Show and Tell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Master Ki is following this thread? The other day I sent him an email asking about Samurai Steel and a particular knife that is pictured on his website. The reason that I am wondering if he is following this thread is that his response seemed to be a little terse. All he wrote was that Samurai Steel could cut 16 ropes while one three time ABS cutting champion's knife had only cut through 1 rope each time. His response concerning the knife...he stated that it was in a museum and one like it would cost $2800.00 with a Samurai Steel blade. That's it, that's all he wrote. He offered no further information at all. Maybe it is just that Master Ki is a man of few words, but he seemed almost perturbed by my questions.

Keith Montgomery said:
I wonder if Master Ki is following this thread? The other day I sent him an email asking about Samurai Steel and a particular knife that is pictured on his website. The reason that I am wondering if he is following this thread is that his response seemed to be a little terse. All he wrote was that Samurai Steel could cut 16 ropes while one three time ABS cutting champion's knife had only cut through 1 rope each time. His response concerning the knife...he stated that it was in a museum and one like it would cost $2800.00 with a Samurai Steel blade. That's it, that's all he wrote. He offered no further information at all. Maybe it is just that Master Ki is a man of few words, but he seemed almost perturbed by my questions.

Hmmm. Sounds like a good way to make a sale to me :rolleyes: . I really like the looks of his knives. I would love to get the chance to handle one. That being said there is no way in heck that I would think of buying a knife from a maker who will not even tell me what steel he used to make the knife. I can uderstand not sharing something like heat treatment info if you had a special process, like Howard Clark does with his L6 bainite swords. Not naming the steel make it seem like he is hiding something.

"I would like to address all the hysteria over Dom and 5 other men who could not cut one rope with ANY of the three knives submitted for testing.
Did none of you notice that in the last two competitions, Big John TRIED to cut two? Could only cut one. ONE! The 4 inch sharp clip on my small Merc will cut one. As big as John is he should be able to SLAP one rope in-half! Now that's pathetic!" Master Shiva Ki.

Not sure what Master of Shiva Ki is but I can personally attest to the fact that John Fitch is anything but pathetic in a cutting competition. Not sure that calling folks pathetic is a way to win friends or influence people either. Not every knife maker is a great person and not every knife maker is on the internet on a regular basis, matter of fact-- I am uncertain why Mr. Ki would single out big John for such derision. That type of disrepectful attitude becomes irredeemable at a certain point. Ask other makers on the web who have decided to show the same. Sales and respect will falter. Good luck.

-Sam.

He makes a good knife, but making personal attacks against respected makers is not going to make any friends for him.

Gee. What a class act. :rolleyes:

James -why would you want to be a party to this?

Roger

James Falor said:
"I would like to address all the hysteria over Dom and 5 other men who could not cut one rope with ANY of the three knives submitted for testing.
Did none of you notice that in the last two competitions, Big John TRIED to cut two? Could only cut one. ONE! The 4 inch sharp clip on my small Merc will cut one. As big as John is he should be able to SLAP one rope in-half! Now that's pathetic!
" Master Shiva Ki.

Good, good.... Now, when was the last time we say Jerry Fisk, Ron Newton, Don Fogg, Howard Clark, Rob Hudson, Kevin Cashen, etc, etc, sign an email "Master so-and-so"? Let me think? How about never? :rolleyes: :D :footinmou

That has to be like the worst e-mail ever. What I find amusing is that no one at any point questioned the cutting ability of his knives. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Big John is being attacked by these guys because he has won so many cutting competitions and received a lot of press for it.

This has been quite entertaining :D
I wonder if Shivas sales will go up or down :)

Don Hanson lll

sunfishman said:
Big John is being attacked by these guys because he has won so many cutting competitions and received a lot of press for it.

This has been quite entertaining :D
I wonder if Shivas sales will go up or down :)

Don Hanson lll

Well, I can tell you for sure of one person who will not be buying anything from him.

All in all, a most interesting thread.......oh, to be a fly on the "Master's" wall!

Larry S.

First of all, the "Master" name comes from his martial arts training.
Second, a few posters were questioning his samauri steel, if it his secret, then leave him alone. Did you stop eating at KFC because you don't know the secret blend of spices?
I have personally seen Shivas' knives in action and can attest for their cutting ability. There is nothing wrong with a little boasting, if you can stand behind it.

Sorry if my comment came across as derogatory or disrespectful in any sense, I truly was fascinated by the descriptions of Master Ki's blade's abilities and as soon as I get some sleep, I will probably spend too much time trying to find out all the internet holds concerning him and his work.
...and I knew where Master came from... :)
Thanks to all especially Jim for starting the thread to show us knives he is proud of!

Larry S.

dredd8 said:
...a few posters were questioning his samauri steel, if it his secret, then leave him alone. Did you stop eating at KFC because you don't know the secret blend of spices?
I have personally seen Shivas' knives in action and can attest for their cutting ability. There is nothing wrong with a little boasting, if you can stand behind it.

Not questioning his Samurai Steel, just want to know a little about it. I don't need for him to go into his eleven secret herbs & spices, but a little info on why using it doubles the price of a knife would be appreciated.

Boasting is fine, insulting other knifemakers to make yourself look good is not.

dredd8 said:
First of all, the "Master" name comes from his martial arts training.

So what? Nobody says it's not legit - that's not the point. I'm just saying it's foolishly vain to sign your own emails with such a title. Have you ever seen Jerry Fisk sign a post or email "Mastersmith & National Treasure"?

Heck, I've got a Master's degree, but it wouldn't ever cross my mind to call myself Master Joss Delage.

Second, a few posters were questioning his samauri steel, if it his secret, then leave him alone. Did you stop eating at KFC because you don't know the secret blend of spices?

There are 2 issues here. First, he has a "secret" process and refuses to give any info on it. Fine, that's his right, although the knife making community has historically be very forthcoming on their techniques. To me, it smells like a cheap marketing gimick, and I suspect he only keep it "secret" because there's nothing behind it. Second, he calls his steel "Samurai" steel and says that it's developed using antique technique from the time of Koto Japanese swords, and I claim this is absolute BS.

I have personally seen Shivas' knives in action and can attest for their cutting ability.

Nobody, in this entire thread, has said anything to the contrary.

There is nothing wrong with a little boasting, if you can stand behind it.

Calling someone "pathetic" is not a little boasting. It's sand-box level foolishness.

Jim started this thread to show off some knives that he has. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on different makers and their products, but when someone tries to insult another persons method of making knives or make fun of someones title, I would stand up and say something just like Master Ki has. Nice knives Jim, you are lucky to own them.

dredd8 said:
Jim started this thread to show off some knives that he has. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on different makers and their products, but when someone tries to insult another persons method of making knives or make fun of someones title, I would stand up and say something just like Master Ki has. Nice knives Jim, you are lucky to own them.

I must have missed where in this thread John Fitch insulted his method of knifemaking or made fun of his title. :rolleyes:

Roger

Joss said:
Second, he calls his steel "Samurai" steel and says that it's developed using antique technique from the time of Koto Japanese swords, and I claim this is absolute BS.

Joss, I really don't know anything about that subject, can you explain why it is B.S.? Just curious :D

Pay attention, I am not talking about John, I am refering to all of the non-believers. I have the utmost respect for John Fitch. I would love to own one of his knives and I will soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back