1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Should I get Spyderco Endura or Cold Steel Broken skull?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by lonestar1979, Dec 10, 2016.

1. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    This. I'd take the Endura FFG all day against the hollow grind.

2. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
  3. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
  4. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
  5. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I think that the Endura with the wave mod is easily the best choice. That's just my opinion. I've only handled a CS BS, the Endura I've owned several. Honestly for me I think having the ability to wave a knife open makes that blade a way better choice. I find so much utility is added by being able to access a blade this way. Especially for self defense purposes. Plus it makes an excellent cap lifter.

I don't know these are all just reasons I can think of why I prefer the Endura as a knife. CS is putting out some of its best stuff right now though so it's a tough call. Enduras come in FFG, sabre, and waved models. That maybe would also affect one's decision. From what I understand both will honour their warranty.

Ultimately it is a hard choice. That's probably why we were asked our opinions.

6. kurt6652

kurt6652

Dec 9, 2008
    I own both knives, the flat ground broken skull has thicker blade stock, but it is thinner behind the edge. I think you have to use both knives or own them to make a case for which one slices better.

7. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    The (ugh) Broken Skull is also FFG with a thinner edge. And given that the coating is DLC, the friction from isn't a factor in the least. I like Spyderco much better than Cold Steel, the Endura is an absolutely classic design with loads going for it, but given that I own both I honestly have to say that, dollar for dollar, the BS is the better buy from a pure utility perspective. The main benefit my Endura has over it is the pocket clip and that I prefer an opening hole to a thumbstud. Other than that, I hate to say it, but the BS is simply the better knife.

8. Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    You need to do a bit more research on this. Top notch kitchen slicers tend to have a mild convex or chisel grind.

9. craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Is the convex the primary grind or on the edge? I hear you on the Chisel though. I dislike Chisel grinds on most knives but my favorite kitchen knife is chisel ground.

10. Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    Primary, usually, to help keep food from sticking to the blade is the explanation I've heard.

11. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Interesting thread. (Yes, I read it all). I would chime in to say that I was impressed with the civility of the discussion. Nicely done. I've know Lynn for a long time, more than 30 years. Wile we don't always agree, like Spyderco, he does make good quality knives. Both Spyderco and Cold Steel have always try to improve their knives. They both use good steels and they both try hard to please their customers. Each model has advantages and disadvantages. As mentioned, personal preference is more of a factor. Thanx for the kind words bout us,.

sal

12. jazub

jazub Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Highlight of blade. No coating "friction" issues. After break-in, blade drops freely with no play in any direction.

[​IMG]

13. NonDairy

NonDairy

Sep 19, 2011
    Boker Patriot is in this realm too. I know you didn't mention it OP but it is a real contender. Out of the two you mentioned I would go with a ZDP Endura though.

14. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    My wife's thumb isn't overly fond of the Endura, she just about took the top of it right off. That thing is a scalpel with some wipes on a Sharpmaker. :eek: Both great knives but all that logo writing on the skull is a bit of a turn off.

15. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    The BS would be my choice if I were to choose between the 2.

I have a good bit more Spyderco knives than Cold Steel but CS does excel in some areas where Spyderco excels in others.
    I've yet to get the BS but I do want to try one soon.
    The Endura is a flat out great knife, I have a Super Blue,Hap40, and a waved vg10, but the BS reads on paper to be a better value.

It is nice to see CS putting out a knife of this quality and value.

16. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    The BS was at Bladehq for 45 dollars for a good while. Then a member here bought 3 of them and told them, he didn't know how they sold them so cheaply and they promptly changed the price to over 80 dollars.

17. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Whoever did that was pretty self-centered, if that was the reason they upped the price.

I was lucky enough to get mine at the $45 price. Mine has the brown handle. And while I've already said that I prefer the Endura over it, IMO the BS is the best knife I've ever handled from CS, and I own a bunch, mostly from the '90s and early 2K. It's not hard to operate like my one other Triad lock was OOB. My main gripe about it is the pocket clip. For me that clip shreds the pockets and is nearly unusable. When I do carry the BS, I carry it down in pocket like a traditional pocket knife; it's light and thin enough for that. In use, it's actually a very good knife; I just like the FFG Endura better.

*edit to add:
    IMO, pocket clip design/pocket-friendly is something that CS really needs to work on.

Jim

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  18. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    He showed the invoice and he'd written, something on it about he didn't know how they sold them so cheaply. Right after they upped the price to the same 83 dollars or so, as the other dealers.

19. Bill1170

Bill1170 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The thumb stud opener is the main thing keeping me from owning more Cold Steel folders. I prefer the opening hole very strongly, to the extent that many excellent knives are a no go for me. I just know they won't get carried much if I do buy them. It was heartening to read that the Triad lock breaks in eventually. The one I had was extremely difficult to unlock. I'm glad to know they aren't all that way; it is a brilliant locking mechanism.

20. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr

Jan 6, 2012
    Never owned a Broken Skull although I dig the color combos. I have owned a few Endura models and always seem to gravitate towards them. I do wish Spyderco would upgrade the standard steel offering on the base model. I like how the Endura rides in the pocket cause of the thin profile and the traction on the FRN scales are a plus too. I imagine the Broken Skull rides equally as well although if the pocket clips are as hard as the rest of Coldsteels models it will be tough for a bit to put it in one's pocket at least till the clip either relaxes a bit or the G10/pocket clip combination eats the material down on your pockets. I'm not bashing Coldsteel mind you as I own a couple myself. My suggestion? Buy both, try em out out and either sell the one you don't like or do like I usually do and pass it on to a friend or loved one. Merry Christmas to you.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk