Show me your Elephant Toes.

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
I am new to traditional knives. One of the styles that really has me hooked(although I don't have one yet) is the Sunfish/Elephant Toe. Am I nuts?

I have one only so far. It is a Fight'n Rooster. I am meaning to have it rescaled. I bought it on ebay thinking it was bargain for restoration, but it probably will cost more than a nice original. It is a noble cause, and yes you are nuts! You are a knife nut. The celluloid scale is lifting, so it needs to be replaced. The main blade is so tight, it breaks my thumb nail to open it, and the pen blade wobbles. There also is some damage to one of the brass liners, I am not sure what was going on there. I am hoping for a toe nail for Christmas, the Dan Burke one with many lazer etched Queen tang stamps on it.

img293.jpg

This rooster is fat! I put a genuine silver dollar for size reference. I want to score a Case 6250 without the elephant on the blade. I almost got one, slightly outbid. Happy Elephant Hunting, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

CJ

For some reason, I just love the style. I looked at that and thought it was a quarter. Wow.
Merry Christmas to you too sir.

Last edited:
Nice Sunfish. Roughly 2 5/8 inches?

I love this pattern. Unfortunately, my sunfish collection and camera are 400 miles apart at the moment. :eek:

At one time, I had an extensive gathering of Elephant Toes, but for some reason I experienced a shift. :( The only Toes I have left.

Attachments

• My Elephant Toe 1.jpg
    My Elephant Toe 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Elephant Toe 1.jpg
    Elephant Toe 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 104
  • My Case Elephant Toe Red Bone 1.jpg
    My Case Elephant Toe Red Bone 1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 105
  • My Case Elephant Toe Peacock 1.jpg
    My Case Elephant Toe Peacock 1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 109
I am new to traditional knives. One of the styles that really has me hooked(although I don't have one yet) is the Sunfish/Elephant Toe. Am I nuts?

You may be....I sure don't see the attraction, but these managed to follow me home....

toenails.jpg

Does anyone actually carry and use these patterns? I always see them in pristine condition and wondered if they were more collectibles then users.

I will most likely collect more than use, but if I do acquire, I do give them all pocket time.

Here's a 50+ year old Case XX 6250. Given its condition and age, this one stays in the knife case. Sunfish are too heavy and bulky for my EDC needs anyway.

Sunfish01.jpg

Sunfish036a.jpg

Last edited:
Early (mid 90's) work in forged carbon damascus and rosewood from the inimitable Don Hanson:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Here's a 50+ year old Case XX 6250. Given its condition and age, this one stays in the knife case. Sunfish are too heavy and bulky for my EDC needs anyway.

Sunfish01.jpg

Sunfish036a.jpg

I'm seeing some great looking blades here. Blues, that damascus is perfect. Love the Sheepsfoot.
Rick, this one is simply amazing.:thumbup:

Can someone please show one in hand? They must be bigger than they look.

Last edited:
They must be bigger than they look.

I don't have an "in hand" shot for you but the Hanson weighs an honest 9 1/8 ounces, is 4.5" closed and the scales are 1.25" wide. :eek::cool::thumbup:

(In other words, you'd better wear a belt with your suspenders. ;))

Cool, I like a large knife. These are some amazing examples. I am seriously envious of some of your collections. Threads like this give me ideas to work toward.:thumbup:

I might have a photo of one of Don's Sunfish somewhere. Meanwhile, here is one of my favorites.
Greg

orig.jpg

That is gorgeous.
I just made the mistake of looking at the auction site and OMG, there are some incredible examples of this design. At some high prices I might add.

Back