Should I get Spyderco Endura or Cold Steel Broken skull?

Obviously, since the BS is hollow ground. The Endura has thinner blade stock and I'd argue that it has better geometry for slicing.

A hollow grind can choke up when the material you're cutting starts to glide along the flats.

This. I'd take the Endura FFG all day against the hollow grind.

I think that the Endura with the wave mod is easily the best choice. That's just my opinion. I've only handled a CS BS, the Endura I've owned several. Honestly for me I think having the ability to wave a knife open makes that blade a way better choice. I find so much utility is added by being able to access a blade this way. Especially for self defense purposes. Plus it makes an excellent cap lifter.

I don't know these are all just reasons I can think of why I prefer the Endura as a knife. CS is putting out some of its best stuff right now though so it's a tough call. Enduras come in FFG, sabre, and waved models. That maybe would also affect one's decision. From what I understand both will honour their warranty.

Ultimately it is a hard choice. That's probably why we were asked our opinions.

Obviously, since the BS is hollow ground. The Endura has thinner blade stock and I'd argue that it has better geometry for slicing.

A hollow grind can choke up when the material you're cutting starts to glide along the flats.

I own both knives, the flat ground broken skull has thicker blade stock, but it is thinner behind the edge. I think you have to use both knives or own them to make a case for which one slices better.

Side note: for all those who are trying to sell the BS as the better slicer, you do know that the Endura comes in a FFG setup which is just a slicey (if not slicier) than the BS, without all that blade coating to cause friction.

The (ugh) Broken Skull is also FFG with a thinner edge. And given that the coating is DLC, the friction from isn't a factor in the least. I like Spyderco much better than Cold Steel, the Endura is an absolutely classic design with loads going for it, but given that I own both I honestly have to say that, dollar for dollar, the BS is the better buy from a pure utility perspective. The main benefit my Endura has over it is the pocket clip and that I prefer an opening hole to a thumbstud. Other than that, I hate to say it, but the BS is simply the better knife.

My FFG Sog Aegis was a better slicer than my hollow-ground Recon 1, and my FFG Delica beat both of them for top slicer I've owned.

thickness behind the edge meant nothing to me at the time, the FFG just sliced better than the hollow because it's a better slicing geometry. Kitchen knives designed for slicing are almost universally flat ground for the good ones.

You need to do a bit more research on this. Top notch kitchen slicers tend to have a mild convex or chisel grind.

You need to do a bit more research on this. Top notch kitchen slicers tend to have a mild convex or chisel grind.

Is the convex the primary grind or on the edge? I hear you on the Chisel though. I dislike Chisel grinds on most knives but my favorite kitchen knife is chisel ground.

Is the convex the primary grind or on the edge? I hear you on the Chisel though. I dislike Chisel grinds on most knives but my favorite kitchen knife is chisel ground.

Primary, usually, to help keep food from sticking to the blade is the explanation I've heard.

Interesting thread. (Yes, I read it all). I would chime in to say that I was impressed with the civility of the discussion. Nicely done. I've know Lynn for a long time, more than 30 years. Wile we don't always agree, like Spyderco, he does make good quality knives. Both Spyderco and Cold Steel have always try to improve their knives. They both use good steels and they both try hard to please their customers. Each model has advantages and disadvantages. As mentioned, personal preference is more of a factor. Thanx for the kind words bout us,.

sal

Highlight of blade. No coating "friction" issues. After break-in, blade drops freely with no play in any direction.

31331858910_56372b615b_h.jpg

Boker Patriot is in this realm too. I know you didn't mention it OP but it is a real contender. Out of the two you mentioned I would go with a ZDP Endura though.

My wife's thumb isn't overly fond of the Endura, she just about took the top of it right off. That thing is a scalpel with some wipes on a Sharpmaker. :eek: Both great knives but all that logo writing on the skull is a bit of a turn off.

The BS would be my choice if I were to choose between the 2.

I have a good bit more Spyderco knives than Cold Steel but CS does excel in some areas where Spyderco excels in others.
I've yet to get the BS but I do want to try one soon.
The Endura is a flat out great knife, I have a Super Blue,Hap40, and a waved vg10, but the BS reads on paper to be a better value.

It is nice to see CS putting out a knife of this quality and value.

The BS was at Bladehq for 45 dollars for a good while. Then a member here bought 3 of them and told them, he didn't know how they sold them so cheaply and they promptly changed the price to over 80 dollars.

The BS was at Bladehq for 45 dollars for a good while. Then a member here bought 3 of them and told them, he didn't know how they sold them so cheaply and they promptly changed the price to over 80 dollars.

Whoever did that was pretty self-centered, if that was the reason they upped the price.

I was lucky enough to get mine at the $45 price. Mine has the brown handle. And while I've already said that I prefer the Endura over it, IMO the BS is the best knife I've ever handled from CS, and I own a bunch, mostly from the '90s and early 2K. It's not hard to operate like my one other Triad lock was OOB. My main gripe about it is the pocket clip. For me that clip shreds the pockets and is nearly unusable. When I do carry the BS, I carry it down in pocket like a traditional pocket knife; it's light and thin enough for that. In use, it's actually a very good knife; I just like the FFG Endura better.

*edit to add:
IMO, pocket clip design/pocket-friendly is something that CS really needs to work on.

Jim

Last edited:
He showed the invoice and he'd written, something on it about he didn't know how they sold them so cheaply. Right after they upped the price to the same 83 dollars or so, as the other dealers.

The thumb stud opener is the main thing keeping me from owning more Cold Steel folders. I prefer the opening hole very strongly, to the extent that many excellent knives are a no go for me. I just know they won't get carried much if I do buy them. It was heartening to read that the Triad lock breaks in eventually. The one I had was extremely difficult to unlock. I'm glad to know they aren't all that way; it is a brilliant locking mechanism.

Never owned a Broken Skull although I dig the color combos. I have owned a few Endura models and always seem to gravitate towards them. I do wish Spyderco would upgrade the standard steel offering on the base model. I like how the Endura rides in the pocket cause of the thin profile and the traction on the FRN scales are a plus too. I imagine the Broken Skull rides equally as well although if the pocket clips are as hard as the rest of Coldsteels models it will be tough for a bit to put it in one's pocket at least till the clip either relaxes a bit or the G10/pocket clip combination eats the material down on your pockets. I'm not bashing Coldsteel mind you as I own a couple myself. My suggestion? Buy both, try em out out and either sell the one you don't like or do like I usually do and pass it on to a friend or loved one. Merry Christmas to you.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Back