Show Me Your....Sub Hilts!!!

I find myself drawn to sub hilt fighters.

When I was broke, renting a basement in Bayonne as "home", and lived on Ramen noodles 6 days a week (10 for a buck on sale) I scrounged up the money to buy a Cold Steel Black Bear Classic when they came out. I had to have it and still possess it as a reminder of hard times and my lust for sub hilts.

Now I own a home, eat real food, and collect custom knives. I have 2 custom subs incoming and will start the thread with the 2 I am fortunate enough to own.

I've noticed the popularity of the style seems to be picking up. So, ladies and gentlemen...please show me your sub hilts!!!

My first custom sub hilt from my main man, Don. Believe this is his third sub?
HansonSubhilt.jpg

My second was delivered at Blade this year and will probably be familiar to most here because of the cool video progression thread. The first sub from the talented young man named Kyle.
3615099587_12877c1d0d_b.jpg

I'm totally blown away by that Royer. My favorite of his, and one of my favorite knives PERIOD! Hansons is wonderful too of course but more of a standard look for his stuff.

Wish I had something to post.

Here's one I've had awhile that might be presentable enough to show here. For the record, I don't collect D'Holders anymore, but still have some hangin' around here and there.

orig.jpg

Last edited:
Well, Bob, for not collecting DHolder anymore, you do have a fabulous knife there. And holy smokes and flames arising, that subhilt by Kyle is about as good as it gets. Quite an amazing knife.

Well, Bob, for not collecting DHolder anymore, you do have a fabulous knife there. And holy smokes and flames arising, that subhilt by Kyle is about as good as it gets. Quite an amazing knife.

I really agree on this one and wouldn't lie.

Here's one I've had awhile that might be presentable enough to show here. For the record, I don't collect D'Holders anymore, but still have some hangin' around here and there.

orig.jpg

Bob, as you know I am more into folders even though I can
really appreciate a well designed fixed blade.
I therefore feel that your statement above, especially "...that might be
presentable enough to show here....", is a wild understatement!!

After having a sub-hilt design named after me, I more and more admire
these designs and boy, everything about this D' Holder of yours makes
it the perfect sub-hilt design in my book.

Actually I wish it were displayed in one of my books... :)

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Last edited:
Here you go - MLR Subhilt by David Broadwell, ironwood handle.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Roger

I'm not much into Sub hilts but I do have a couple:p

Those are gorgeous :eek:!!!

Picture18399.jpg

Picture18401.jpg

Picture18821.jpg

Picture19172.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Newly reunited Ivory twins:D

Picture19480.jpg

Picture19485.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pic, it was the seller's.
Picked this up from Buddy S. in '06, Jot Khalsa.

standard.jpg

Doug

Seems like everything I see by David Broadwell, I really, really like. The above subhilt is certainly no exception. Same can be said for Kyle Royer's, what a gorgeous piece.

Here are three stages in the making of Edmund Davidson's
Full Integral sub-hilt named "Orgasmatron".

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Orgasmatron%20page.jpg

WOW...some exceptional subhilts in this thread to say the least.

I had the pleasure of holding Kyle's at Blade....it is exquisite!

I also think David Broadwell makes some of the nicest subhilts i've seen. There was an extraordinary one that he had at Blade with damascus by Dave Lisch and engraved by Ray Cover.

Then there are those by Walter Brend.....and Edmund Davidson.......

Peter

here's a couple more for you - plus a bonus Persian fighter from David!
I like both Coop's and Burt's shot of the other one, even if STeven is not a fan of this style:D

As you can see, I like curly koa !
mine and Roger's are almost twins, except for the wood and...mine's bigger:D

I have an ironwood Subhilt from David more in the traditional Loveless mold, but can't seem to find a picture of it right now

Bill

Attachments

• Broadwell-Foster_090307-ww.jpg
    Broadwell-Foster_090307-ww.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 180
  • bowie023-small.jpg
    bowie023-small.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Broadwell_NY08_01-ww.jpg
    Broadwell_NY08_01-ww.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 160
WOW! Just got home from work and was hoping to see a few knives here. Over 30 posted in less than 24 hours and they are all too cool.

Thanks everyone who posted!!! I'm enjoying each of the pics and hoping to see more added over the weekend.

I must say, Stabber; you're a sub hilt wildman. I've never seen so many displayed together.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Back