Shirogorov Neon ultra lite arrived and I'm a little annoyed...

Yes, unfortunately for me the neon and hation are 3.25", I like this neon so much it will be my regular edc except for the days I travel into the nanny zones, and on those days I will bring my spyderco chaparral.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread that my wet behind the ears self have not seen before, but will have a look at with the goal of finding a pleasant to use higher end flipper under 3".

For dirc: I'm looking for a really finely finished sub 3" flipper, I'm not looking for the entry level flipper. I have about 5 kershaw leeks already, but am looking to move uptown.
I appreciate your suggestions for the non flippers like the para 3, which unquestionably is a fabulous edc, but for the non flipper role, I already have that covered with a spyderco chaparral which I really like.

I predict you will love the Spartan Metis. You should really check it out if you get the chance. It might be a better option to edc since you can get it warranty repaired in the US if need be.

SNSF4SWBBtc.jpg

SNSF4SWPBLt.jpg

For dirc:
Here is a photo of my collection of current kershaws, all of which I'm going to sell now.
Just keeping the bottom 2:
spyderco chaparral and shiros for now.0417182137-1.jpg

Last edited:
Let me put in a good (great) word for Bradford Knives, made here in Kent, Washington in a small shop. I have owned his Guardian 3" flipper as well as about eight of his fixed blades...in 3V, M390, and Vanadis 4E. I cannot praise his work enough. I've carried his fixed blade cross-draw for two yrs and loved it.
He is NOT expensive.

I covered a penny with some parafilm and used that as the tool to take apart the Neon to have a look see. I used the smallest amount of locktite Red high strength when closing it back up. Shouldn't be a problem. <---totally kidding. I used a tiny tiny amount of loctite 222ms purple low strength thread locker. Just checking if you guys are awake reading this. ;)

Here are some photos of the shirogorov secret sauce, the multi row free bearing system.
The balls seem to be held in place by the high viscosity of the clear grease, so none of them fell out during careful disassembly.

Looks so well finished inside and out. I don't see any reason why ZT could not produce this quality if they wanted to...

To me this flips easily twice as good as the zt 0450, which is saying something.
Perfectly solid thunk coming out and going back, zero play, just perfect. Such a joy to open and close. It is this subjective feel that makes it absolutely worth it to me.
Hedonic adaptation=I can never go back...

0417182210-1.jpg 0417182202a-1.jpg 0417182207-1.jpg 0417182202-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mo2
Jumbi8, Replace those bearings with some Sic bearings and you will see a real jump in the action of that knife.

For dirc:
Here is a photo of my collection of current kershaws, all of which I'm going to sell now.
Just keeping the bottom 2:
spyderco chaparral and shiros for now.View attachment 889766

Ya, the Shiro Neon kinds of spoils ya for other knifes. I have been EDC mine for the last 18 months and everything else I have bought has been a catch and release.

What are "sic" bearings?

silicon carbide bearings. You will get a noticeable difference in action but the real performance increase comes in mirror polishing your flats. I used diamond lapping film.

3638d7db94.png

A lot of people forgetting that the NeOn Ultra Lite only costs 550, not 400-500 dollars more than a CRK.

silicon carbide bearings. You will get a noticeable difference in action but the real performance increase comes in mirror polishing your flats. I used diamond lapping film.

3638d7db94.png

A lot of people forgetting that the NeOn Ultra Lite only costs 550, not 400-500 dollars more than a CRK.

Thanks add polishing to the to do list for the weekend!!

Thanks add polishing to the to do list for the weekend!!

Make sure to get real diamond impregnated film and not silicon carbide, otherwise it'll take a while! I like adhesive backed strips placed flat on a glass plate. Starting from 30 micron down to around 5-1 is good. Afterwards I put some sub-micron diamond lapping paste on some regular printer paper and rub furiously until its completely mirrored

Should take about an hour to an hour half if you take your time to avoid scratches.

Production Shirogorovs have a very noticeable tactile feel to the bearings riding on the stonewashed pivot area. With a polished blade flats I actually prefer MRBS heavily over single roller and even the custom-exclusive double roller bearings. And this is speaking from someone who has knives with all 3 systems :)

Make sure to get real diamond impregnated film and not silicon carbide, otherwise it'll take a while! I like adhesive backed strips placed flat on a glass plate. Starting from 30 micron down to around 5-1 is good. Afterwards I put some sub-micron diamond lapping paste on some regular printer paper and rub furiously until its completely mirrored

Should take about an hour to an hour half if you take your time to avoid scratches.

Production Shirogorovs have a very noticeable tactile feel to the bearings riding on the stonewashed pivot area. With a polished blade flats I actually prefer MRBS heavily over single roller and even the custom-exclusive double roller bearings. And this is speaking from someone who has knives with all 3 systems :)

Do you do the scales as well as the blade?

Unfortunately It's difficult to do the lockside scale since the bearing track is inset into the scale. With the Hati you technically could polish the CF side since there is a hardened steel washer while the bearing race on that side is counter sunk into the blade however the washer seems to work harden and doesn't have random stonewash scratches to begin with so just polishing the blade flats yields a very noticeable effect on the action's smoothness

The Jake Hoback MK Ultra is an awesome liner-lock flipper that measures in at 2.5" with titanium handles and an S35VN tanto blade. While the LionSteel TRE is not made in the US at least it's made in Italy, an ally of ours. The Septer has excellent fit and finish but what differentiates it from the Neon is its thickness and the adjustable detent as the Neon's detent is moderate in strength as compared to others'. The GM4 is excellently built although I don't care for the ergonomics.

Michael Zieba makes some nice small stuff for reasonable prices. He is in NY I believe.

Russ

Ray Laconico make some really nice 3-inch flippers. The Jasmine model. I would add some pictures but I don't know how . he also makes a smaller blade I think. It's called the EDC. I ordered a Hation should be here today

Last edited:
I'm a bit annoyed that there appear to be no local knife makers who make a smaller flipper (3"ish) this simply well designed, well finished quality available USA made. I see a few that are larger nearer to the 4", but I'm looking specifically for the around 3" mark. Ideally a 2.9" blade so I could legally carry it just about everywhere in my nanny state of California.

Why must I have to pay $$$ and order from another country to get this quality?

ZT are you listening-you have the capability, just do it...

Vent over.

Man this (shirogorov fit and finish) is what I was looking for...

edit- I should add that I am very wet behind the ears in this hobby so clearly I don't know about that many higher end brands yet. Please enlighten me
I could be wrong but, I'm pretty sure California does not have a 3" limit on folding knives.

"California" the state has no restriction on blade length state wide, but 3 cities near me do have local ordinances.

Back