Show and Tell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see where Joss is coming from, and am a little perturbed by Mr. Ki's marketing techniques. Personaly I don't buy into hype. I don't think there were any mystical magical secrets that have been lost for centuries and rediscovered. Old swords were made to the best of the smiths abilities at the time, place and with the available technology and tools at his disposal. They did an awesome job by any standards, but steel is steel and that is that.

Shiva's knives are great cutters by all accounts, but to throw down a challenge and basicly denounce another makers work is petty at best. If they are that good, and he truly is a "Master", then he should be above all this. I have trained in martial arts most of my life, and one of the key lessons I have learned is humility. As it was said earlier in this thread, it is a "bait and switch" technique designed to belittle any who try to discredit his argument. It's not new or effective. It is childish.

The openly respectable way to prove how much better your knives are is to do so in a competition like the ABS, Spirit of Steel or Knifemakers guild hosts. Meet on an even playing field and see where the chips may fall. If they fall in your favor, do again...and again to prove it wasn't just "your day".

I guess the biggest beef I have with all of this is the singleing out of John Fitch by someone who is in association with a writer who smeared John's name and work in an article in recent months. All of this even though John has not yet won the "World Championship". Seems rather suspicious that there are two crowned World Champs who didn't get mentioned, but John, who happened to have been at odds with "Dom" was basicly ridiculed. I am good friends with John, and it flies all over me that he gets attcked like this when he is the last to denounce anothers ability to cut or make knives. I've never heard anything other than encouragement from John.

And just for the record, I have wittnesed Mr. Fitch cut more rope than any human should in a lifetime. He is good, his knives are good. Very good.

And, just for the record, I have witnessed Big John cutting also. I have watched him cut down small trees with his knives, and he did it in a fraction of the blows that a normal person could.

dredd8 said:
Pay attention, I am not talking about John, I am refering to all of the non-believers. I have the utmost respect for John Fitch. I would love to own one of his knives and I will soon.

You were not talking about John, but it was John that Master Ki decided to insult instead of those "disbelievers" (boy does that ever sound like some sort of cult thing). If he has a problem with what is being posted here then let him come and present his views here amongst the disbelievers so that we can see the light and be converted.

I owned a 4 or 5 of Shiva's knives,Actually all Mercs,But from different times from the early 80's on up.and I've owned knives from some the the greatest knife makers(In my Opinion),Siska,Fitch,Hammond,Hossum,Warenski,Ruana,
Cromwell,Patton,Hibben to name just a few.Some knives from the makers just mentioned were maybe "As Sharp" as Shiva's.But None Were what I considered to be Sharper.A Nick from one of Shiva's knives=5 or 6 stitches.To Date I Have NOT had one knife with a Top edge sharper than ANY of the Merc's I've owned.I would not have a Problem Shelling out $600-$700 for another one of Shiva's Knives.They are Primative in a Cool Looking way,and Extremely Lethal.They are after all Fighters,Not Art Knives.

If You guys think Shiva's prices are high:You're Nuts have you priced a New Fitch Bowie Lately,$1200+ Come On.And if it came down to the point where I was going into a Situation where I needed A Killing Blade,I'd pick up one of Shiva's knives Over Just about Any other knife maker I can think of.I've never owned one of his Spirit blades,But I did see a 9 inch SB slice through a 4-5 inch tree branch in One Stroke.I can afford Shiva's Knives,but Fitches are usually way out of my price range.But I'd buy one of John's knives in a Heartbeat if I could find one that I could afford,and that I like.That's the Cool thing about Custom Knives,every month it seems I find another maker who makes Incredible knives.To me it's not about who makes the "Best" knives,But who makes knives I Like.

I totally agree w/ Buddy S. I should have just posted pics of these two knives and said what they were and that I liked them--I liked them--and left it at that. I know Shiva doesn't mean to disrespect other knifemakers work--he's just VERY confident in what his knives can do and HAVE done. I have had one of Fitch's bowies and I loved it. However, I've sold that one and hung-on to both of Shiva's knives, with NO plans to sell them in the future. Whatever you may think about Master Ki--yeah, he talks the talk--but that's OK if you can walk-the-walk. Least that's the way I feel about it. Kinda the way everyone either loved or hated Ali. He had a BIG mouth but he (as HE said-- SHOOK-UP THE WORLD!! Jim USMC

James Falor said:
I know Shiva doesn't mean to disrespect other knifemakers work--he's just VERY confident in what his knives can do and HAVE done.

It's kind of hard to reconcile that with his comment:"Did none of you notice that in the last two competitions, Big John TRIED to cut two? Could only cut one. ONE! The 4 inch sharp clip on my small Merc will cut one. As big as John is he should be able to SLAP one rope in-half! Now that's pathetic!" The liberal use of block capitals and exclamation marks were, I gather, his own.

His knives may or may not be better than anyone else's. I don't know. Certainly nobody here suggested his knives don't cut well (which gives the endless and repetitive defense of the sharpness and lethality of his knives a hollow, if not comical ring). His knives may in fact kick the a$$ of knives of every other bladesmith on the planet. I don't know.

But I do know that Shiva Ki has, by his own conduct, shown himself to be the Master of the cheap shot. And he needed no help, other than yours in posting his e-mail here on the forums, to establish that.

Roger

Buddy S. said:
If You guys think Shiva's prices are high:You're Nuts have you priced a New Fitch Bowie Lately,$1200+ Come On.And if it came down to the point where I was going into a Situation where I needed A Killing Blade,I'd pick up one of Shiva's knives Over Just about Any other knife maker I can think of.I've never owned one of his Spirit blades,But I did see a 9 inch SB slice through a 4-5 inch tree branch in One Stroke.I can afford Shiva's Knives,but Fitches are usually way out of my price range.But I'd buy one of John's knives in a Heartbeat if I could find one that I could afford,and that I like.That's the Cool thing about Custom Knives,every month it seems I find another maker who makes Incredible knives.To me it's not about who makes the "Best" knives,But who makes knives I Like.
I do not recall anyone here saying Shiva's prices were high ???? mybe I missed something????

Don

sunfishman said:
I do not recall anyone here saying Shiva's prices were high ???? mybe I missed something????

Don

Maybe that has something to do with my comment about Samurai Steel doubling the price of a knife. That comment was not directed at Master Ki's knives being too expensive. All I want to know is why Samurai Steel is so much more expensive than the regular steel he uses.

Another thing to consider is that, there's a whole lot more to what I look for in a custom knife than sharpness. Yes, a high-end knife should indeed be very sharp, most I have seen and owned from Mastersmiths are very sharp, but there's so much more I want, like fit and finish, beautiful materials, lately, I'm into knives with interesting diff temper lines, I realize that Master bater's, er, I mean Master Ki's knives are working knives, and I concede that they're sharp, but honestly, big deal, that's not what I, and many people here on this forum collect, and after reading Ki's somewhat rude responses, I really don't find his knives appealing, and I don't care if his blades can cut through Rosie O'Donnel's calf in one swipe. (Which of course is impossible... )

Fitch's bowies are a little pricey, but they are extremely well made, and the F&F is top notch. Oh, they're pretty sharp too, and so are Fisk's, Dunn's, Crowell's, RJ Martins, Hartsfield, etc...

Also, am I the only one who pictures Ki looking like the Uma's teacher in Kill Bill? :)

dylan_d said:
Hahaha, too funny :D

Actually, I thought the comment about attempting to cut through Rosie Cowdonnell's leg bone was even funnier! :D

Easy to make comments like that from the safety of a PC--LOVE to see you say it to the man's face. In case you haven't read the ENTIRE thread Megadickbyte--OOPS--Megalobyte--or are reading-challenged, MASTER refers to a title someone EARNS after reaching a certain degree of proficiency in one of the martial arts. You can find him down in Baton Rouge, and me--just a old Marine Corps grunt--in Columbus. Come get us! Hahahaha THAT would be FUNNY!! :D :footinmou

I agree with that Danbo BUT it's best not to go throwing around PERSONAL insults towards people who just might ruin your whole freakin' world were that comment made in someplace other than "cyber-space!"

James Falor said:
I agree with that Danbo BUT it's best not to go throwing around PERSONAL insults towards people who just might ruin your whole freakin' world were that comment made in someplace other than "cyber-space!"

??? I'm confused now. Is Rosie gonna come and sit on me, or what? Who's gonna ruin my whole freakin world?

Well, seems to me Master Ki was the first one to make things personal, I don't think anybody would disagree.

As for me, I can take care of myself pretty nicely, no, not with matial arts, but, since I EARNED first place in many IDPA practical shooting competitions, and can shoot circles around all of my law enforcement friends, some of whom teach shooting, and am armed 24/7, well, let's just say it reminds me of the scene in Raiders where the guy with the big sword shows off his skill, only to be shot dead. And, I know of NO "Masters" who brag and display an utter lack of humility. And no, people who walk the walk, do not have the right to be rude and insulting, and, if they are, and others respond in kind, they should be able to hanlde it, right?

Master Ki started the insults by calling a well respected and liked Mastersmith "pathetic", that wasn't a typo, was it? And, we're just following suit, and if you want to come look for me, be my guest, i'm easy to recognize, I'm the guy who's 6'8, 350 lbs with the Glock 17.

6'-8" and 350 lbs, and you still need a Glock to protect yourself. Maybe if you hade one of Shivas' knives you could throw that Glock away.

Only 5 more posts? Well, here's one of them. ;)

Ari, you had better watch out! Beware the Master; as he just might smite you down, by projecting some Chi your direction, and causing your Gall Bladder to stop functioning! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back