I’ve never had one so no personal exp. Clearly it works.

It seems like it would be too flimsy or fragile? Almost like cork in a way. I’ve never had one so no personal exp. Clearly it works.

If built properly, it shouldn't be all that different than a wood - albeit a softer wood. When properly compressed (similarly to stacked leather), the layers bind themselves to each other via its natural oils - making it resistant to rot, weather, etc. Though, when dry, it has a soft warm feel, the material itself is not at all soft - I have to make a significant effort to make an indent with my fingernail, which is similar to how wood handles tend to react.

I don't think it fragile but I am not sure I'd want it on a larger knife than a Puukko - I'm not hammering through stuff with a Puukko but I sure do want a nice grip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back