Off-Topic Share your animal friends!

Now that the weather has turned I’m getting starlings down the chimney again. Except so far it has only been the one that’s out of service. That means these stupid birds climb down into the chimney that leads to nowhere after previous residents moved the wood stove to a different part of the house. Then when they cannot get out, I hear them, through the wall in my computer room, as they flap themselves unconscious, only to wake up again later and keep trying, to no avail, until they finally go silent forever, along with however other many bird skeletons are in there. Not a nice way to go.

Last year before winter I climbed up there with some chicken wire to put a stop to this, and the birds getting in my stove. But this was right after I had pulled my back and when I realized how much reaching and balancing I would have to do to finish the job, I climbed back down. It’s a steel roof and pretty slippery despite fairly modest pitch, so given my limitations at that time it wasn’t worth the risk.

Thought I would get help from someone with a bucket or maybe a harness but that never happened. But then it got cold and I didn’t see or hear a bird since (but the mouse problem exploded, that is another story).

Anyway it’s happening again; I have had these brain dead birds flapping away inside the wall all week. Given the dry weather and how I felt after yesterday’s exercise session I decided I was good to go up and take care of it now. May need to zoom in to see it, but with the chicken wire up there now, it should be impossible for any more birds to get in.

IMG_5694.jpeg

Oh actually I did take one pic while I was up there after doing the first one:

IMG_5691.jpeg

Disclaimer: Yes there is a dead fly on the floor. I live in the country and sweep up half a dozen of them and when I go back into the same room an hour later there's already another half dozen on the floor again. It's so bad I keep a coffee can by the door to put them in, which periodically gets emptied into the wood stove.

Disclaimer: Yes there is a dead fly on the floor. I live in the country and sweep up half a dozen of them and when I go back into the same room an hour later there's already another half dozen on the floor again. It's so bad I keep a coffee can by the door to put them in, which periodically gets emptied into the wood stove.

Do they stink when thrown into the fire? If so, another way for them to be annoying. 😀

While clearing the swampy area behind our backyard on Saturday, I ran across one of our local animal "friends". Just as I was going to take my next step, I saw a white object. Thinking it was a flower or mushroom, I leaned closer to see. It turned out to be Water Moccasin (also known as a cottonmouth) right where my next step was going to be! Yikes. It was already in full threat display, mouth fully open and fangs on display. I backed away since they will not. Fun times.

While clearing the swampy area behind our backyard on Saturday, I ran across one of our local animal "friends". Just as I was going to take my next step, I saw a white object. Thinking it was a flower or mushroom, I leaned closer to see. It turned out to be Water Moccasin (also known as a cottonmouth) right where my next step was going to be! Yikes. It was already in full threat display, mouth fully open and fangs on display. I backed away since they will not. Fun times.
good thing ya got warned and not just bit.

It is, but the thing with water moccasins is that they are essentially quiet. So if you don't see it, you might get bit. But like much in life, if you are careful there is little to worry about. This my third close encounter with one in tens years, so even in an area prone to them, encounters of not that common.

NV3vNhm.jpg

I was prepping the garden when the shovel caught on a clump of dry grass. I dump old grass, sawdust and mulched leaves on the garden and till them in every Fall. so I was not surprised at hitting a clump. I ran my hand down in it to pull it all out and something warm moved against my fingers. When I jerked my hand out, the top of the nest came off. 5 baby bunnies on the day before Easter. I was worried the mother would abandon them but she fixed the nest and has been attending the babies.

It is, but the thing with water moccasins is that they are essentially quiet. So if you don't see it, you might get bit. But like much in life, if you are careful there is little to worry about. This my third close encounter with one in tens years, so even in an area prone to them, encounters of not that common.
I know water moccasins, easterns, pygmys, corals. I'm from Florida. grew up trying to avoid them my whole life.

haven't seen a coral since I was a kid. I dont go lookin for them. I have no love for snakes. I leave them be.

NV3vNhm.jpg

I was prepping the garden when the shovel caught on a clump of dry grass. I dump old grass, sawdust and mulched leaves on the garden and till them in every Fall. so I was not surprised at hitting a clump. I ran my hand down in it to pull it all out and something warm moved against my fingers. When I jerked my hand out, the top of the nest came off. 5 baby bunnies on the day before Easter. I was worried the mother would abandon them but she fixed the nest and has been attending the babies.
cotton tails or swamp rabbits. can't tell from the pic...

I'm thinkin cotton tails?

Right on the money. Virginia cotton tails, western side of the state. Cute as buttons and I will be cussing them before Summer is over for eating our flowers.

Every Summer I swear I am going to shoots sticks into our local Deer for all that they eat. And every winter I put out corn in a trough and a mineral block so those babies come out healthy.

I know water moccasins, easterns, pygmys, corals. I'm from Florida. grew up trying to avoid them my whole life.

haven't seen a coral since I was a kid. I dont go lookin for them. I have no love for snakes. I leave them be.
Yep! I've run into all of those snakes here in our yard, except for the Eastern. Not to mention numerous black bears, deer, and a couple of young alligators. Raptors and owls are quite common as well.

Yep! I've run into all of those snakes here in our yard, except for the Eastern. Not to mention numerous black bears, deer, and a couple of young alligators. Raptors and owls are quite common as well.
nice.

where y'all at, sw florida area?....dont need exact town just curious what part of the state....

Back