Should I get Spyderco Endura or Cold Steel Broken skull?

I think broken skull is better knife overall, materials ,performance and durability, but will go with spyderco for looks,and deployement.

Id get Pacific salt,but they do not make one in ffg!I do not need liners,as the knife will be used for cutting only.

The CS has better materials and build but that billboard on the blade, not for me.

I own both, and while the Broken Skull may be the 'stronger' knife, I still favor the Endura 4 FFG over it. I find it's a lot more comfortable to carry and operate than the Broken Skull. And while I like CTS-XHP, I've never had any problems with VG-10 steel. In fact, I like VG-10 a lot. It's a good steel, at least the way Spyderco does it. I don't always need the latest 'super' steel in every knife I carry/use.

Jim

I am thinking about Al Mar eagle light.....even though its aus8 ,The way Al Mar does it ,should be on par with Spydercos vg10.I always wanted this knife,the only thing that turned me off is price.Will see.might get the Heavy dty version in zdp,depends what my dealer will have!

I hate to recommend a Cold Steel over a Spyderco. I really, really do. But if you don't mind the absurd name and marketing, the Broken Skull is just a better knife with better materials at a similar price.

It isn't a better knife. Linerless g10 scales and a useless pocket clip. It's an ok knife for ~$40.

Just curious, where does the boker patriot fit in with this comparison? I have an old zdp 189 endura that Krein reground for me many years ago. Slicy beast, easy to sharpen, definitely has a place in my line up. Might have to try a BS, had great luck with my code 4.

Russ

Last edited:
Cold Steel only has themselves to blame for why many people don't realize they make a quality product.

I think a big factor people are overlooking is carryabily. The Endura melts into your pocket and you will carry it everywhere. It is an ideal edc knife partly because how pleasant it is to C , ED. ( carry; everyday). This isn't to disparage the Cold Steel BS (Bull Sh**)

I love my Spydercos, and I rarely carry or use the Cold Steel knives I own. That said, your analogy is a bad one. I wouldn't mind owning a Kia (I own two Hyundais currently, I have owned three more in the past), but I have zero interest in owning a Mercedes. Overpriced, not just at purchase, but cost of ownership is excessively steep, for a limited return in comfort and luxury.

Give me a Kia over a Mercedes, any day. And Spyderco over CS, most days. I do like the TriAd lock, and that is why I own a few.

To me, that's like asking "should i get a Mercedes or a Kia".

CS is goofy. Spyderco forever.

OP, if it's about the better knife, top to bottom (including value) the Broken Skull. If it's about politics, feelings, and a need to find self worth in material things, the Endura. At the same price point, the Broken Skull is head and shoulders above the Endura as far as the knives themselves are concerned.

It's like Ford vs Chevy. I don't get into all that. There are some Fords I love, and some Chevys I love. I own vehicles from both. I don't consider myself a Ford guy, or a Chevy guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Look, there are cold steel knives I like and own. Don't speak for us when you say we recommend Spyderco because of politics or a lack of self worth that material things boosts.

If I didn't believe that the spyderco was a better knife I wouldn't recommend it. All of us have given reasons we consider legitimate why we consider the Endura the superior choice.

I would not recommend a worse knife to a fellow blade lover in order to stroke my own ego or satisfy some weird urge to market Spydercos on the company's behalf.

OP, if it's about the better knife, top to bottom (including value) the Broken Skull. If it's about politics, feelings, and a need to find self worth in material things, the Endura. At the same price point, the Broken Skull is head and shoulders above the Endura as far as the knives themselves are concerned.

I don't get this. Are you saying people who prefer the Endura are doing so because of anti-Cold Steel feelings, or Spyderco fanboyism?

Whether anyone says they prefer the Endura or the Broken Skull is opinion; nothing more, nothing less. And amazingly enough, people can have different experiences and opinions. The OP asked a question and people are giving answers. Like I said above, I own both and prefer the Endura. You prefer the Broken Skull.

There is no "oppressor-victim" scenario when it comes to people who happen to prefer the Endura over the Broken Skull.

Jim

Last edited:
I propose that people who support the broken skull party only do so because it makes them feel better about themselves. If they had confidence in themselves the Endura would be the obvious choice.

I don't get this. Are you saying people who prefer the Endura are doing so because of anti-Cold Steel feelings, or Spyderco fanboyism?

Whether anyone says they prefer the Endura or the Broken Skull is opinion; nothing more, nothing less. And amazingly enough, people can have different experiences and opinions. The OP asked a question and people are giving answers. Like I said above, I own both and prefer the Endura. You prefer the Broken Skull.

There is no "oppressor-victim" scenario when it comes to people who happen to prefer the Endura over the Broken Skull.

Jim

I read "Endura because Spyderco makes knives" and "Cold Steel BS (B*** S***)" amongst others. My post was accurate.

Measuring knife vs knife, you have:

XHP vs VG-10
G10 vs FRN
Triad vs Standard Backlock
3.1 oz vs 3.6 oz
4" blade vs 3.75" blade
3.5 mm thick blade vs 3 mm thick blade.

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. With that, the Broken skull, while boasting materials and features of modern knives (pocket clip, thumb stud, Triad Lock, DLC) still has the classical styling of a traditional Texas Jack Knife. I would say that it has an exponentially more attractive silhouette than the Endura. Also a much better blade to handle ratio.

From a pure strength, performance, materials and ease of carry perspective, the Broken Skull eats the Endura's lunch.

I own both knives. The Endura 4 sits in its box, and has not been carried in years.

I propose that people who support the broken skull party only do so because it makes them feel better about themselves. If they had confidence in themselves the Endura would be the obvious choice.

Sure, because a heavier, bulkier edc with inferior steel and handle material is the obvious choice.

Just like people how a '71 Mustang II would be the obvious choice over a '71 Chevelle in a Muscle Car debate.

Look, there are cold steel knives I like and own. Don't speak for us when you say we recommend Spyderco because of politics or a lack of self worth that material things boosts.

If I didn't believe that the spyderco was a better knife I wouldn't recommend it. All of us have given reasons we consider legitimate why we consider the Endura the superior choice.

I would not recommend a worse knife to a fellow blade lover in order to stroke my own ego or satisfy some weird urge to market Spydercos on the company's behalf.

Totally explains why you called the Broken Skull "bull s***)

Back