Serious lags!

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by markksr, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    I also am still experiencing long lags when trying to post.

2. roughedges

roughedges

Oct 3, 2004
    FWIW, when making a reply, it seems that new posts post immediately after hitting the submit button but the page continues to hang. I found this out after closing the page in frustration at the slow load time and seeing that the post still made it to the thread. But when I did this it also took several minutes for the thread to show as updated for my post on the subforum front page and while using the 'new posts' tab.

Something is wrong somewhere. The whuzzit is configured for the whazzit, etc. etc. :confused:

3. HikingMano

HikingMano

Sep 2, 2008
    Still laggy at times, and I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but sometimes when I post or edit a reply I get the button options for a poll and the confirmation message for a poll on regular non-poll threads ("vote now" buttons instead of reply, confirmation message says i've voted instead of reply submitted).

4. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    Whatever time and money was spent on the last upgrade, isn't paying off. It's as slow and spotty as ever. Frustrating.

Coop

5. JatMat

JatMat

Aug 26, 2006
    Actually it seems worse, the delay in posting sometimes drives me crazy.
    Jim

6. Guyon

Guyon Biscuit Whisperer Staff Member Super Mod

Mar 15, 2000
    When the post window hangs up, try right clicking the thread's name link and opening a new window. Most often, your post will be there, and you can simply close the hung window and keep trucking.

Aggravating, but better than sitting there doing nothing.

7. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    In the hour and a half since mycroftt posted his thread (No lag now - none ) I hadn't had any problems at all, until now, that is.

They're back...

8. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    ok, we think we've tracked this down and it's (surprise) related to the search.

When someone makes a new post on the site, the posts index table is locked while the search index updated. Because of the size of the databases, this is taking longer and longer.

So, we've got a couple options here.

Option 1 is that we can add another column to the db and use it to speed up the indexing. This will require a minimum of 48 hours downtime for the forums.

Option 2 is that we can switch over to MYSQL Fulltext searching which is more efficient than the organic vB search, but I'm not sure how much more. This will probably require a week or so of downtime.

Option 3 is installing a third party search app such as Sphinx, which is entirely unsupported by vB at this time.

Option 4 is splitting the db and creating, effectively, another site - archives.bladeforums.com which will have the first 8-9 years of BFC and everything newer will be here on the "live" forums. The only problem with this is that the live forums and the archives won't probably be able to be married back together in the future.

I'm debating on what to do, but I'm open to opinions.

9. 5.56

Sep 27, 2008
    Sounds like options 2 and 3 really aren't a fix.

I would vote option 1, with minimal downtime and still keeping things simple as far as searches go.

10. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    Well, option 2 would (probably) stop the lags altogether, as would option 3 since the posts table wouldn't be locked.

11. T.A.DAVISON

T.A.DAVISON Slip Joint Knife Maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 24, 2005
    Spark - just pick your best option for you and Bladeforums an do it.
    Sometime you gotta to do, what you gotta to do, getter done.....:thumbup:

TA

12. Fred Sanford

Fred Sanford Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2006
    How about only having the search index update only once a day instead of every time a new post is created?

Also, (not tooting my own horn) but I do get paid "big bucks" to work on SQL Servers, Linux Servers, MySQL Servers, Web Servers, Cisco Routers, Switches, Firewalls, etc. So I'm one of those "techie" guys and I work in a hospital so stuff has to stay up 24/7/365 .......and it does. ;)

I don't see a reason to update the search index more than once a day because chances are the newest threads are still on the first or second page of the forum and don't need to be included in search.

Just my $.02 of advice.

I'm used to having people to "pound salt" so please feel free. ;)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  13. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    Option 3 seems to be the least "intrusive".

14. 5.56

Sep 27, 2008
    Nevermind me, I would say go with whatever the techs recommend, that's why they get paid the big bucks. :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  15. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    As bad as ever right now.

16. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    +1. Over a minute to load the page...

17. SPXTrader

SPXTrader

Dec 26, 2006
    This is the slowest I've seen it. Must be a bunch of little stolas223's still in there clogging up the pipes.

18. CarpScot

CarpScot

Jan 28, 2008
    Same on my end.

19. A.P.F.

A.P.F.

Mar 3, 2006
    I would consider option 4 as it will provide a degree of redundancy. Besides, I don't think that I could go for 48hrs without BF.

20. Sword and Shield

Sword and Shield

Apr 3, 2004
    Another test post... I'm hitting reply at 22:49:48

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.