1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Should I get Spyderco Endura or Cold Steel Broken skull?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by lonestar1979, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I'd say that. I've had two of their liner less g10 tried locks. I've also had the voyager series. I would purchase either over another Spyderco.

I guess it depends on what universe a person lives in.

2. rje58

rje58 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I own both CS and Spydercos, and generally speaking, I like the Spydercos better and use them more than I do my CS knives.

That said, I'm trying to imagine a universe where sweeping generalizations that don't take into account the literally hundreds or thousands of variables of a given decision are a better choice than well-thought out, reasoned statements. I am not being successful.

3. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I am trying to imagine a place where people don't impose their personal opinion as fact, but I haven't been successful.

4. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    A universe like that would implode before life ever got established. :D

5. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I guess I am not the only one who thought the initials BS are funny. I agree with the post before this one though. Everything posted as advice here is just opinion. The raw honest truth is they are both fine knives that will serve the OP well and probably exceed his expectations. Still the whole point of this thread was to get opinions. Some people have pointed out the advantages of one knife, some have spoken on the advanges of the other. Ultimately OP will have to weigh his options and decide for himself.

6. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2005
    I agree, it's a folder.

I have both, Endura is a better knife. better in the hand, better blade shape, much better (actually functional) pocket clip, better opening.

7. wesmanthetiger

wesmanthetiger

Apr 28, 2015
    Can you say "Fan Boy?". I say that because a normal person starts with "That hasn't been my experience", not "YOURE WRONG!!!". Most of The knives you listed have steel liners. The triad lock is not infallible. It's meant to be the strongest on the blade axis, but side to side it's vulnerable. I have damaged a Voyager to see what they can take so yes I've hard used them. It took a lot, mind you. More than any other knife brand I've owned, but basic physics says that FRN/G10 is not stronger that steel liners with G10/FRN. I DO like the Lone Star original BS knife. Now that is overbuilt in a good way. Top left in my pic. Oh BTW do look at the rest of my box. I'm not a CS Noob and I have enjoyed knives from throughout their product timelines (I have many more not pictured). My AK has also been beat to hell and is still going strong.

Edit: I believe the Recon series does not have liners, but do have very thick G10 scales unlike the BS. The original AK like mine had liners, but the newer one may not. It does however also have very thick G10. The BS is much thinner and no liners so I stick to my concern about side to side vulnerability. It is my opinion based on my experience, so I don't claim to be right or wrong.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  8. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    I admit i did smirk a bit when you called me a fanboy, thanks for the laugh :) you also just said the knives i listed have steel liners? The knives i listed were the recon and AK47, both have no liners, or are you just assuming we're all still using cold steels ancient models that had liners? I understand what you're saying, but you need to realise when a knife has FRN/G10 with steel liners they are extremely skeletonised handles to fit those thin little soft steel liners in the recess of that handle. It's not thick G10 slabs as well as a fairly thick tough steel liner slapped on top of it. The slabs of G10 in a new AK or recon are stronger than the FRN with thin steel liner recessed in the handle, such as in an Endura. Under lateral force a think steel liner will deform and bend much sooner than a thick slab of G10 with a fairly thick pivot pin like on CS knives, that's just a fact i'm afraid. Look we can debate this all day so lets just not, both knives will last if you use them like knives.

9. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    Broken skull is for sure better knife,in my opinion,but do not like the coated blade with broken skull logo,and like the blade shape of endura better.Broken skull is stronger in my opinion,triad lock is awesome.

10. rje58

rje58 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    That is actually very close to what I was attempting to say. The one minor modification I personally would make would be to substitute the word "present" for the word "impose". Nobody can impose anything on us just by making a statement, unless we let them.

I'm referring to forum users, of course, not somebody like a president or dictator who can impose by executive order, privilege or fiat.

11. ursamajor

ursamajor

Oct 27, 2010
    The Broken Skull is an updated Lone Star Hunter. It's lock is WAAAY easier to actuate than the LSH, or even the Mackinac Hunter, out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I had Lone star hunter,and its an excellent very strong knife,better value than endura in my opinion,but I still like endura better, ease of opening and out of pocket draw is easier with endura and very fast!

13. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    Can't get a white Endura, can you? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    Whiter than that grey BS.

[​IMG]

15. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    LOL that is excellent.

16. KingMC

KingMC The Pun-isher Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Well done. :thumbup:

17. KingMC

Jul 25, 2014
    Side note: for all those who are trying to sell the BS as the better slicer, you do know that the Endura comes in a FFG setup which is just a slicey (if not slicier) than the BS, without all that blade coating to cause friction.

18. kurt6652

kurt6652

Dec 9, 2008
    the broken skull is thinner behind the edge than the ffg endura.

19. Blues Bender

Blues Bender Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Obviously, since the BS is hollow ground. The Endura has thinner blade stock and I'd argue that it has better geometry for slicing.

A hollow grind can choke up when the material you're cutting starts to glide along the flats.

20. KingMC

Jul 25, 2014
    My FFG Sog Aegis was a better slicer than my hollow-ground Recon 1, and my FFG Delica beat both of them for top slicer I've owned.

thickness behind the edge meant nothing to me at the time, the FFG just sliced better than the hollow because it's a better slicing geometry. Kitchen knives designed for slicing are almost universally flat ground for the good ones.