Should PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales?

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by markksr, Aug 8, 2013.

Should the PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales here at Bladeforums?

1. Yes, continue to allow it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, there should be a rule against it.

100.0%
  1. lwsii

lwsii

Mar 23, 2001
    glad for that thread 'bump', I read all thru this and figured I was going to be kind of late for the party.

Too many rules, just use common sense,post your price, negotiate the details privately, if you can't come to terms, no problem, some one else will or they won't. My personal opinion is adding back pay pal fees is kind of pissy, but if that's how they want to do it, and you want it, well...I've had more than one knife sent to me to peruse & either send a check or the knife back (as a matter of fact, that's how I was converted from lockbacks to linerlocks many years ago) and of course we had done business before. I've sent a couple out for perusal, it all depends on the deal, the circumstances, individuals, etc., but rules shouldn't be used as an excuse against common sense. But 'gifting' payment just doesn't sound right, I mean if the parties are tight enough to not worry about protection, his knife and your check can cross in the mail and see what issues develop then. or not. so i vote yes, but I don't see ever doing it personally, your business is your business.

2. Displaced Buckeye

Displaced Buckeye

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree with this. A seller can choose whatever terms they like. I can also choose not to accept them and move on. I don't buy from people that say "Gift Only" and I usually look past people that require you to add the fee into the price, "Net to them", unless it's something I really want. Do the math yourself and add that into the price you're asking. Like I said, they have their choices and I have mine.

3. Bastid

Bastid Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder. Staff Member Super Mod

Feb 27, 2001
    :thumbup: The post below (actually a little above) sums it up for me. When a seller insists on the "gift" option right or wrong, I do not draw a good conclusion about their character.

4. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    I just don't know how to say it any better than Rhinoman.........

Not to mention Brisket......

5. Mike G

Mike G

Jul 15, 2000
    While I have stated that it isn't our job to enforce Paypal's rules, and I stand by that, I think if we were to not allow the gift option, should we also not allow anyone to add a 3.5%, or any fee for using Paypal?

Rhinoman is correct; we all agreed to Paypal's rules when we use their service. Using the gift option , AND charging a fee for using Paypal is against their TOS.

Follow their rules, or find another method. Pretty simple. Bladeforums staff have enough to do without having to try and enforce Paypal's TOS.

6. SaintlyBrees

SaintlyBrees

May 7, 2013
    Perfect. BF cannot force people to follow paypal's rules, but they DO have a say over what is or is not posted here. The rule quoted above reflects this perfectly.

Yep. Keep it simple, just include the fees in your asking price and then everyone is on a level playing field.

7. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    I would not use the gift option, nor would I deal with anyone who asked me to do so for a purchase. It's dishonest.

This site should not promote dishonesty. Using the gift option should not be allowed.

8. Daniel Dorn

Daniel Dorn Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 21, 1999
    FYI, I payed using the gift option for something yesterday, and I got charged a 3.5% (+/-) fee for sending a Gift.

So, Paypal has found a way to get their money, either way. I don't think it will bother them too much, now that they get the money either coming or going.

I do think it's cheap to add on a "3% if payed by paypal" fee to a sale, as it just seems wrong. The convenience of paypal more than makes up for any fees they might incure. And I cringed a little, both times I've paid by "Gift." It just doesn't sit right with me.

9. FLymon

FLymon Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2006
    From your PayPal balance, bank account, or credit card?

10. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    I think by doing away with the paypal gift option on BF it would save a lot of head ache. How many "I've been ripped off " threads have you read where the OP fesses up around post 12 that he or she has contacted paypal and asked them to do something to help them BUT they used "GIFT" and now they are SOL.

11. mykel m

mykel m Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Yes,please put the wording in the rules that neither is allowed in sales threads.

If either are allowed/not prohibited in the rules due to lack of wording,then it appears to be condoned and the offenders are going to keep asking for the % & the gift option & putting buyers at risk.

The rules are in place to protect the seller by not posting anything negative in their sale thread/interfering with a sale,so why not protect buyers by not allowing sellers to put 'em at risk by requiring payment by the gift option?

I could care less whether or not Paypal gets their cut,but BF should protect buyers the way it protects sellers IMO.

After saying that ^,I admit I never read the TOS for PP & asked for 3.5% when I first went gold & started selling,(because that's what I saw most other sellers doing at the time)but I have since changed my evil ways after reading complaints in the GB&U about sellers asking for a percentage and or requiring the gift option for payment.

I have also paid by gift (without being asked) for inexpensive items & received payment by gift even though I didn't ask for it.
    I considered it an act of kindness,not a way to cheat PP.

Sellers that constantly ask for a percentage and or gift option should know better,but there is no rule here against either so why should they stop if they don't have a conscience about it?
    If there isn't a rule against it,it must be condoned right?

12. pbcg

pbcg

Oct 20, 2009
    I completely agree! :thumbup:

13. Displaced Buckeye

Displaced Buckeye

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think the forum should need to enforce these rules. As I said before, any time I see gift only or add fees, I move on.

14. abarnhart

abarnhart

Apr 3, 2006
    I would say leave it, because I love reading about people who rip themselves off using it in TGTBTU. :D

Seriously, it is fundamentally dishonest and only saves a few bucks. Not worth the hassle. Banning it would have to reduce the midst workload some.

15. richard thurman

richard thurman

Nov 9, 2005
    I say just don't use paypal at all. I send us postal money order. I can use paypal to send money but not to receive it.

16. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    That's an easy way to get ripped off, just like using gift.

17. dericdesmond

dericdesmond

Sep 10, 2007
    IDK, using a federal made $ order and being a thieve is probably not a good combo then again Ive never dealt with the situation.

Point blank, accepting gift payment the way most do here is against paypals policy, ban it. I never request it but Id be a liar if I said ive not taken it, often times people send it without asking. Sometimes Im helping a friend buy a valuable knife at a show and in order to be paid for proxying, I dont really want to have to pay taxes since I myself exceed the paypal threshold and have to pay taxes at years end & am not making a cent on the deal.

I myself am gonna buy if the price is right so I could care less but with so many others who simply look the other way when they see the "net to me" "add xxx% for fees" is it really worth it? Losing potential sales over being prideful or too lazy to do a 3 second math equation is truly lame when you consider the potential butt hurt it creates within thoughs against it. A slight modification in your rule breaking ways and everyone will be 1 big happy family :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  18. Ken44

Ken44

Jun 29, 2005
    I would never use it, but still think it needs to be banned now.
    Quit a few burned in this recent thread because of the gift option. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1109739-Concerns-re-ssbood-(David)

From viewing the poll it seems that most all would like to see the option done away with.
    It wouldn't be hard to inforce, and other forums do it. It would protect many of our members.

Just like with the no comments in a sales thread rule years ago, people learned pretty quick once they started getting warnings and then infractions.
    This would be much more easy to stop than that was, and it would be something that actually helps keep our members from being ripped off.

I know the sales mods have a tough job as is, but this is very important I feel. Maybe a new temporary mod could be made to check just this one thing until people learn not to do it. I don't want to do it, but if no one else will do it I'll volunteer.

19. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    Back to page 1...

20. richard thurman

richard thurman

Nov 9, 2005
    please how would you expect to enforce this ban?? the mods are over worked as it is in my view and now you want to put this on them too?? I think the person doing the deal needs to make up his own mind. but if you have another view then please tell me. I would love to here it.