1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Should I get Spyderco Endura or Cold Steel Broken skull?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by lonestar1979, Dec 10, 2016.

1. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007

All this ,plus you have already had an endura...love and have both and i prefer the BS just a little

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  2. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Yes, there were some derisive comments about the Broken Skull, but not everyone who favors the Endura says negative things about the Broken Skull. Also, the post that mentioned that Spyderco makes knives is actually true. CS has all their knives made for them, but does not actually make any knives in a production facility of their own like Spyderco does in their Golden facility (even though the Endura itself is not made there).

Given all those stats, it all still comes down to personal preference. If the Endura works 'better' for me, then obviously all the stats in the world don't change that. Admittedly, I do like Spyderco knives better than Cold Steel's, but if I thought a given CS knife is better FOR ME, I'll say so. I know that CS sells good knives that work very well. They just don't seem to "grow on me" or feel as good in carry and use like some others. For me it has to do with the knives themselves, not company loyalty. Even though Spyderco's knives are in my top three of user category, I'll have criticisms of any brand's knife (or service experience) if I feel it's warranted.

The difference between CS Broken Skull and Spyderco Endura for me: personal taste.

Jim

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  3. AlpacaWrangler

AlpacaWrangler

Aug 20, 2013
    I've had an endura a few times before. It never connected with me. I'd try the broken skull.

4. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    Endura is a very good knife,period! Only flaw I see is its little overpriced for what it is,had one some time ago but lost it.I might get it again,and do full regrind on it as I did before with my old one.f I needed hard use knife Id always pick Cold Steel,but i NEED LIGHT edc,type blade just for cutting.Linerless endura ffg with s30v,cts-xhp or even 12c27 sandvik would be my dream knife.I like endura for ease of deployement,carry,coolnes factor(different colors), and blade shape and opening hole.Ill get endura,or al mar eagle lightweight ,even though in my opinion Cold Steel makes better and stronger knife for price.Endura with cts-xhp and linerless g10 scales would be awesome knife lol!

5. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Endura with zdp 189 steel is a fine knife and was my edc for about 2 years. The Broken Skull is stronger with great steel and lightweight. I wish that it was available without the dlc coating.
    Recommend trying the BS if you ve already tried an Endura.

6. CaveGladium

CaveGladium

Dec 2, 2016
    I would be inclined to get the Endura 4 in ZDP189 it is a awesome knife.
    That steel is just hard as nails and if you can put a good edge on it you can just keep it sharp with a strop love the ZDP189

7. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I was just joking, thought it was funny. Didn't mean to offend anyone. Infact I think they are both fine knives however I obviously think the Endura is better, or I wouldn't recommend it.

When you line up the stats of the Endura vs the Broken Skull and say that the BS comes ontop that is again only a matter of opinion. A thicker blade isn't necessarily better nor is a longer blade. Honestly I think the Endura makes a nicer knife for EDC. And while I won't argue the triad lock is not stronger than the Endura's lock; the Endura's lock is rated by Spyderco as heavy duty. That is one rating lower than their MBC locks. Infact they are reliable enough to be recommended by Michael Janich as an effective lock for a tactical knife.

8. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I choose the ZDP Endura because Sal's the man:cool:

9. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I would choose the Endura (preferably in ZDP189) and many other knives before I'd choose the Broken Skull. The Tri-Ad lock is so overbuilt it is hard to operate normally, even worse when trying to one-hand it. All that stubbornness in a lock when I don't ever need a lock that strong makes it so that I don't even consider any CS knife if it has the Tri-Ad lock, the back-lock on the Spyderco is easier to use and just as unbreakable as the Tri-Ad for all normal use. The Spyderco also carries the benefit of being made by a company that has earned my respect and makes knives I would be proud to own(my personal opinion, anyway).

I would choose the Stretch over the Endura, but that's a personal preference in design.

10. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah... CS too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only if Mercedes is that:
    [​IMG]

And Kia:
    [​IMG]

Man, That G-10 is stronger than that plastic handle with soft liners in Endura. In many knives liners are just unnecessary. Broken Skull is slicer, no need for liners. I wish that Spyderco could do more non-full liners knives, like they did in the past. Now everything must have full thick liners without any logical explanation. It's still only folding knife.

11. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    By that logic, you wouldn't need a Tri-Ad lock either...seeing as it's only a folding, slicing knife. ;)

12. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Cold Steel contracts out to various manufacturers who make their knives for them, but they do not have their own manufacturing facility to make their own knives. Spyderco contracts out too, but they also have their own production facility in Golden, Colorado where they make their own U.S. knives. I actually explained this a few posts ago.

BTW, this is not an anti-CS post.

Jim

13. kurt6652

kurt6652

Dec 9, 2008
    The broken skull once broken in, is as easy to open and close as any of my three enduras.

14. mwhich50

mwhich50 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 18, 2011
    The blue/orange Enduras are easy first picks for me. VG-10 is still a premium steel, IMO. I don't "hard use" my knives, so the overbuilt Cold Steel construction isn't necessary for my needs. If they produced a stonewashed/blackwashed version of the broken skull with a normal (smaller) logo I think I would purchase one tomorrow. I am more than happy to wait. :rolleyes:

15. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    If I buy a knife I expect it to function right away. Having a 'break in' period is why I never kept a CS knife more than a few weeks, I gave different models ample time to win me over, never happened. Spydercos have worked from day one, every model I've owned, and that makes all the difference. I don't need an overbuilt lock because I use my knives like a reasonable person and thus don't really need a lock at all, so if the lock on a knife makes it hard to function, I don't buy it.

16. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    No they dont. Nothing.

17. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree. Spyderco is a manufacturer. Employing hundreds of great americans. But not every manufacturer appeals to all budgets here in the usa. CS has succeeded in this market.

18. kurt6652

kurt6652

Dec 9, 2008
    Every knife I have owned required a period of use to break in. My Chapparal was as hard or as harder to open and close when new as my broken skull.

19. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    Didn't read the whole thread. The broken skull is superior in my opinion. Solid is the word for it. You can't beat the triad and g10 scales. Not to mention the steel. The only things to get over are the brand, name and lettering on the blade.

jux t likes this.
  20. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    Now they have American made model 4-Max. Both companies have deals in China, Taiwan, both have employers in USA also Cold Steel doesn't have problem with recommending Spyderco sharpening systems to use on their knives. Meat used in their videos they send to homeless shelter.

And thanks to that their knives are cheaper without loosing quality. World isn't ending on USA. For some people $30-50 difference in price is big deal.

Stronger lock - less blade play after some time. Spyderco back lock I had showed vertical blade play after some time without abuse. Be honest, if Spyderco or Benchmade invented triadlock no one would complain.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016